+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Dog in General; @EduTech Must be quite a wrench not having a dog once your used to having one around. Ours is just ...

Thank Post
    @EduTech Must be quite a wrench not having a dog once your used to having one around. Ours is just coming up to 15, he's losing his sight, has arthritis and digestion problems. Up to about a year ago he would race to the front door as soon as you put the key in the lock, now he just lays there and takes a good few minutes before he manages to get up. Just trying to give him as nice a time as possible at the moment as it's won't be long before we come home and he stays on his bed or we have to pay 'that' visit to the vet. Really dreading it as although we've really loved all the dogs we've had, this one has been very special.

2. Thanks to teejay from:

Hightower (29th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    @EduTech Must be quite a wrench not having a dog once your used to having one around. Ours is just coming up to 15, he's losing his sight, has arthritis and digestion problems. Up to about a year ago he would race to the front door as soon as you put the key in the lock, now he just lays there and takes a good few minutes before he manages to get up. Just trying to give him as nice a time as possible at the moment as it's won't be long before we come home and he stays on his bed or we have to pay 'that' visit to the vet. Really dreading it as although we've really loved all the dogs we've had, this one has been very special.
    Yeah she is really missed, coming home from work and having her jump up and lick you with joy does put a smile on your face after a bad day at work.

I had a "German Shephered" and from the day we went and saw her i have always been attached to her, and she always used to look out for me when taken for a walk etc. She sat in my lap and went to sleep when we went and viewed the 4 from the pool of puppies and always knew she was the one.

Sadly missed. but she had a good life.

J

EDIT: I did have a Husky for a month or so of a friend of mine, we were going to keep Zeus but it wrecked the entire house (like literally!) so had to give him back to mate.

New Dog-zeus-snow.jpg
    New Dog-zeus-1.jpg
    Last edited by EduTech; 29th January 2011 at 09:00 PM.

4. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Nah, my brother wanted a little terrier.

It was shocking the amount of staffies in the kennels. Asked the girl why, and she said once the scallies have paraded them around for a few weeks they get ditched - sickening.

Thank Post
    P.S. How did you manage with a pup and a full-time job?
    I work from home a lot of the time and she goes to work with my father in law (on a farm) so she's in her element.

She's a Labradoodle (from the standard poodle not the little one)

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/pupf.jpg

Watching CSI I think in this one ... never known a dog that will sit and watch TV and pay attention. (more on my facebook if anyone wants to see her grow from tiny to monster in 6 months).

Bit better this one ... at least she's looking albeit with devil eyes.

http://img52.imageshack.us/i/3805942...3468742763.jpg
    Last edited by kmount; 29th January 2011 at 09:03 PM.

7. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Nah, my brother wanted a little terrier.

It was shocking the amount of staffies in the kennels. Asked the girl why, and she said once the scallies have paraded them around for a few weeks they get ditched - sickening.
    So silly - staffies are lovely dogs and are usually very keen on children - to play with, not to eat!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So silly - staffies are lovely dogs and are usually very keen on children - to play with, not to eat!
    Yeah - they are meant to be real sticklers for their master, and I would have considered one had it not had the chav badge attached to it.

Just had the dog out, and he pee's like a bitch. It looks funny, but is great because he has one long pee instead of cocking his leg at every lamp post. He must have learnt how to pee from his mother hehe.

Can't wait to bath him, because it's snowing up here again, and he now has that 'fresh from the kennels wet dog smell' about him. Thing is, it's not very warm to let him dry in the yard if I do bath him so it will have to wait.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Looks a really lovely dog, nice one!
    Sounds like hopefully he has a labrador brain rather than a cocker spaniel brain, but it does take dogs a while to regain their personality after they've had the upheaval and distress of a rescue centre. Good on ya though for getting a rescue dog, it really is unbelievable how some people treat their pets and it's nice to see one get a good home :-)
    Just to emphasize the above in bold

Me and the missus have fostered in a lot of dogs ( mostly pups that were puppy farmed to start with and didn't have the best start in life ) but also some other dogs that were older then a new born pup but were say 8 weeks old or so or could still be considered pups ie a few months old ( 4 / 5 or so months ). I would say approximately 95% have all been re homed to a permanent and good home ( inc owners ) where as some had been returned once or twice and re homed again and the 2nd or 3rd time they have stayed with the new ( er ) owners in a good home however there are as stated above lots of dogs who are picked up / bad situations / bad owners who mis treat them in a bad way

We have 2 black labs now - sky was a rescue ( female ) pic attached of her not long after we had her, although she was smaller then that as have a pic of her somewhere next to my apple keyboard and she was smaller then that.

New Dog-sky.jpg

11. 2 Thanks to mac_shinobi:

Hightower (30th January 2011), kmount (30th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Cracking looking girl Shane.

I've decided when I win the lottery or get rich somehow I want an animal charity having seen just badly treated some animals are makes me sick.

13. Thanks to kmount from:

mac_shinobi (30th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Cracking looking girl Shane.

I've decided when I win the lottery or get rich somehow I want an animal charity having seen just badly treated some animals are makes me sick.
    Mutual feelings on all of the above and thanks

My other lab is called Mac ( hehe ) moving along swiftly

We originally got him ( paid for ) and did not realise at the time until he was about 5 or 6 months old that he was having issues and realised that we got him from a puppy farmer due to said puppy farmer being on rogue traders, he offered to take him back but we point blank refused as it's not like he is a dvd player with a bust laser lense, had both back hip replacements and has an issue with a slipped disc or something similar now which he is on meds for but might have to operate on later.

Thought the lotto funded charity type things - could be totally wrong, other then that the only way of doing it would be to win a substantial amount on the lotto.

Did 3 lines last saturday on normal lotto and 2 on euro millions and didn't see anything, sigh

Thank Post
    We rescued our dog at the end of march last year, he was 6months old and we found out a few months later that we were indeed his 3rd owners! he suffered from seperation anxiety so had a tendancy to damage to furniture and scratch at carpets so his preivious owners just gave up. With some hard training and lots of love and the use of a crate hes now 95% over his anxiety and we can leave him roaming the house whilst were out. Hes 16months now and weighs over 40kg and is the softest daftest lump!

16. 2 Thanks to kevbaz:

Hightower (31st January 2011), kmount (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    He is beautiful!

Thank Post
    I lost my old girl last Jan and she was 16.5 years old. The last three years she had gone deaf which was a godsend come firework night. It was the hardest thing ever letting her go. As the months went by I considered another dog but had three close family deaths to deal with and kept putting it off. Finally got my wee Izzy in November and she is fabulous. Now 18 weeks of high energy lol in fact has started teething at the moment. I never thought I would find happiness again in another dog cause in a weird way I thought I would feel disloyal to Jess. But this little bundle of fun makes me smile big time. I am so happy for you Hightower as I remember we were both kinda looking at rescue centres around the same time last year. My Izz is a Miniature Schnauzer.

19. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

Hightower (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    We have 2 westies (brothers) from the Westie Rescue people in Swindon. We went on a reunion day back last year where there were over a hundred rehomed westies all parading round collecting their rosettes. They do some fantastic work there and our two dogs (Jack + Teddy) have been amazing little dogs from day one. Jack loves to watch TV and barks at the other animals when they come on, whereas Teddy is just happy to lie on his back and have lots of fuss.

21. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Our last dog was a rescue in a way, the wife's aunty & uncle were getting rid of him as being a terrier he kept taking a liking to her young cousin's rabbits. (strange that!) The cousins were told they could either keep the dog and not have any more rabbits, etc. or get rid of the dog - they chose the latter. If we didn't take him then he would have gone to the RSPCA but we decided to have him. The first couple of months were a little trying at time but Sandy finally settled down and beacame a wonderful dog, often acting like a puppy but we decided that was because he was never really allowed to be a puppy.

We keep looking at the local dog rescue but since the wife was made redundant she has been working at a company that's too far away to go home at lunch time. We'd therefore need to find one that could be left all day although our next door neighbour complicated things yesterday when she said that she would happily take him for a walk at lunchtime.

23. Thanks to 36Degrees from:

Thank Post
    Just had to drop Allie off at the vets this morning - getting the snip. Poor soul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast