+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Best comments you've heard in the Tech Office...? in General; Teacher: My whiteboard isn't working with my laptop Me: OK, let me have a look. You realise it isn't plugged ...

Thank Post
    Teacher: My whiteboard isn't working with my laptop
    Me: OK, let me have a look. You realise it isn't plugged in?
    Teacher: Yeh, but I thought these laptops were wireless...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    ARGH!

one of my pet hates is people who don't understand tech trying to talk tech..

I work in a software development firm - so we get a lot of it.

people coming into my office saying "is there a problem with the network?"

me:"...not that I'm aware of?"
    them: "well my computer won't turn on so I thought you'd changed something"

*facepalm*
    I have come across this a few times in relation to USB and they try to sound clever or just don't know what it stands for and hence muddle up the letters, had them telling me

"There is something wrong with the B.... U....S"

Instead of saying that there is something wrong with the USB or USB ports or my memory stick is not detected, basically something easier.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I have come across this a few times in relation to USB and they try to sound clever or just don't know what it stands for and hence muddle up the letters, had them telling me

"There is something wrong with the B.... U....S"

Instead of saying that there is something wrong with the USB or USB ports or my memory stick is not detected, basically something easier.
    we had a guy come in once, saying he needed a cable for his laptop to smartboard, said "oh yeah i need one of the VAG converters"

tongue biting ensued!!

4. Thanks to MK-2 from:

mac_shinobi (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I've got an interesting problem going on here for the last ~6 months, that has mostly gone away now, but crops up every now and then.

All our new laptops (running Win 7) have a minor issue of when you plugin a VGA cable BEFORE you turn on the laptop, they would output to that and NOT the laptop's screen.
    So teachers were coming in, connecting everything up, turn on the laptop and go about other things.... But not the projector. Cue them a couple minutes later coming back, and pressing power buttons and other buttons and all sorts because the screen is black, causing the laptop to be forceably restarted, go into repair mode, and the laptop become unuseable for 30 minutes.

I had this happen every morning for nearly 6 weeks, and of course every time it happened half an hour or more before i got in.
    When I asked them not to power up in the morning and wait till I got in, it of course worked perfectly because they had in fact already used the laptop, turned on the projector or a dozen other reasons.

There's also the regular, every half term/ or new term or the occassional monday morning, someone would come in "My internet/wireless isn't working." And it's either turn the wireless on, or switch the proxy on.

I'd understand the new teacher, but when it's the guy who has been here for 10+ years.....

Thank Post
    I had a good one yesterday. A member of staff came into our office with a purchased DVD film and 10 blank DVDs and asked us could we make 10 copies of the film, so that all the students in her class could have a copy to watch at home.

Needless to say, she was politely told where to go.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitch View Post
    I had a good one yesterday. A member of staff came into our office with a purchased DVD film and 10 blank DVDs and asked us could we make 10 copies of the film, so that all the students in her class could have a copy to watch at home.

Needless to say, she was politely told where to go.
    i assume you told her to go to the staffroom, have a nice cup of tea and they will be ready in an hour.....IT IS YOUR JOB AFTER ALL!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i assume you told her to go to the staffroom, have a nice cup of tea and they will be ready in an hour.....IT IS YOUR JOB AFTER ALL!!!!!!!

I'd point out blank discs are available from the office by request, and that every laptop made in the last 4 odd years has come with a DVD-RW drive, while pointing out due to copyright you are unable to assist them in anyway. Then pop down to the SMT office to have a note added to briefing about copyright infringement....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post

Nope, cup of tea and staffroom were not in the sentence.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I'd point out blank discs are available from the office by request, and that every laptop made in the last 4 odd years has come with a DVD-RW drive, while pointing out due to copyright you are unable to assist them in anyway. Then pop down to the SMT office to have a note added to briefing about copyright infringement....
    They all get told that we are unable to do this as it is copyright infringement and that it is breaking the law and that if they have a problem with it, to go and see the head which puts an end to the conversation.

Thank Post
    not computer related but i was standing in the kitchen the last week when my sister was cooking her and her friend macaroni cheese (from scratch!) and her friend asked "If we dont put any cheese in will it still taste cheesy?" After i had picked myself up off the floor and dried my eyes from cryin with laughter she suddenly clicked what she had said and went bright red! If anyones curious, yes she is blonde

Thank Post
    Can an admin or moderator change the topic title to "Best comments you've heard in the Tech Office!!" .... looks like this thread is taking off and would be a better fitting title :-)

Tks!!

Thank Post
    Just had a request for "iced water" I think they wanted the science technicians room.

Thank Post
    Been having intermittent internet issues this week. A member of staff genuinely said "oh I had a problem at home last week, I had to get a new dangle have you tried that?"

I'm guessing she meant a USB dongle for her wireless/3G connection. At least she was trying to be helpful I suppose.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Can an admin or moderator change the topic title to "Best comments you've heard in the Tech Office!!" .... looks like this thread is taking off and would be a better fitting title :-)

Tks!!

Done

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    New one overheard the other day - a member of staff couldn't send emails from her home address to her work address (talktalk filtered by LA), and her diagnosis?

"My phone line must be broken, I sent the email but it hasn't made it here, I must have a broken phone line"

I can just see it now, that lovely typed email leaking out of her telephone line on to the carpet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast