+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, This is really messed up isn't it..... in General; Is this ever justified? | Latentexistence...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

This is really messed up isn't it.....

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Change the references to church, god, etc and you've got a standard school expulsion letter.

3. Thanks to tech_guy from:

mattx (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Change the references to church, god, etc and you've got a standard school expulsion letter.
    Talking of expulsion - I went on a course Wednesday evening in regards to the do's and do nots when it comes to expulsion - quite an eye opener in regards to it's a lot harder these days than when I was at school !!

Thank Post
    And that would be why I don't agree with organized religion. I have no problem with peoples faith but stuff like this and Koran burning lunatics makes my blood boil.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More evidence that organised religion has lost sight of the forest for the trees.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    More evidence that organised religion has lost sight of the forest for the trees.
    Yes, indeed. You have long hair right? How would you like it if I painted you with the hippy brush?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    And that would be why I don't agree with organized religion. I have no problem with peoples faith but stuff like this and Koran burning lunatics makes my blood boil.
    I agree with you, however if the Koran burning is reference to what I think it is (an incident in a UK school a few weeks ago), then the media seriously blew that out of proportion, it wasn't a Koran that was burnt at all.

Media, religion, politics: it's all BS. Live your life the way you want to and keep your head down. It's the only way to stay sane.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I agree with you, however if the Koran burning is reference to what I think it is (an incident in a UK school a few weeks ago), then the media seriously blew that out of proportion, it wasn't a Koran that was burnt at all.

Media, religion, politics: it's all BS. Live your life the way you want to and keep your head down. It's the only way to stay sane.
    i think he meant the pastor in america who declared the "national burn a koran day" on september the 11th last year

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i think he meant the pastor in america who declared the "national burn a koran day" on september the 11th last year
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that idiot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Yep MK-2 is correct.

All religions have the same basic rules, don't commit adultery or steal or murder people, if i follow them ill hopefully be halfway there

Infact the only organized religion I respect is Buddhism, never hear a peep out of those chilled out people :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Infact the only organized religion I respect is Buddhism, never hear a peep out of those chilled out people :P
    to be honest i dont know if it could be classed as organised in the same sense as christianity, islam etc.
    buddhism is more about teachings, and you living your life how you feel is right. there isn't really a "do's and dont's" as such, no commandments and specific ways of living your life. its sort of more about making you aware of how you live your life and those of others than just saying "dont kill, its bad and god will hate you"

Thank Post
    True.

Way forward I think

Thank Post
    My personal opinion is that you don't need any kind of religion to be a good person; you just have to be a good person. If you're not, you're not. End of. Deal with the consequences. If you are, stop worrying, even if there is a higher being (which I don't personally believe there is, at least not in the religious sense of the word; who knows what else is 'out there'?) so long as you don't go around ruining other peoples lives then what harm have you done?

My favourite question to pose to the religious types is: if I can be a good human being without promise of reward or threat of punishment, but you believe that it's impossible to hold good morals without the promise of Heaven or threat of Hell, who is the better person?

Thank Post
    Dear Elders

The pagan parties are awesome.

Yrs

Unrepentant sinners

16. 4 Thanks to pete:

localzuk (21st January 2011), LosOjos (21st January 2011), MK-2 (21st January 2011), Pyroman (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,933 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Yes, indeed. You have long hair right? How would you like it if I painted you with the hippy brush?
    Well, it wouldn't mean anything. a) I am a hippy, and proud and b) I no longer have long hair.

I don't understand your comment really. There is a massive body of evidence now that exists which shows that organised religion has issues. Catholicism with its paedophiles, dislike of women in religion, anti-homosexuality, anti-contraceptives. Islam with its inherent dislike of any other religions, leading to extremism, and the belief by a good number of Muslims that non-Muslims are sub-human. Orthodox Judaism leading to the extreme problems in Israel. The list could go on for pages.

The entire point of religion is to guide people to lead good, moral, lives in an effort (in most such religions) to get to 'heaven' or similar. How does focussing on specific lines of a book (in this case) to threaten a person with expulsion and public humiliation? Where's the forgiveness? The loving one's neighbour?

As I said, lost sight of the forest for the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    My personal opinion is that you don't need any kind of religion to be a good person; you just have to be a good person.
    My view exactly. I'm a good person. I lead a moral life, care for others, am not greedy and go out of my way to treat people with respect and care (unless they specifically don't deserve respect). Religion has no value to me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast