+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What Class Are You? in General; I would personally say that household income is the mainstay, forget the rest, and I'd classify the broader classes as ...

Thank Post
    I would personally say that household income is the mainstay, forget the rest, and I'd classify the broader classes as this, with lower/middle/upper within each:

If you earn less than 50k per year as a household, then you are of the working class; You actually have to pay attention to what you earn and what you spend. You work for your living and have no alternative but to work, probably till you retire at 60+.
    Middle class would be 50-100k per year, then you are living above comfortably, nice house, car, holidays to most places you can think of, but your still on a salary so can't go and buy a new merc every 2 years. You are probably looking at an early retirement, a holiday home somewhere hot or a nice country cottage, or you can chose not to work on occassion.

Upper class, simply don't care about money most of the time. You can buy pretty much what you want, live and do what you want, and essentially chose what work you do and when you do it.

2. 2 Thanks to Rydra:

AWicher (26th January 2011), MK-2 (26th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those numbers are definitely out. 50k is far too high for middle class. Teachers are professionals, and therefore middle class and they can earn from 22k up.

It isn't simply down to funds, it is a mix of factors such as job, location, background, funds, interests, etc...

Thank Post
    i would go with @Rydra interpretation, but then we have the division of each class group. But, it only seems to be the people in that class who would then workout where they fall. so take 50k as household income as middle class, a family earning 80k to 100k would then in my view become the upper middle class. Don’t think lower middleclass works though. And vice versa upper class have their own measurement they would use.

Thank Post
    I think Ryda is correct although it is more of an American way of thinking.

The USA system of Class is based on Money - Poor, Wealthy and Rich and the idea is you can move between levels simply by getting more money.

The English system is you are born into your class and don't move around regardless of money. If your parents are upper class, you went to a posh school etc. then even if you are penniless and homeless you would still be upper class.
    Last edited by somabc; 26th January 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was

56/100 Economic,
    90/100 Social
    80/100 Cultural

I think it is talking rubbish though - if my social circle was that good I should be looking for a job as a director at a bank.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 26th January 2011 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I would personally say that household income is the mainstay, forget the rest, and I'd classify the broader classes as this, with lower/middle/upper within each:

If you earn less than 50k per year as a household, then you are of the working class; You actually have to pay attention to what you earn and what you spend. You work for your living and have no alternative but to work, probably till you retire at 60+.
    Middle class would be 50-100k per year, then you are living above comfortably, nice house, car, holidays to most places you can think of, but your still on a salary so can't go and buy a new merc every 2 years. You are probably looking at an early retirement, a holiday home somewhere hot or a nice country cottage, or you can chose not to work on occassion.

Upper class, simply don't care about money most of the time. You can buy pretty much what you want, live and do what you want, and essentially chose what work you do and when you do it.
    So is Wayne Rooney Upper Class then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Your results

You scored 92/100 for economic capital.

Your financial resources are higher than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 100/100 for social capital.

Your social network is wider than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 100/100 for cultural capital.

Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

Intresting on the culture, I've never left the UK! But I do go to the theatre often so maybe that makes me cultured....

Thank Post
    Your results

You scored 56/100 for economic capital.

Your financial resources are about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 85/100 for social capital.

Your social network is wider than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 60/100 for cultural capital.

Your range of cultural interests is about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

Thank Post
    Your results

You scored 33/100 for economic capital.
    Your financial resources are lower than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 50/100 for social capital.
    Your social network is about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 50/100 for cultural capital.
    Your range of cultural interests is about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

Thank Post
    I blame not owning a house for a poor economic score!

You scored 37/100 for economic capital.
    Your financial resources are about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 60/100 for social capital.
    Your social network is about the same as the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

You scored 100/100 for cultural capital.
    Your range of cultural interests is broader than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.

Thank Post
    Not an exact science, for the "getting a job" attributes I put social connections as top, not because I think that's how it should be but because I'm slightly bitter about how it works in the real world.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Those numbers are definitely out. 50k is far too high for middle class. Teachers are professionals, and therefore middle class and they can earn from 22k up.

It isn't simply down to funds, it is a mix of factors such as job, location, background, funds, interests, etc...
    it cant be a mix of those things. you're saying a guy who works down the pit, classes himself as working class, but might like the opera, reading books, going to classical recitals....but cant afford most of that. he has the interests but not the funds. by your method of logic because he has the interest of classical music, opera and books, he could class himself as middle class, even though the funds don't allow him to indulge in those activities

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Your results

You scored 92/100 for economic capital.

Your financial resources are higher than the average person in the UK. Find out more below.
    Thats only because you live at home with your family John is it not? ;D

Thank Post
    Rydra said “If you earn less than 50k per year as a household, then you are of the working class; You actually have to pay attention to what you earn and what you spend. You work for your living and have no alternative but to work, probably till you retire at 60+.”
    I don’t like wage as an example of what class you fit in. It just doesn’t work for so many people. You can have someone on say a 20k wage but due to various reasons have a fully paid off house with zero mortgage and perhaps even some savings. Without the mortgage you have far more disposable income a month and you don’t need to watch money as closely as someone on 50k+ with a mortgage.

On the more extreme end you have those without a mortgage and who don’t drive to work but have a car. That persons living style and disposable income can be much higher than someone with 50k wage, driving and a mortgage. Surly the person on the lower wage in this case would live the higher class of living style.

What about those that take a high paid for 10 or a few years then go down to a sub 10k or sub 20k job? Are they working class or middle class? Isn’t the class system more than money as well?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, what about someone that wins the lottery? They go from counting screws in a factory to living in a mansion. They aren't upper class though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast