+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple: Love it or hate it. in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I must have been really bored, because here's one I did earlier. As you can see, when you do a proper like-for-like comparison there isn't much between the latest Mac Pro and a HP Z600 Workstation (just £196.52!). Click image to make it bigger.

It's surprising what you can make people believe when you do biased comparisons.
    The firepro card you have added is pushing £300 where as the HD5770 is £80 so thats £200 ontop of the £200 you already know; £400, its starting to add up. It is "surprising what you can make people believe when you do biased comparisons."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    The firepro card you have added is pushing £300 where as the HD5770 is £80 so thats £200 ontop of the £200 you already know; £400, its starting to add up. It is "surprising what you can make people believe when you do biased comparisons."
    Did you read the comment? That they both use the same processor? You make do with what manufacturers provide as choices, so it isn't a biased comparison.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

Arthur (19th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Did you read the comment? That they both use the same processor? You make do with what manufacturers provide as choices, so it isn't a biased comparison.
    Yes I read the comment thanks. They arnt the same card though are they? Why exactly do you think one is £80 and the other is £300? So ofcourse its a biased comparison

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You make do with what manufacturers provide as choices, so it isn't a biased comparison.
    One point to note with that is you can easily get the manufacturer to change the card over the phone generally, the website has more limited choices but I am not sure if the same can be done with apple.

Thank Post
    One of the things i've set store in with all computers that i've built, and i look for in computers that i buy for school, is value for money; Can I do what is needed/wanted, for less somewhere else.
    The 2nd thing I look for, which has to go hand in hand with the first, is how long will this product last me doing what I want it to do?
    If the kit i've got will be obscelete within 2 years in not supporting something which is already on the horizon, then it will not be good value for money.

The 2 big things in home media right now is Blue rays, and 3D Movies/Games. Neither of which do Apple support, though they are rarely "Pioneers" in this front of technology, so wouldn't expect to see Blue ray support for another year or so, and 3D support for 3-5 years.
    Personally I hope 3D flops, as I hate the idea of wearing stupid glasses in my own living room. I still have 20/20 vision, I'd like to keep it that way. But BlueRay is undeniably replacing DVD's just as DVD's did to VHS. The reluctance I think stems from the worry that internet enabled TV's and downloadable movie's will take their place before they get a chance to take hold fully.
    The real crunch point will be when big software/game producers release a big named title for the PC on Blue Ray, or when a movie title only releases in BlueRay.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple has no plans for BluRay support - as they believe optical media has had its day, and internet streamed media is the future (ie. AppleTV, AppStore etc...).

Game makers are also moving to online downloads too, both on PCs and on consoles.

Thank Post
    Hmm I would personally say Blu Ray is the future similar to DVDs. They took a while to take off like 3D movies, now look, movies are going more and more 3D and BluRay is becoming more popular. Downloads is the way forward but BlueRays are high quality and people will still purchase them.

You never really know though, with bigger TVs coming the norm, people will want higher quality. Films like Avatar are proving that 3D + high quality really does work well. I think its a bad move on Apples part but then no one buys a MAC to watch films. With BlueRay readers so cheap now it does not matter (Plus all in 1 TVs).

Thank Post
    Unless internet providers stop restricting bandwidth, stop putting download limits, and start providing reliable connections, these things will not take off.

Very few providers yet supply a connection that can reliably stream HD/3D video consistently for hours at a time. They either hit a bandwidth cap and become unwatchable, hit a download cap and cost too much, or just don't have the STABLE speed in the first place to play them.

I haven't looked in a while, but i seem to recall HD video streams at 8000kb/s on average? So you would need a 40+MB connection to stream a full blue ray movie, and most blue rays are up to 25gb in size, well beyond the limits of most home broadband at the current time.

Plus i wont pay £5 every time i want to watch a movie. I like having a big bookcase full of my movie collection, I'm quite proud of it, especially my complete James Bond Movie set in a special metallic silver briefcase!

I must have watched A Team at least a dozen times already, and the Harry Potter/ LOTR movies a dozen times or more each (The early HP's probably 20-30 times!)

10. Thanks to Rydra from:

sted (19th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple, who were one of the key promoters of blue-ray over hd-dvd stating how ace it was, have decided to not even provide basic access to blue-ray drives to push their own wares. I do not believe the crappy apple video store is up to the standard especially with the awful drm. If anything apples solution is worse as you have a platform locking where as blue-ray works with all.... (including lending to mates)
    The only reason apple were shouting about blue-ray was to naysay MS I suspect who were hd-dvd, once the war was over suddenly its redundant tech when they are peddling their own store... the more you buy from apple the more locked in you are which is what they want. If you could buy blue-ray and use it on mac then thats the best solution as you can then play said movie on your tv without having to buy ANOTHER apple product.
    Like Rydra says downloads will not be equal in quality etc until we all have massive connections with unlimited bandwidth and thats a simple fact. Game downloads are different as its the same game as on the disc not like online downloads....
    Blue-ray films are about 12gb of data including the proper sountrack and in 3d that near enough doubles which is out of reach of so many currently it is silly to think apple is doing this for our good.
    Apple are evil when it comes to blue-ray as its simply self serving which is apple primary motive for anything always, I would be very surprised to actually believe apple did something for the user that didnt line their pockets directly.
    The nice thing is use bootcamp with windows and stick a drive in and boom blue-ray..... all apple needs to add is the base support for blue-ray and then tell manufactures to fit their driver (like their usual attitude to all things, do it our way or be quiet) and then your done.
    Its also laughable apple try to say that they are for pro video producers when they cant even burn a blue-ray film.... FAIL.... for that they have to go to windows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    I want a P5, from when Rovers were motor cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I've seen a Rover 2600 SD1, in beautiful condition....I'd have one of those!

It's a "D" plate...and my garage reckon that the owner would practically give it away!

Just gotta persuade the missus that I need such a beautiful car!!
    I had the 3.5 V8 version of the SD1 ... a beautifull car. Also had a few P6s as well. That was when Rover made proper cars.

Thank Post
    Blu-ray is just a storage medium and i'm sure they will suffer the same kind of disc rot that CDs and DVDs suffer from. I know a 8Gb 1080p .mkv file can be downloaded in about 20 minutes. Maybe Mr. Jobs has a point ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    Blu-ray is just a storage medium and i'm sure they will suffer the same kind of disc rot that CDs and DVDs suffer from. I know a 8Gb 1080p .mkv file can be downloaded in about 20 minutes. Maybe Mr. Jobs has a point ?
    For the vast majority of uk no it cant and wont be for a while. They are only thinking of setting the min connection speed of 2mb and its going to cost several billion and thats due in 2015?
    To say there is no need currently is silly in the extreme let alone the fact you cant really download 1080p 7.1 vids legally currently anyway. That mkv probably had a reduced and recompressed soundtrack btw too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    And considering a lot of broadband providers have a 2gb limit, that's useless to them.

The internet infrastructure in this country needs upgrading (which hopefully will be given a boost by BT starting to roll out the fibre optics now) and the ISP's need to get with the times and stop being so restrictive with their services before streaming technology is a viable option.

In the meantime, BluRay is the best we have, and even once things have vastly improved in terms of this country's internet services, it still won't take away from the fact that a lot of people (myself included) still like to own a physical object when they have paid their hard earned wages for something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    For the vast majority of uk no it cant and wont be for a while. They are only thinking of setting the min connection speed of 2mb and its going to cost several billion and thats due in 2015?
    To say there is no need currently is silly in the extreme let alone the fact you cant really download 1080p 7.1 vids legally currently anyway. That mkv probably had a reduced and recompressed soundtrack btw too.
    The UK isn't Apple's main market - the US is, and further to that, large cities in the US.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The UK isn't Apple's main market - the US is, and further to that, large cities in the US.
    The US is not much better tbh then UK in a lot of ways. Even then its a weak argument to say we wont plug a driver into the system for external drives because you will never use it currently as you have our amazing poor quality drm video download solution. Am I the only one here who doesnt see the fact apple dont want you buying blu-ray over their locked in store?
    Even if they dont want to stick the drive in, no support in osx come on no one can honestly say thats in OUR interests and that there is a lack of demand.
    I have blu-ray and a mac, demand + 1 for me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast