+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Buy Your Own Computer in General; Originally Posted by penfold In short no. If I need a computer to do my job I expect it to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    In short no. If I need a computer to do my job I expect it to be provided by my work. I take this stance on anything.
    But one could argue that you NEED clothes to do your job - you can't do it naked. Should work pay for these also?

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here so don't read into my comments too much - just trying to get a decent discussion about this going.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there are certain legal issues surrounding a lack of clothes at work, though it is a policy that once made for some terrible reality TV.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    But one could argue that you NEED clothes to do your job - you can't do it naked. Should work pay for these also?

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here so don't read into my comments too much - just trying to get a decent discussion about this going.
    Isn't that why work provides a uniform to those that need it? And you dont NEED clothes to do your job, sometimes it even helps as it means no more getting a tie stuck in a printer

And dont worry, I did ask people to pick holes in my argument as I dont really understand why employees should pay a cost to do their job. I understand why it is good to allow users to use their own technology, for example I use the wireless here on my phone, but I dont expect work to buy me a new phone as I dont need this to do my job.
    Last edited by penfold; 14th January 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes but you need clothes to get to work, unless you work from home so the clothes are an incidental expense.

I think the difference here is if you require your employees to use a computer to do their Job it would not be acceptable to say you have to buy your own or be fired.

Thank Post
    But the employers are supplying the user with a computer in that they are giving the money they would spend and saying if you want anything above and beyond that, you make it up. Don't forget these will be in companies that mobile working is the norm, that a majority are probably out of the office or working from home and probably only use the computer to email, make & carry out presentations and write up a few documents. The company has probably decided that users will use the computers for home use anyway, probably more than for work, so why not spin it round and make them responsible. I bet this helps with the laptops being looked after or being left lying around.

Add to that the remote working will be secure so as someone said, no USB or email leakage for important data, no worries if the laptop is lost and I imagine viruses have a greater problem getting into a remote session so home working is less of a viral threat (I may be wrong on that though).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    But the employers are supplying the user with a computer in that they are giving the money they would spend and saying if you want anything above and beyond that, you make it up. Don't forget these will be in companies that mobile working is the norm, that a majority are probably out of the office or working from home and probably only use the computer to email, make & carry out presentations and write up a few documents. The company has probably decided that users will use the computers for home use anyway, probably more than for work, so why not spin it round and make them responsible. I bet this helps with the laptops being looked after or being left lying around.

Add to that the remote working will be secure so as someone said, no USB or email leakage for important data, no worries if the laptop is lost and I imagine viruses have a greater problem getting into a remote session so home working is less of a viral threat (I may be wrong on that though).
    So if they are getting a set budget to put towards their computer (say £300) it would be easier from a management point of view to go out and buy 30 x £300 laptops. If the two options are a) give £300 for someone to buy a computer or b) spend the £300 on a computer for them then I'd pick B all day, every day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post

In that case it makes sense. Effectively you are forcing the user to look after the equipment by getting them to pay towards their own laptop. Chainging the way users think from "it's ok it's work's laptop, I dont care it is broken/lost/stolen I can get a new one" to "I paid for some of this it's my money wasted if I dont look after it". In which case it makes perfect sense.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    sometimes it even helps as it means no more getting a tie stuck in a printer
    Trust me, it's better getting your tie stuck in the printer than the possibilities when you're nude!

One point nobody seems to have brought up yet: what happens when the employee leaves the business? Currently, the employer owns the equipment, so they can take it back to re-use/recycle/sell, but if employee's are putting their own money in to buying the hardware, then they must also take part ownership of the prouct. Do you sell it and split the profit, or let them keep it and write off the £300 you gave them toward it? It could get very expensive for employers, more so than repairs potentially...

9. Thanks to LosOjos from:

penfold (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Trust me, it's better getting your tie stuck in the printer than the possibilities when you're nude!
    Lol, ouch!!!

And an interesting point you made regarding cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It could get very expensive for employers
    £300 per hire should, hopefully, be considered a modest amount by most organisations, certainly for employees like teachers who you'd think should be around for at least a year.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    When someone joins a new company they will still have the old computer, do they get a subsidy as well from the new company?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    So if they are getting a set budget to put towards their computer (say £300) it would be easier from a management point of view to go out and buy 30 x £300 laptops. If the two options are a) give £300 for someone to buy a computer or b) spend the £300 on a computer for them then I'd pick B all day, every day.
    But what needs managing if they are remoting in? The systems I have seen are minimal setup or auto config from the installer. Anything that needs configuring is on your servers back at the ranch. I guess they set a minimum spec and/or show some example machines that the staff could get. Just think, that arty farty teacher is desperate for a Mac, that is fine, they pay the mac premium and you don't care as long as it is compatible with the remoting software. They also have to sort out the gap in their knowledge. All those printers and horrible bits of software people want to try or have available to them that demand admin rights or a specific install path, fine, they sort it out as they are the admin. The tech people don't have to care what the setup is, they just have to keep their little walled garden happy and running and the staff come in carry out their task and leave. Sounds perfect to me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    £300 per hire should, hopefully, be considered a modest amount by most organisations, certainly for employees like teachers who you'd think should be around for at least a year.

--
    David Hicks
    True, but there is still quite a large turn around in schools, if you have 5 new teachers every year, that's £1,500 a year that's being given away. Not an enormous sum of money, but it's not pitence either. If the school owned the laptops/computers, then new staff could be given the old staff's machines...

Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    When someone joins a new company they will still have the old computer, do they get a subsidy as well from the new company?
    Another good point, it wouldn't be fair to give some staff a £300 hand out to buy a computer but then tell others they're not getting anything because they already have a machine, would it?

I think there are a lot of questions and complexities in the detail of how you would get this kind of system going.

My own opinion is that private companies in particular are ridiculous to have so many offices all over the place. Think of the money some of these places could save if they closed down all but their head office and hosted TS for their employee's to work from home! The only time they'd be needed in the office would be for meetings. The cost of paying for employee's broadband and telephone charges (for work related calls) would be a fraction of the cost of renting office space, paying the business rates, energy bills, liability insurance etc. etc.

Thank Post
    Could be a laugh. A fair few teachers here think school should provide them a PC at school AND buy them one for home as "they only use it for school work".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Could be a laugh. A fair few teachers here think school should provide them a PC at school AND buy them one for home as "they only use it for school work".
    I suppose I should look at the bright side. If school want to give me £300 for a machine so I can play football manager all day then I shouldn't really complain should I?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast