+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Loads of iTunes charges x £25 in General; ...

Thank Post

Loads of iTunes charges x £25

Seems someone has been using my bank card against an iTunes account as my bank called me to say that there were multiple transactions against iTunes and each one was a payment of £25!

I went into the bank and they have held the transactions but they say I have to contact apple first to try and get the payments reversed! Despite the fact that I have had no e-mail receipts from iTunes for these payments, removed my details from my iTunes account (in case my account was hacked, which presumably it was not as I could still log in and all my details were unchanged), the bank still insist I contact iTunes. I've cancelled my cards but the most annoying thing about the whole process is this:

Trying to find contact info for iTunes! Does anyone know of such a phone number where I can actually SPEAK to someone instead of having a fully automated system that refers me back to their website?!?!?!
    Last edited by plexer; 20th January 2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Language

Thank Post
    Hi,

This happened to me but with a company called nordic gaming. Of course, nobody to get in touch with!

The bank re-imbursed me when I claimed a fraudulent transaction, they chased the payment processor for IP whereabouts etc... and proof of a sales certificate. My advice is get the bank to do that donkey work - you will find it hard to find anyone that'll help.

Thank Post
    have you tried the old # key pressing at option stages to see if it forces you through to a live person?

There are a couple of things on the net that point to it working with the US contact numbers ..

Thank Post
    How To

Secure your account information

Maintaining a secure password is the key to protecting your iTunes Store account. If you are suddenly unable to sign in to your iTunes Store account, or if you've received email invoices for transactions you did not place, please follow the steps below.

1.Regain control of your account using iForgot. The iForgot system allows you to reset your account password and restore access to your account. If you share an account password between iTunes and your email accounts, make sure that you also change the password for your email account immediately. Your iTunes Store password should be distinct from any other account password you have.
    2.Report unauthorized charges. Contact your financial institution or credit card company to report any unauthorized charges placed without your knowledge.
    3.Contact iTunes Store Customer Support. If you're unable to regain access to your account, or if there were unauthorized charges placed using your iTunes Store credit, please contact iTunes Store Support immediately.
    source Apple - Support - iTunes

Apple - Support - iTunes Store - Contact Us

5. Thanks to andydis from:

Rawns (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to note is the bank is responsible for fraud on your account, its their job to keep your money safe and its up to them to recover it.

7. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Rawns (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I remember seeing this BBC News - Thousands of stolen iTunes accounts for sale in China I know it's no help now but just for others information.

Thank Post
    Big black market for these, amazon, asus and any other online voucher/game time...
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 20th January 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    If you recieved no email to the affect, then someone has registered an itunes account against your credit card number, or they are going into stores and buying the gift cards with your stolen card.

Still the banks job to do this not yours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the reasons I'd recommend people get a card like an Escape or Tuxedo card, as it only lets the user spend the amount on the card, and also allows the owner to lock the card via text within a few seconds. ie. you text '(Un)Lock XXXX' to them and they'll lock or unlock it for you, meaning that you can have it nicked and it'd be useless.

12. Thanks to localzuk from:

tech_guy (7th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Andydis! Had a response within 24 hours from Apple confirming my account had been compromised and they have stopped the transactions!

I'd give rep but aparently, I've Rep'ed you before.

Thanks again for the help guys. Now to ease my paranoia and format my PC...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would contact the Bank again and make them do it. Its there job not yours. Someone has committed fraud against your account and it is not your fault.

What bank is it by the way?

I had this happen and someone took £900 from my account. The Natwest noticed it before me and they sorted everything out, i got the money back within a week.

Thank Post
    The banbks response wil depend on whether you use a credit card (their money) or a debit card (your money).

If it's a credit card you've got much more leverage to get them to do stuff.

I went to a BCS Information security day recently where one of the key speakers was advocating allways using a CC for exactly this reason.

Good luck

Thank Post
    It's HSBC and the bank say that the transactions have gone past the stage of being cancelled and that they effectively can do nothing until the money has left my account. They say the transactions have been sitting with a status of "Authorised" for 3 days now which means the money can leave my account at any time now, but I might be lucky and they will all be cancelled. HSBC seem to think that iTunes have the power to cancel the transactions but in their response, they can't without authorisation from the bank. Ping pong methinks.

I linked my debit card to iTunes and if this money comes out, it will be into the overdraft!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need to be a bit more forceful with the bank. And get it done before the weekend! Charging you because fraud has removed money and sent you negative is a joke.

I had my E-Mail signed up to iTunes before, ended up going straight in and taking over and disabling the account before they could buy anything. Contacted Apple support by E-Mail and told them to delete the account, stop contacting me and remove all details including the address from their site. Still getting newsletters off of them...

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread