+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, ICT White Elephants in General; ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ouch...

Re: ICT White Elephants

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ouch

Thank Post

Hmm, do I contribute.... if I do, I can probably never reveal my identity. What the hell.....

1) managed website providers
    2) A parallel port webcam I discovered amongst some old crap
    3) Intel Microscope - quite cool, but doesn't really get used.
    4) CD servers, got two in a cupboard.
    5) Laptops for Teachers, when given to teachers who _never_ use them.
    6) LEA managed portals that are the laughing stock of other portal providers.
    7) LEA mail forwarding / filtering - where the _hell_ does it go? We lose, on average 10-15% of our mail - doesn't bounce, not blocked and not user stupidity, just enters the LEA and disappears.
    8) Apart from a few really good pieces, most curriculum software.

Thank Post

Last summer the Head wanted a display in the hall to play movies and music, display powerpoints and other such things during lunch times.

So we bought a 50" top of the line Sony Plasma Screen, decent seperates sound system a video and DVD and a Mediacentre pc to connect it all up. We had to build a custom cabinet to house all this. Toal cost of the job around 7k

Times used since summer last year 3.

Utter utter utter pointless waste of time and money. A teacher used it the other day and complained that he did not like the wireless mouse.

Thank Post

Bromcom electronic registration, we did try to use it for 1/2 a term and did manage to sell it to someone else though ! he he he

SIMS ? on its way out, more updates than Windows XP

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

For my school there are two things.

First was the Macromedia Studio suite. OK, I know in the grand scheme of things its hardly a white elephant but anyway....

About two years ago the school spent £2000 on a Studio MX v6 site licence. The head of ICT demanded it. So ok, we ordered it, received it, got it installed on the majority of PCs and then the bloody ICT Department went straight back to Frontpage! For two years the primary use of the whole suite was for year 9 students drawing animated knobs in Flash!

When challenged about it, the ICT head said it was so she could "get to know it and get trained in it". You can download a bloody trail version of it you know missus, try that.

To cap it all off, we had a new ICT teacher join us this year who does actually know how to use the software. The first thing she did? Demand an upgrade to the latest version. Another £2k gone from our ELCs, Studio 8 installed on PCs which can't take it (and on ones that can) and the new teacher now demanding we replace the PCs in her room ahead of schedule.

Second thing is a VLE called Digital Brain. I don't know if anyone else has come across it. In my opinion it is the most cumbersome, unfriendly useless, expensive POS on the planet. Every teacher in the school loathes it with a passion and its costing us more than £4000 a year. For that kind of money I could build an extremely powerful server and stick Moodle on it and still have at least £1000 change.

As for Bromcom and SIMS.net, I don't like them but they're necessary evils and now that teachers are getting used to them they're starting to get OK.

Thank Post

I once spent some time working in the Corporate support team for a welsh university. The then Vice-Chancellor insisted on having both English and Welsh-language versions of all the software on his office PC.

Toward the end of my time there, I was asked to move his PC because he wanted his office rearranged. When I went to do this, I discovered his PC had not been plugged into the network or even the mains, it had sat in his office with no power or network and he'd never even tried to use it!

Thank Post

[quote="Norphy"]Second thing is a VLE called Digital Brain. I don't know if anyone else has come across it. In my opinion it is the most cumbersome, unfriendly useless, expensive POS on the planet. Every teacher in the school loathes it with a passion and its costing us more than £4000 a year. For that kind of money I could build an extremely powerful server and stick Moodle on it and still have at least £1000 change.
    quote]

We have exactly the same problems with DigitalBrain at present. Deputyheads from 12 local secondary schools decided to sign up after a day of waffle from a digital brain seminar, the schools all expected to share resources amongst the partnership. Only thing that has happened so far is that over the last 2 years we have paid nearly £7k per annum for absolutely nothing. The ICT Co-ordinator was give the title "Champion" and he just hasn't bothered trying to push this waste of money at all.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by theshirt
    Bromcom electronic registration, we did try to use it for 1/2 a term and did manage to sell it to someone else though ! he he he

SIMS ? on its way out, more updates than Windows XP
    I'd like some more info on this move away from Bromcom electronic registration, please. We're currently trialling (for the last 12 months) a beta (so why does it cost us?) of something called Osmis, which is supposed to dovetail with Sims, and support has all but died off. The talk now is of moving back to Bromcom on quite favourable terms. Are we in frying pan and fire territory here?
    beeswax

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234