+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Dog in General; Been contemplating getting a dog for a number of months now, and have had one eye on the local re-homing ...

Thank Post

New Dog

Been contemplating getting a dog for a number of months now, and have had one eye on the local re-homing centres over that time.

Woke up this morning, checked site, and they got a new dog in - a black lab/cocker cross, but we think he has a bit collie in him too. He's absolutely lush, and wanted to share our new family member with you all.

He's so calm, and I can't wait to take him camping with us in the summer months.

New Dog-180468_490658108774_505723774_6186474_4480172_n.jpg

Thank Post
    Yay for dogs! I'd love to have one, but sadly have neither the time or the money...

He looks a lovely fella. What's his name?

3. Thanks to dayzd from:

Hightower (29th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Allie. He was brought in because his previous owners moved house and weren't allowed pets in the new house. He's 2, and I reckon I'm gonna have so much fun taking him up mountains and such.

Thank Post
    Looks a really lovely dog, nice one!
    Sounds like hopefully he has a labrador brain rather than a cocker spaniel brain, but it does take dogs a while to regain their personality after they've had the upheaval and distress of a rescue centre. Good on ya though for getting a rescue dog, it really is unbelievable how some people treat their pets and it's nice to see one get a good home :-)

6. 2 Thanks to teejay:

Hightower (29th January 2011), mac_shinobi (30th January 2011)

Thank Post
    He's a cracker mate.

8. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    He's lovely and I am so pleased you got him from a rescue centre. We got our dog, Smudge, from a local centre 10 years ago and have never regretted it for one second.
    He's a terrier mongrel and is now 11 but acts like a 2 year old!
    I must admit I don't know why people buy pedigree dogs -there is no guarantee that they will be healthy or good tempered. Besides, most breeds have their own rescue centres, and often have pedigree dogs available that need homes.
    I'm sure that you will have many happy years with Allie

10. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a good dog, with the lab in him he should have a great temprement.

I also echo the positive sentiments about the rescue centre approach. My familly actually volunteered as a foster home for one in NZ so have had a lot of great dogs pass through from sometimes aweful circumstances to new homes. Humane Society

The pure bread thing is also a mystery to me as so many pure breads have really shoddy genetic thanks to human interfearence in their breading making them way more likely to have major issues in the future than a cross-breed.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th January 2011 at 06:58 PM.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Until yesterday, I'd have said Rescue Centres are the place to go and possibly it is for dogs, but one of our TAs took their kids to a Rescue Centre and they fell in love with a cat. The RC said they would need a home visit first and really messed them around so much they had to say forget it. It would have cost several hundred pounds to fit the cat flap etc they were told they must have. The TA told this story at break and one of the teachers said a girl in his class had a cat with kittens. So she's going to have one of those instead.

Your dog looks lovely Hightower and I am sure he will give you years of love and affection

14. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    We went with the view to look/walk him only, but it got our heart strings when we saw all the dogs, all seeking some form of love and attention. He went in with his mam, and we wish we could have taken them both, but with us being new to owning a dog it really wouldn't have been suitable. It won't take long for his mam to be snapped up cos she was gorgeous too.

I spoke to my younger brother just before, and it turns out he also got a dog from the same re-homing centre an hour or so after us - how is that for coincedence?!

Thank Post
    It's strange though, because he won't eat unless we're in the kitchen with him, he won't have a quick wee in the yard unless we're in the yard with him - guess it's going to take a few days/weeks/months to gain his trust that we're still gonna be here when he comes back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    It's strange though, because he won't eat unless we're in the kitchen with him, he won't have a quick wee in the yard unless we're in the yard with him - guess it's going to take a few days/weeks/months to gain his trust that we're still gonna be here when he comes back.
    Keen to please also mate, lots of "good boy" when he does a wee etc.

My pup's almost a year now (she's a 30kg monster though) and she like dogs do thrives on positive reinforcement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Awww he looks as if he is going to be so much fun! i bet he would love the mountains and hills! Yay!

I lost my dog a few years ago (15Years Old) and my mum has not wanted another one since, but i'd like to get another one in the near future, i miss how much fun they can be!

*I kept my dogs ashes though they stay in the living room on display in a glass cabinet

19. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    It can take a long, long time for rescue dogs to settle in and regain the trust and confidence. Plenty of attention when he does something right, but also don't be too soft on him either or he won't learn his place in his new pack which will cause all sorts of problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Keen to please also mate, lots of "good boy" when he does a wee etc.

My pup's almost a year now (she's a 30kg monster though) and she like dogs do thrives on positive reinforcement.
    Aye, plenty of that. "Get down off the couch"..... "good boy!"

P.S. How did you manage with a pup and a full-time job?

Thank Post
    I spoke to my younger brother just before, and it turns out he also got a dog from the same re-homing centre an hour or so after us - how is that for coincedence?!
    Wasn't his "Mam" was it? That would be too weird.

He looks like a really nice dog - I hope you have great fun together.

On the rehoming thing, I think it is really admirable that people do this as all domestic animals deserve a good loving home and I can't understand the mentality of some of the people who treat their Animals badly, and also it is a shame that circumstances sometimes force people to have to part with much loved pets.

That said we avoided getting a Dog from the rehoming centre as we didn't feel we would be happy with not knowing the genuine background he came from. If we didn't have a very small child then we would probably have gone for a rehome.

Ours is one year old now too - just shy of 6 stone (don't know what that is in kg) and we have had a cracking first year with him, hard work tho.

Good luck with him ht.
    Last edited by superfletch; 29th January 2011 at 08:44 PM.

23. Thanks to superfletch from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast