+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, You are not going to believe this.....Major cockup by DFE in General; I was helping our school office team by taking off their hands the completed data for the Department for Children, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

You are not going to believe this.....Major cockup by DFE

I was helping our school office team by taking off their hands the completed data for the Department for Children, School and families Census.
    On up loading the data it fell over with this error message:

An error occurred uploading the file. Please contact your system administrator.
    FileName: 25_01_11_1135.txt
    Details: Error parsing the file: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 2191, position 16.

I rang them up and you won't believe why it failed.....
    It's because when the file is being checked in, it does not like hyphens and apostrophes in the EntityName field.

I was informed you have to mannually edit the file and take these out - of course notepad does not have line numbers in, luckerly I am doing it so I use SciTE. This sort of begs the question what oaf and what testing took place on this as everyone and anyone will know that people have double-barrelled names with hyphens and names with apostrophes !!

Quite worrying that there are people working for the government that can't code correctly and that no proper testing seems to get done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The goto command in the edit menu of notepad does send you right to line numbers but I totally agree that failing on hyphens is pathetic on a list of names.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

AngryTechnician (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Quite worrying that there are people working for the government that can't code correctly and that no proper testing seems to get done.
    Not surprising really, if David Cameron is "the boss", then theoretically it only gets worse from there down... damn, time to get out of the country, quick!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Not surprising really, if David Cameron is "the boss", then theoretically it only gets worse from there down... damn, time to get out of the country, quick!
    Problem is, what country do you go to??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The format of the census file changes quite often from what I gather, and at my last school we had a bespoke MIS which needed changes making almost every time. From what the NM told me, the validation that takes place during upload very often doesn't match up with the format specification document, so sadly the only thing about your story that surprises me is that this is the first problem you've had.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

mattx (28th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Egypt ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What's it like in NZ?

On topic though - has anybody ever seen any programming jobs going wth the DfE/Government? I haven't seen any, and I suspect that the people they get working on these things aren't all programmers, most likely one programmer and a team of "project managers" (because we all know how much the Gov. love to have a hundred managers to an office) all chipping in their two pence. I can't imagine why else anybody who has been tasked with coding a program/system that is going to be used by every school in the nation would make such a crap job of it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    sadly the only thing about your story that surprises me is that this is the first problem you've had.
    PMSL - well I've found the problem - wish me luck as I go to upload it again....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    On topic though - has anybody ever seen any programming jobs going wth the DfE/Government?
    An awful lot of it it outsourced to Capita at exorbitant rates. I actually know someone who used to be a contractor for Capita doing exactly this kind of work (I almost disowned him when I found out). He left a short time ago due to frustration with Capita's extremely poor management of almost all the technical work he was involved with.

Thank Post
    Oh dear - it's failed again:

The element name - //IndependentSchools/NilReturn/PostTitle is either invalid or not in the expected position within the file.

This process is a complete joke.
    Last edited by mattx; 28th January 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Oooo - been asked to take a screen shot now and send it in to them !! This venture is now rather exciting for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Oooo - been asked to take a screen shot now and send it in to them !! This venture is now rather exciting for me.
    You sad bunny! You really do need to get out more :-)

15. Thanks to srochford from:

mattx (28th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    You sad bunny! You really do need to get out more :-)
    Very true, but come on, this beats showing someone how to calibrate a IWB for the zillionith time and clearing printer jams......To keep my mood 'up' I'm now listening to some Big Band on Spotify......

Thank Post
    Spotify is the saviour of many a gloomy day! Currently listening to a band my mate's just introduced me to, The Black Keys - amazing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I imagine he was sat in the development meetings just nodding his head when the feature list was announced. I suspect he had about as much to do with this as I do with the pidgeon fanciers guild of New Mexico.

19. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

CAM (28th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information