Poll: Why are you working in the school sector?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why are you a school tech? in General; Hah, yes. I worked in infant/primary while I freelanced after the stint at the council...that was fun. Helping little people ...
    Thank Post

Re: Why are you a school tech?

Hah, yes. I worked in infant/primary while I freelanced after the stint at the council...that was fun. Helping little people learn how to use RM windowbox and fingerpainting..I'd do it again! The roamers were just a kiddified Big-Trak, and that suited me fine.

Secondary is OK, but at primary age the kids are so much less abrasive.. We get Lego Mindstorms though, so..it has compensations.

Thank Post

Well, Having never worked out side of education sector, I can't say much about that...

For me I like working in the education sector (Childrens Services) as theres never a dull moment where there's pupils and teaching staff!

I left school took up an early opportunity to become an apprentice at a local college, after completing my 3 year apprenticeship at the college, I decided to up-sticks and take up job working in a secondary school,not to far from home.. and I must say I've never looked back.. YES I know the pay isn't up to much, but the experiences and training that I've received have been good.

If you like the job your doing, stick with it , PAY isn't everthing in life, being happy in what you do is!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exactly. A wise person once told me it's not the money that's important in a job, it's the enjoyment and happiness it brings

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts

I worked in Techical Support for a major insurance company for 10 years, having previously been a programmer at a couple of places.

When my own children got to school age, on-call and nights became impractical (and we could finally afford to be without my income) and I left. However, I started helping at the children's school, an ofsted inspection combined with a major virus on all the PCs, they realised I knew about computers and one thing led to another...

I've moved on now to a school nearer my home. I am "on call" because I'm part-time, but the hours suit and I'm keeping my hand in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries

I now no longer work in a school, but still work within education. I love it, and for quite a few very valid reasons.

1. Every day is different.

2. You get to learn and play with more technologies than you would if you got pigeon holed in industry (email tech, DB tech, helpdesk etc). You do them all.

3. Seeing the kids arrive at year 7 and grow up is a great thing to watch.

4. They are little devious b******s who ensure you skills never, ever slip.

5. A fair degree of autonomy in your working day. You do what you need to when you need to.

6 The seven weeks in summer when there is just you there to get things done is pure bliss.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Social responsibility.

Thank Post

Pay cheque at the end of the month, couple with the need to buy food...

That said, I've been here 15 years, so it can't be all that bad!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Exactly. A wise person once told me it's not the money that's important in a job, it's the enjoyment and happiness it brings
    How many people do actually enjoy their job though? I don't think there are many. I personally love my job, but I am the only person in my family that does. Everyone else hates going into work each day. I consider myself extremely lucky to have found a job I like, especially so soon after leaving college.

Thank Post

Never really worked outside education, unless you count jobs I did when I was younger - under 16. But I would say one of the main reasons is to make a difference. For example the last three years I have been able to work with some highly talented students, introducing them to Linux, seeing them test different distros, learn how to code, and setting up weird and wonderful things, such as a beowulf cluster! There are lots of things I enjoy about the job, some things I don't, I think I might have to stay well at least until BSF kicks me out.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Why am I a school ITTech? Someone I know phoned me up and said "Fancy a job? it'll be ~£17k for 42weeks/yr and basically money for old rope". Considering I'd just finished uni and had spent the summer sitting around doing SweetFA I said yes.

I worked in industry before and during university, but that was as a consultant and programmer, which is far removed from what I do now, and this job is MUCH more enjoyable than programming (but pays nowhere near the same amount)

Why am I still here? Mixture of lack of jobs in my area; I'm overqualified for the low end jobs (ie they think i won't stick around) and underexperianced for the more advanced jobs (ie they want someone who's doing what i've been doing now for 6+years) and the fact there is still alot of work to do and I'd like to get everything able to run with little support. I also enjoy the 'basically my own boss' thing.

I could do without a 1hour each way drive though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy
    Secondary is OK, but at primary age the kids are so much less abrasive.. We get Lego Mindstorms though, so..it has compensations.
    We just got Lego Mindstorms at one of my primaries and I spent a fun-filled couple of hours 'thoroughly testing' the new hardware

It's fantastic!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

When i left the forces (due to ill health) I got a job in the company as a network administrator. What a right mess i.e due to the way its was run it goes through 3 stages befor i got it. then i would diagnose the problem. But them if it is a hardware issue i could not fix it only if it was a profile network issue any thing else and it goes to someone else. now i work in a school I diagnose fix repair change update ect ect and it felt a lot better i know now why people get so annoyed in bisness.

Thank Post

Many reasons for me

First and most important is that I ENJOY it. OK not to the extent where I would rather be there than in my warm bed on a winter morning, but generally once Im in work, its normally pretty good. Very rarely do I come home in a bad mood.

Also, for my age, and previous experiance, there is nowhere in industry that would give me control over such a large network and so many users, I love the freedom of being able to introduce new things and change whatever I want (within reason)

Lucky enough to be in a school with a lot of money too, so we can pretty much afford any new technology, which allows me to get experiance in a lot of new stuff, although sometimes its a downside because SMT occasionally demand things we really dont need, and cause us headaches.

I love being able to do different things, anything from swapping a mouse to setting up a server, and rather than just being an expert in one area, I can be competent in many, and always expand my range.

Its so much better than it would be in an office environment, with stressed workers and the realisation that a lost file or network downtime could lose the company thousands, and you your job.
    Not to say security and reliability arnt important in a school, but its a much less stressful network to run.

Finally, I really like the users. The kids are mostly great and quite often give me a good laugh with the things they get up to. Certain staff members are a pain, but overall most of the teachers are really decent people, and I get on well with them. SMT also take a dim view of any staff being abusive or condescending to us, so we get treated with respect, and staff are generally very grateful for help, which is nice.

The only thing I dont like is the pay. Im OK at the minute as I still live at home but obviously I want to move out, and that will be difficult on £18k. Hopefully there is scope to increase pay but if not, I may have to leave the education sector in the next year or so.
    I suppose I hope Im irreplaceable and they would offer me a huge pay rise to stay but I know thats not something that will happen

Thank Post

Ummm - getting made redundant when over 40 in the IT workplace can be a real problem. I'd been around in industry for a long time, and hadn't had problems getting a job when I was younger - last time was a 'mare though and I went from being a "high up" ICT Manager to first line telephone support - miserable...

When the opportunity to do this came along - I took it - at least it was interesting - if badly paid. The hours are nice though, as are the holiday periods.

I still miss working in an environment where people are actually in charge though and when decisions are taken, they are kept to (...or else!) and where planning for any major changes consists of more than some spud having a bright idea. More or less resigned myself to being stuck though - as even interviews are becoming few and far between nowadays, despite experience and qualifications. *sigh*

Thank Post

Job security and a good pension are high on the list not worried about BSF. Great hours and holidays which for me is the same as teachers, not a chance I will be in school on the 6 weeks holidays. That added with a large range of technology and challenges what’s not to like about the job? They even let me go on trips with the children already been horse riding 6 times this year.

Wages might not be the best but I will take happy over high wages any day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast