+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple: Love it or hate it. in General; OMG Who started this flamewar of a thread? I'm tempted to neg rep all of you but instead read this ...
    Thank Post
    OMG Who started this flamewar of a thread? I'm tempted to neg rep all of you but instead read this and substitute 'mac' for iphone and 'pc' for android.

The Daily Mash - iPhone v Android debate 'not important'

There had been increasingly heated argument about whether the gadget made by one company was superior to geegaws made by the other companies that did similar things in a slightly different way. Tech blogger, Stpehen Malley, said: "I had always been a rabid advocate of one of the companies because their doo-da was open source and delivered full multitasking. The issues arising from this seemed interesting and important to me. But last Tuesday I was posting simultaneously on several online forums to that effect when, overcome with annoyance by the mere thought of technological imperfection, I turned momentarily away from my monitor to stare out of the window. The sun was setting over the distant hills, and the late evening sky was a peaceful yet dramatic canvas of crimson and azure. The sudden sense of the enigmatic perfection of the universe was such that my soul seemed to leave my body via the top of my head and I imagined myself floating aloft, as much a part of nature as the birds and the trees. When it ended I found I was no longer concerned.
    Last edited by somabc; 17th January 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't love or hate Macs. I use Windows at home and support a Windows network at work (with a few Macs). I would definitely consider a Macbook as my next laptop as they have good build quality, compact size, good specs and OS X which I'd like to learn how to use better. They're also reasonably priced and have good educational discounts and hold their value very well.

One thing I hate is people who compare a base spec cheap plasticy 15" laptop to 13.3" Macbook Pro. Miniaturisation costs money. When you start trying to find a 13.3" laptop with the same specs as a Macbook you'll realise that they're not so much of a rip off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to say that yes ... some of the new android phones which are coming out now *are* better than the iPhone with many, many features ... just as they are better than other phones that came out last week/month/year/century! I bet that the Dell Inspiron 560 is better than the Sony Vaio PCV-RXA842! Tech improves week by week ... we all know this so why do we all insist on gloating when new kit arrives and we it is *so* better than less new kit?

There are lots of folk out there that prefer one OS over another because the way it works suits them better. Different people prefer different UIs and before I get people going on and on and on about how you can make pretty much any OS look like any other OS if you know how to tweak this, and code that ... remember that most people who get any technology want to get it out of the box and just press a button and let it go. We get it with cookers, with TVs, with games consoles ... so why not just expect it with computers too? Boot up the machine, it asks for some basic details, it then suggests you either connect your old machine or the backup device from your old machine and it does the rest for you.

I keep saying to the Open Source lot ... make it easy for people, make it reliable and you have a better chance. Ubuntu is nice ... but still needs some work. Windows has most stuff going ok, but *for me* OSX nails it.

Will folk ever accept personal opinion based on real experiences of using multiple systems? In here, I doubt it ...

I am not saying that everyone should move to Macs of any flavour. There are lots out there that will find other OSes better for them, making them more productive, etc.

As for the iLife argument ... I am so there with you on that. However (and you knew that was coming), I would say that iLife is not a pro solution, but it is a darned good one for the amateur / prosumer. then again ... there is a reason why I run Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio, yet use Garageband for quick podcast editing as I find it slightly quicker and slicker than in Audacity.

4. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

mac_shinobi (18th January 2011), nephilim (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to say that is a well answered post Tony.

I personally like the Mac OS, its cleaner, smoother and more user friendly than Windows.
    Windows however runs everything I need and I don't want to have to faff about putting a second OS on just to run what I need because it is not supported for Mac.

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

GrumbleDook (17th January 2011)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In September I'll be buying a 27" iMac, or whatever the latest offering from Mr. Jobs is, for home use as I can't be ar$ed with Windows anymore. I spend too much time faffing around with the spawn of the devil from Redmond at work and I want to be able to go home and just use something that works. My iPad has been a revelation and I don't bother with my laptops at home anymore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the iPad I have been using from work ... it has been interesting to do a variety of things with it and I do find it better than the other devices I have used so far running windows or android ... though I am waiting for better features such as cameras, microsUSB, etc ... but since I have a MBP at home and an iPhone4 ... I cannot justify one. It would be a gimmick and is not a killer device for me yet. It has legs, but is not running fast enough or far enough. Then again I was advised to wait until iPhone 3G came out and I was glad I did, I was advised to wait until iPhone4 was out ... and I am glad I did. I have been advised to wait on the iPad, but unless I see something special from the next version of from other tablet / slate devices ... I'll hang off getting one for some time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    There are lots of folk out there that prefer one OS over another because the way it works suits them better. Different people prefer different UIs and before I get people going on and on and on about how you can make pretty much any OS look like any other OS if you know how to tweak this, and code that ... remember that most people who get any technology want to get it out of the box and just press a button and let it go. We get it with cookers, with TVs, with games consoles ... so why not just expect it with computers too? Boot up the machine, it asks for some basic details, it then suggests you either connect your old machine or the backup device from your old machine and it does the rest for you.
    actually it took me almost as long to get my new ps3 into gt5 as it takes me to get a pc setup. What with os updates, game updates/installing the game it took over 1 hour and probably over 2 to get a game loaded on a console

most people can just unbox a pc fill in the blanks and have a working system its only the likes of us that want it "just so" with no time limited/poor software preinstalled its really much of an issue for

Thank Post
    Sshhhhh Dont say that, we could end up having a dishwasher that needs updating!!!

Want to use your kettel? please update the firmware!!!!....

Thank Post
    For me, the advantage of iLife was integration with all the software. It worked like Adobe in that respect, but with less features/easier to use.

For the level of home movie/audio work, iLife fits in perfectly. You can edit the video you recorded with your home camcorder/phone, mix in you and your mates playing drums/guitar with sick bass line, then upload it to your iphone and facebook at the same time, while downloading the latest #1 album that your mate recommended was the sickest evah!

Above that, with the exception of Final Cut Pro, I found that i could do everything, and in most cases use the same software on either platform.

I started the thread, although a little sarcastically as I do not especially like Apple, let alone most of their products personally (owning an iPhone 3G for 2+ years cemented feelings of dislike I had already), but I've always wanted to hold a semi-serious discussion on WHY these arguements happen, and most who i speak to will not go beyond "I <3 Apple" or "I hate Apple", and i might as well debate with my empty Pepsi Max can on the subject for the sense it makes.

So for being well reasoned, dare I say it PROFESSIONALS I thank you

If I could have mac OS X on a normal PC, and do all the normal gaming and other stuff I do on it, I absolutely would, at least dual boot for it.
    I think they've changed it now (i haven't looked at them closeup for a while now) but the Macbooks used to be just as plasticy as any normal one; the MBP came in the nice metal case, the MB's ones came in a horrible white plastic case that got dirty easily, cracked easily, and looked like a 4 year olds toy laptop/computer from ToysRUS.

If apple released a macbook in the 4-600 mark, I would bet they'd see a massive takeup in education, and a big boost to home users. Hell even i'd buy one (and probably give it to the wife).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post

If I could have mac OS X on a normal PC, and do all the normal gaming and other stuff I do on it, I absolutely would, at least dual boot for it.
    I am pretty sure I am right in saying this ( appologise if I am wrong and am welcome to corrections ) but I doubt apple would do this as they would lose money in there hardware sales and not to mention I think the whole reason behind having a set of pre determined hardware is that you can then build the OS around the hardware and not the other way around because then you know exactly what drivers are required for said hardware, how to program the OS around the said hardware because of the type of CPU's used, etc, etc.

Which in my opinion is what helps make the apple OS to a certain degree more stable on there own hardware along with the fact that it is a *nix / BSD type OS as apposed to being like windows OS with all of its weaknesses ie registry, explorer process etc etc

Anyway not too fussed about the whole PC vs Mac anymore as they both have there pro's and cons depending on the work flow / type of work or what said person wants to use and purchase for the said persons needs / requirements.

Macs are slow on the hardware side ref graphics cards at least and do agree ref the hard drive capacity comment above and also the RAM direct from apple is over priced ( which is why I normally go with crucial for mac ram )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    All this neg rep'ing over personal opinion is really quite pathetic - if you're going to do it at least have the balls to own up to it!
    i was going to neg rep you for commenting on a post about neg rep, but then i thought does 2 x neg rep = a pos rep? do two wrongs make a right? what is the square root of a cubed number?
    so instead ill just post this.....

14. 2 Thanks to MK-2:

LosOjos (18th January 2011), tech_guy (19th January 2011)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The burning question is that a pikelet or a pancake on the rabbits head?

Thank Post
    The real issues at hand are:

Who'd win in a fight:

Pirate vs Ninja
    Monkey with a knife vs a lion with steel teeth
    Terminator vs RoboCop
    Prince Charles vs Gordon Brown

... roll on 3.30.

17. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

tech_guy (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    The real issues at hand are:

Who'd win in a fight:

Pirate vs Ninja
    Monkey with a knife vs a lion with steel teeth
    Terminator vs RoboCop
    Prince Charles vs Gordon Brown

... roll on 3.30.
    Clearly you're a fan of the TV show Deadliest Warrior (or you soon will be). I love that somebody, somewhere is actually getting paid to answer questions like that and make a TV show out of it.

Thank Post
    I do watch it BUT they've not approached animals, robots or well known people... yet!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast