+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Laptop Purchases - when? in General; Originally Posted by maniac In my opinion you have to compromise between what is ideal from a support/technical persepctive and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    In my opinion you have to compromise between what is ideal from a support/technical persepctive and what is ideal from a financial persepctive. You have to admit that getting rid of a computer just because it's hit 3yrs old doesn't make economic sense, but then the other extreme of keeping machines until they literally stop working also doesn't make sense, the compromise is somewhere inbetween.

What I do here is evaluate our estate of machines at regular intervals throughout the year and make decisions on whether to start retiring certain types of machine based on various factors. The number of support calls to them for hardware failures, the cost of and availability of spare parts and the ability of the machine to still function to an acceptable level are the main factors I will look at, along with the quantity of them still in use and the physical appearance of them. What I tend to do is retire a percentage of older machines at stratigic points in order to supply spare parts to keep the rest going for a while longer.

It's all about flexibility in my opinion, money is tight so you've got to compromise.

Mike.
    Yeah, I get that. But it's not about retiring them at 3 years, it's about recirculating. We're still using 05 and 06 laptops because they move around and do different jobs...if they remain as frontline machines, not only will we have nothing to recirculate, but they'll wear out quicker or get damaged BER much sooner. The state most 3 year old laptops come back to us in it's a wonder most of them go on to do another year or so of effective use, but a significant number are fit for only spares after 3 years, too. For me the compromise is do we want to prolong their life and put them to good use by removing them from the frontline, or do we cling on to them until they roll over and die, which means either current non-teacher uses won't make use of them or we'll be purchasing just as many news ones anyway to compensate.

It's a tough call.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Yeah, I get that. But it's not about retiring them at 3 years, it's about recirculating. We're still using 05 and 06 laptops because they move around and do different jobs...if they remain as frontline machines, not only will we have nothing to recirculate, but they'll wear out quicker or get damaged BER much sooner. The state most 3 year old laptops come back to us in it's a wonder most of them go on to do another year or so of effective use, but a significant number are fit for only spares after 3 years, too. For me the compromise is do we want to prolong their life and put them to good use by removing them from the frontline, or do we cling on to them until they roll over and die, which means either current non-teacher uses won't make use of them or we'll be purchasing just as many news ones anyway to compensate.

It's a tough call.
    Yes we move equipment around the school a lot to make sure the needs of the individual/department are met by the equipment we give them. This doesn't necessarily mean we'll replace equipment at a set interval thou, I evaluate it and decide when it's appropreate. E.g last year we decided to decomission all the Staff D520 laptops because they were really showing their age and we were getting lots of complaints about them. These were simply moved into use by students in certain areas of the school where they could still be useful instead of buying those areas new equiment which would have been wasted on them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Yes we move equipment around the school a lot to make sure the needs of the individual/department are met by the equipment we give them. This doesn't necessarily mean we'll replace equipment at a set interval thou, I evaluate it and decide when it's appropreate. E.g last year we decided to decomission all the Staff D520 laptops because they were really showing their age and we were getting lots of complaints about them. These were simply moved into use by students in certain areas of the school where they could still be useful instead of buying those areas new equiment which would have been wasted on them.
    Like you say - it's a compromise. Set intervals allow for better planning, getting better deals on prices due to bulk ordering, better scheduling of replacements for us in support as well as staff, less images to make and store, improved leasing arrangements...set against cost...which, over three years, may not be so wide as to cause issues in all those other areas. I've had to work both ways - I remain in favour of scheduled replacements. But it's good to hear the other side of the coin, also.

Thank Post
    If you want to keep a 3 year cycle, what about investigating how much you would get on ebay for the old laptops, you'd be surprised what they go for. Just remember to do a full secure data wipe and then restore the original OS it was supplied with. I really do avoid using laptops with students, apart from some for SEN, as they just get trashed so quickly it's just not viable for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    If you want to keep a 3 year cycle, what about investigating how much you would get on ebay for the old laptops, you'd be surprised what they go for. Just remember to do a full secure data wipe and then restore the original OS it was supplied with. I really do avoid using laptops with students, apart from some for SEN, as they just get trashed so quickly it's just not viable for us.
    We continue making use of them until they die a natural death - even if its for parts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12