+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help with domain set up after watching ITidiots podcasts. in General; I have not played around too much with Domains before so watching the It-Idiots podcast has been really useful to ...
    Thank Post

Help with domain set up after watching ITidiots podcasts.

I have not played around too much with Domains before so watching the It-Idiots podcast has been really useful to me. I have watched the first 7 episodes and decided to set up a little test network so instead of watching, i can putt he stuff into practice to make it stick in my mind more.

Here is the scenario,

One Domain, 2 DC's. 2 sites, one DC in each site. Replication set up and working. In the podcast on Sites and Replication they put the two DC in separate sites to cut down on authentication. They set a site scope up for the second site so only ip would be given out to that site.

My test network has a 192.168.1.100 to 200 ip scope the 255.255.255.0 subnet. I connect through a wireless 4 port router which has the ip od 192.168.1.1.

How can i simulate having the second site on a different subnet range of say... 192.168.2.1 to 200 with 255.255.255.0

I must admit my networking knowledge is not the best hence the question.

I just want to try and follow the podcast to help me set up my test network as near as possible and not sure if i can with my home set up.

Thank Post

Re: Help with domain set up after watching ITidiots podcasts

Yeah, you can get this working on your network dude. Your wireless network provides the network which can support any, with a few exceptions, ip network, just don't expect the machines to get access to the Internet if you do change it.

In the old days may networks used to run on a continuous coax cable, 10BaseT to nerds!, and this is a great way to think of your wireless network that your wirelsss router creates. So imagine that all your clients are on the same wire, including a router that routes you off to the Internet whose IP address is 192.168.1.1. Your Wireless network, just like this cable, can support machines on any IP address but if you do not use IPs from the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet they will not be able to see the rouer as the machines will be on a different logical subnet.

To play around with ad sites and services in a virtual environment you need 3 machines min.

Example setup

VM1: domain controller, 192.168.1.100/24 default gateway 192.168.1.2

VM2: domain controller, 192.168.2.100/24 default gateway 192.168.2.2

VM3: Windows Server (Router) configure VM with 2 nics one on 192.168.1.2 and the other on 192.168.2.2.

To get Windows to route on VM3 just load up routing and remote access from the admin menu and then follow the wizard to turn it into a network router.

The nics on all VMs should be bridged and if so these VMs could be distrubuted accross multiple VM hosts. In fact VM1 could be on parallels, VM2 on Virtual PC, and VM3 on VMWare!

Nicky
    Straight from the horses mouth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread