+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Answers on a postcard..... in General; Hi all, I am a regular user of Edugeek, but wanted to put this under another nickname. I'm sure someone ...

Thank Post

Answers on a postcard.....

Hi all,

I am a regular user of Edugeek, but wanted to put this under another nickname. I'm sure someone would still be able to figure out who I am if they really tried, but it adds a level of mystery.

Last February our network manager went. In August (big gap, long story) I applied for the post myself. I didn't get it as I didn't 'have enough management experience', despite me and my colleague running the department very well for six months, and me being in charge of an apprentice for longer than that, but OK fair enough. In October a new manager was finally appointed. I assure you this is not sour grapes as it isn't just my opinion but she is useless. Her IT skills are appalling and she can't manage either. It's not even as though she is weak in a particular area so a bit of training would help, she's just hopeless.

Examples include;
    Spent around two hours on and off trying to connect two laptops to the wireless network. I looked and the wireless just wasn't turned on.
    She didn't know what print server was.
    SIMS wouldn't open on someones laptop because it couldn't find the connect.ini file on the s drive. She didn't have an S drive mapped.
    She was setting up a student laptop. She said it was finished but hadn't installed anti-virus, any windows updates, video driver or the windows 7 product key, but had installed ActiveStudio.
    She has asked me today, three months after starting, if one of our suites is running Windows XP. Everything in the school runs Windows XP and she has been told several times.

The list goes on.

She is not on a probationary period. We are becoming an academy in September. Am I correct in thinking that if I raise this, it's just going to make her aware we think she's rubbish so make the working environment more uncomfortable? A month after she started I mentioned it to one of our deputy heads as I didn't want to get told in six months time 'Why didn't you mention this before?'

They won't sack her will they? They'll drag it on and on over months.

Any help more than welcome!

Me

Thank Post
    If it's anything like here, then SLT probably think the sun shines out of her @rse and she can do no wrong. Do you have a Head of ICT who is savvy enough for you to turn to?

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware, SLT don't really have an opinion on her, but the deputy I raised it with is obviously SLT and I know he did tell the Head too. Head of ICT is a great believer in 'Oh it'll be fine'.

Thank Post
    Ask for a discreet chat with your managers LM and the HR lady. If nothing is said, nothing will be done - they will see that things are running and therefore, she is doing her job.

Thank Post
    Yeah, have a good quiet chat with a member of the SLT team. Give them the examples that you have given here, why did they employ this person?
    What did the CV say?

I honestly can not believe a network manager was employed and struggles with all of that, that to me is all basic Techy work I could do blind folded.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How do people get these jobs if they're not up to it?! The fault has to be with the interview selection / process.

7. Thanks to tech_guy from:

mattx (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Consultants who sit on in the meetings getting it wrong or advice from technicians being ignored?

Thank Post
    Keep a log of all the 'silly things' she does - times, dates, time spent on tasks (in a subtle fashion though!).

Raise your concerns with anyone in SLT who you feel comfortable to do so.

I've seen this sort of thing many times before... it's a sad fact of life that some people can talk the talk, but they get everyone else to do the walking.

You're doing nothing wrong by raising your concerns, if you were in SLT you'd want someone to make you aware of this, wouldn't you?

Thank Post
    Her LM is also the Head of ICT who's the one which always says 'It'll be fine'. I'm logging all the mistakes. She got the job partly because I was one of the other applicants so they didn't run CV's etc past the existing IT department due to fears of us being slightly biased. The people who saw the CVs which I'm aware of were the Head (no technical knowledge at all and happily admits that), her LM (who thinks he knows about IT and doesn't) and a governor who works for BT. I'm just a bit wary that raising it will be a fruitless exercise and just cause more friction, particularly if we're becoming an academy in 7 months time and who knows what they'll do with us all when they get here!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    <unhelpful comment>
    Wow, sounds like the IT Crowd! Hand her a box and tell her its the internet!
    </unhelpful comment>

12. 6 Thanks to Little-Miss:

CAM (31st January 2011), gibbo_ap (31st January 2011), LosOjos (4th May 2011), mattx (31st January 2011), PICNIC (2nd February 2011), Rydra (1st February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernickname View Post
    She got the job partly because I was one of the other applicants so they didn't run CV's etc past the existing IT department due to fears of us being slightly biased. The people who saw the CVs which I'm aware of were the Head (no technical knowledge at all and happily admits that), her LM (who thinks he knows about IT and doesn't) and a governor who works for BT.
    That's appalling - after all they wouldn't expect a non-teacher to interview a teacher or assess their ability to teach. They could have asked the tech department of another school to take a look at the CVs - having removed the names first.
    What about references? She must have had them? Did she work locally?
    It *may* be that she appeared to have very good management skills and they decided that as they have very good technical skills (that'd be you) that management is what they needed?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 963 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you went for the job they may see your complaints as sour grapes, so if others are aware of her limitations (IT teachers, maybe) it might be worth having a quiet word with those you can trust to put a word in as well. Careful who you trust in schools though, politics is all too important in these places still

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    How do people get these jobs if they're not up to it?! The fault has to be with the interview selection / process.
    I read an interview with a woman who was in quite a highly paid job that she'd worked up to by fabricating her CV. She'd see a job she thought she could do and basically lie her way into it. Apparently she only once got a post where she found it difficult to cope due to not actually being as qualified as she was claiming.

Perhaps this is your NM's time for that.

Anyway, my sympathies. Been in a similar situation (minus the useless person being hired instead of me part) and it doesn't exactly boost your confidence. Mind you, in my case my first replacement came in, announced he was leaving (for his old job) and when the regional manager (who I really didn't get on with) turned up to berate him he said everything I and most of the other managers wanted to say to the RM as he didn't need any sort of reference!

Thank Post
    To be honest .. Id stick to my job and let her stick to hers.

rad
    Thank Post
    I agree about keeping notes and a record of things, it makes it easier later to refer if needed, also you don't want to be a snitch as you didn't get the job you applied for.

Why not question her about her past, bring it into a conversation somehow with the other Tech, for instance asking if she has had to do any disaster recovery, or the time someone asked for the downright stupid. Sounds daft but it will open up issues or give a view as to her past.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast