+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Loyalty in football in General; There is none, or very little at the least. Apparently after the Sunderland and Newcastle match, Darren Bent has handed ...
    Thank Post

Loyalty in football

There is none, or very little at the least. Apparently after the Sunderland and Newcastle match, Darren Bent has handed in a transfer request. I'm absolutely disgusted. It seems that players have no loyalty to teams anymore.

Wouldn't be surprised if Henderson jumps ship too. I could maybe understand it if Bent wasn't in the starting lineup or getting games but he is! Maybe he feels he's not good enough to stay, seeing as he's not been banging the goals in as often as he has been?

Sky Sports | Sunderland News | Football | Premier League | Bent asks to quit Black Cats

If he wants to go, I'd say cash in and get another Asamoah Gyan. He's a right character and he occasionally pops up to save the day byt scoring at crucial moments.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bent is no way worth that price tag. Wasn't he shipped to spurs for about the same price at the same time Henry left Arsenal for less?

This is where the "homegrown" rule will fall down I think. You know a club needs an English player to complete its quota, so whack up your prices for Joe Average by 5 million as there is nobody else left to sign

Thank Post
    I can understand why he left Sunderland tbh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Football is a business, first and foremost. Footballers are employees, and as with most employees will be looking for better jobs, where they get more income or benefits.

The idea that a player would be loyal to a football team is a bit bizarre in this hyper-capitalist society now...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Football is a business, first and foremost. Footballers are employees, and as with most employees will be looking for better jobs, where they get more income or benefits.

The idea that a player would be loyal to a football team is a bit bizarre in this hyper-capitalist society now...
    Sad to say but totally agree, remember the start of the Wayne Rooney SAGA. He apparently gave commitment to Everton till United put the offer on the table. He then showed United the same Loyalty when he wanted out, he didnt stay for loyalty he stayed for the money....
    They are footballers, they earn a lot, cheered by millions when they do well, they have to be physically fit and they go out with Wags. Why should they care about being loyal?.......

Thank Post

It's not bizzare when you consider that they are paid huge signing on fees and sign a (now) worthless piece of paper called a contract.

I hope Liverpool sign him. He's a proven goal scorer in average teams. (That's not a dig at the mighty reds, but a sad truth about their current state)

Thank Post
    Luis Suarez is on his way to liverpool along with stewart downing.. aparently, ive never rated bent, imho hes no better than big Dave (ngog)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Luis Suarez is on his way to liverpool along with stewart downing.. aparently, ive never rated bent, imho hes no better than big Dave (ngog)
    His goal scoring record suggests otherwise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    It's not bizzare when you consider that they are paid huge signing on fees and sign a (now) worthless piece of paper called a contract.
    Contracts can't really tie you to a job, as you can always have get out clauses. Just like any employment contract - a 2 year fixed term contract doesn't mean you're stuck there for 2 years...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I can understand why he left Sunderland tbh.
    He hasn't left yet

Thank Post
    Contracts can't really tie you to a job, as you can always have get out clauses. Just like any employment contract - a 2 year fixed term contract doesn't mean you're stuck there for 2 years...
    I agree, but Football is (should be) different. Did your current employer pay a transfer fee to your previous employer?

Thank Post
    Did your current employer pay a transfer fee to your previous employer?
    Darren is in a fixed term contract. The transfer fee is compensation to the club for him prematurely ending his contract. My contract, on the other hand is permanent, but it mentions nothing of me having to stay here for a fixed term.

The Army on the other hand do have fixed term contracts, and also seek compensation should you wish to leave early. This is normally paid by the person in question, but I'm sure if an employer was desperate enough they would pay the amount.

Thank Post
    I just feel a fair bit aggrieved at the whole business. I think the fact that football has become more about money over the last 20 years means that the number of genuinely passionate players is dwindling. I'm a mackem but you only have to look at players like Shearer to realise that money isn't the be all and end all.

Joe Average!! 36 goals was it in 60+ games is not average. Average is John Carew, Gabby Agbonlahor etc.. Incidentally, where is Bent gonna go? That's right, Villa!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Darren is in a fixed term contract. The transfer fee is compensation to the club for him prematurely ending his contract. My contract, on the other hand is permanent, but it mentions nothing of me having to stay here for a fixed term.

The Army on the other hand do have fixed term contracts, and also seek compensation should you wish to leave early. This is normally paid by the person in question, but I'm sure if an employer was desperate enough they would pay the amount.
    I did not know that about the Army.

I suppose you see things differently when you're a passionate fan of a team. The premiership will eat itself though.
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 17th January 2011 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    The premiership will eat itself though.
    That's one thing we can agree on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast