+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, eeeek whats that smell in General; no network connection phone rings - same complaint walk into server room *sniff* "thats smoke i smell ahhh crap" that ...
    Thank Post

eeeek whats that smell

no network connection
    phone rings - same complaint
    walk into server room *sniff*

"thats smoke i smell ahhh crap"

that was a fun morning i tell thee

Thank Post
    Youch .. sounds like it's been a "fun" morning ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had a close shave like that last year. The neon status light in the main power distribution strip for the servers had fried. The strip was labelled as rated for 16A, but it turns out the neon was only rated for 13A (internally).

We were alerted to it via Monit - a small UPS that couldn't tolerate the instability of the power had shut down a couple of non-critical servers, so we went to investigate. Found the source of the problem, cut off all power and ensured our main ones shut down gracefully.

Picture: http://twitpic.com/xwtnn

Hope things are OK!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    students breaking in for a sly puff?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had a new phone System combust On installation plugged it in and the blue smoke of fail emerged from the back. Their tech was not impressed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    We had a new phone System combust On installation plugged it in and the blue smoke of fail emerged from the back. Their tech was not impressed
    Obviously, their little timer to make it fail upon them leaving the site hadn't been set right! lol ..

7. Thanks to soveryapt from:

BenABF (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Obviously, their little timer to make it fail upon them leaving the site hadn't been set right! lol ..
    Thought that was set to a month after the warranty/support agreement had expired...

Thank Post
    so glad its 'pub friday'

10. Thanks to gibbo_ap from:

DrCheese (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Thought that was set to a month after the warranty/support agreement had expired...
    It varies, some like to set it for leaving site (you'll find photocopiers have this function) so that you have to keep calling them out .. other more "non mission critical" devices tend to be after warranty .. lol ..

Actually, interesting (well ok, in a geeky way, I found this interesting) fact .. Grundfos, renound for their pumps .. I have a bore hole on my property for water and this is why I know this fact .. but back to the point .. they have recently released a new domestic pump range starting with SQ and SQE .. the difference being the "SQE" range you can plug in a terminal to diagnose pump issues, useful when you consider the pumps can be a good 25m + underground ..

Anyway, at a product release day by Grundfos, apparently, the guy was telling the install engineers there how they had included a new part on their SQE range which meant that they could make "a nice little earner" by telling the pump to turn off after a set time period, this meant they would get a call out fee as the pump would of stopped working, and they could turn up, "fix the pump" and reset the time period so that it powers down again ..

And manufacturers say they don't promote this kind of activity, well, I now know of one that does! lol ..

Anywho .. that's my "interesting" fact for the day .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    so glad its 'pub friday'
    This. Even tho we had some beers after BETT yesterday, Still looking forward to some tonight!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    It varies, some like to set it for leaving site (you'll find photocopiers have this function) so that you have to keep calling them out .. other more "non mission critical" devices tend to be after warranty .. lol ..

Actually, interesting (well ok, in a geeky way, I found this interesting) fact .. Grundfos, renound for their pumps .. I have a bore hole on my property for water and this is why I know this fact .. but back to the point .. they have recently released a new domestic pump range starting with SQ and SQE .. the difference being the "SQE" range you can plug in a terminal to diagnose pump issues, useful when you consider the pumps can be a good 25m + underground ..

Anyway, at a product release day by Grundfos, apparently, the guy was telling the install engineers there how they had included a new part on their SQE range which meant that they could make "a nice little earner" by telling the pump to turn off after a set time period, this meant they would get a call out fee as the pump would of stopped working, and they could turn up, "fix the pump" and reset the time period so that it powers down again ..

And manufacturers say they don't promote this kind of activity, well, I now know of one that does! lol ..

Anywho .. that's my "interesting" fact for the day .. lol ..
    there was a tv manufacturer that got raked over the coald for doing that they set ther screen to self destruct after x hours on time enough that in most cases would be out of waranty and non repairable

Thank Post
    all ICT kit here fine but there is a definite eeeek whats that smell as we walk down the stairs, past the out of order ladies toilet and into reception...... Nasty Niff Day today.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread