+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple: Love it or hate it. in General; Originally Posted by MK-2 Carrying on with the car comparision.... It's not really the hardware itself that annoys me, its ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Carrying on with the car comparision....
    It's not really the hardware itself that annoys me, its the marketing, media and gullibleness (yes its a word, look it up!) of consumers.
    If you had two cars on sale, and the Apple car was sat there with adverts playing showing "it changes from first to second gear, up to an amzing fifth gear with the revolutionary iStick" and you think "but all cars have a gearstick, thats nothing new." thats what p***es me off firstly, but then of course the consumers who will go on to only use those terms; "oh i'm fantastic at driving, my apple car lets me iStick into fourth".

Like i said, i'm not against the hardware, its the advertising and media hype of it all, and Apples determination that only by using their terminology, their hardware and their methods will you be the coolest person on the earth (and yes i know thats the whole idea of marketing, it still sickens me though), and also the consumers who blindly believe that owning an apple product is the be all and end all of arguments.
    Came across some of this today. My boss has an iPhone, and I've just received my shiny new HTC Desire HD. The Desire HD is a superior phone in terms of screen size, camera quality, memory, freedom etc... yet my manager says 'its a copy of the iPhone, and therefore can't be as good'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Came across some of this today. My boss has an iPhone, and I've just received my shiny new HTC Desire HD. The Desire HD is a superior phone in terms of screen size, camera quality, memory, freedom etc... yet my manager says 'its a copy of the iPhone, and therefore can't be as good'.
    By that logic, his shiny new BMW (OK, I don't know what car he really owns but bare with me) is a copy of this:

and therefore can't be as good.

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

superfletch (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll stick with my trusty HTC HD2. Now able to run Windows Mobile 6/Windows Phone 7 and Android. But I agree, my phone is capable of so much, even running 3 different OS's, yet shops will still show a "how does it compare to an iphone" guide.

Because when I buy an Aston Martin, I want the "how does it compare to a Nissan Micra" guide just so i know what i'm missing!

Thank Post
    Must say some interesting arguements, good thing about Mac is simply a few things. It is much more stable then windows but then thats due to the fact Windows you can do much more and much more compatibility options. It has had to tighten security because 90% of the worlds hackers love to go against Microsoft. That straight away means microsoft spend a lot of time securing their product.

Macs do look pretty, we have one here and every person who spots it "Wow, Can I get one". That really does sum up for me as a MAC, its a pretty little box for a professional at Arts.

It will also be personal preference, are you liking MAC because of MAC or is it because you hate Microsoft. I am sure if the world was MAC we would be swearing much more, I have been working with both and will always discourage people getting MACs unless you want to use it for simple things. I know some one who got a MAC for her photography art and she is brilliant with it, it works, no problems, no glitches but was it worth her spending a lot of money just for MSN, Internet and photoshop?

Our Music DEPT got a class full a year ago and only 1 month ago they actually started working properly, (lack of communication from Music Dept + the guy who set them up was an idiot - mac lover as well).

As of now, they are good, they seem to be working well but I will admit it was down to the MAC Idiot who was not Tech Savvy. Maybe that is half the problem, Mac lovers do not seem to be tech know how, they seem to be the typical lover "Its the best no matter what".

After using Mac and PC, I would rather use PC but then MACs certainly do have a few good things (not many).

Thank Post
    its a pretty little box for a professional at Arts.
    One of the plus points for macs is supposedly they are better for graphic design etc. Does anyone have a real justification for this?? I have heard plenty of people say it, but no one has ever given me a real reason why they would be. I would be very interested to hear if there is actually a technical (or useability) reason that would make them better for this area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane_Dibbley View Post
    One of the plus points for macs is supposedly they are better for graphic design etc. Does anyone have a real justification for this?? I have heard plenty of people say it, but no one has ever given me a real reason why they would be. I would be very interested to hear if there is actually a technical (or useability) reason that would make them better for this area.
    They used to be, when they used PowerPC chips. They aren't really any more, to be honest. The closest you could say now is that they are better for video editing, due to Final Cut Pro...

Thank Post
    I am being told the graphic design software is second to none. The version that MAC offers is much better then versions available for windows.

I too am very scepticle on this but thats what I am being told, I have used MAC for playing around and still could not see the difference from MAC version to PC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 818 Posts
    Because if you sit a starbucks mocha late next to one and put on a grandad cap you automatically get invited to art exhibitions and wine tastings

Thank Post
    So video editing? and the fact it does what it says on the box.

Plug it in, switch it on and away you go (pretty quickly too), still a lot of money for that, I know the OS is more reliable then MAC but as I mentioned before Windows has to be compatible with everything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    I am being told the graphic design software is second to none. The version that MAC offers is much better then versions available for windows.
    Ironically Adobe ware generally runs faster and better on windows nowadays really. CS4 for example had exclusive 64bit support only on windows due to apples software dev policies with coca (they stitched adobe again...)

Thank Post
    Glad you all know these details.

Thank Post

I too am very scepticle on this but thats what I am being told, I have used MAC for playing around and still could not see the difference from MAC version to PC.
    Graphic design software being...??? Photoshop? Illustrator? I can't imagine these running significantly better on a Mac than on my pc for instance - i7, gtx285, ssd, 6gb ddr3.

Thank Post
    It's just what I am being told, I am not a MAC lover at all. Would be much happier if they were banned from the "Work" sector and for personal use only.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's just what I am being told, I am not a MAC lover at all. Would be much happier if they were banned from the "Work" sector and for personal use only.
    You're being told porkies I think. As someone said, some graphic design stuff works better in Windows now. The whole thing is a leftover from days of old.

Thank Post
    You're being told porkies I think. As someone said, some graphic design stuff works better in Windows now. The whole thing is a leftover from days of old.
    It is a funny one isnt it. "Macs are industry standard in media, so Im going to get one with iLife"; This reason is so stupid its unbelievable when you look at it. As Im into music production Ill focus on that.

Garageband. This is a cut down version of Logic for kids. Granted it is very good for the money, infact the new version has just about everything you would need for a "garage band", but is it industry standard? Well no, not at all. Its backend is Logic but there is no comparison. So what is industry standard, or more appropriatly, what will the kids likely use if they get into music production? Logic pro, Pro Tools, Reason, Cubase, Ableton, FLStudio... the list goes on. So which out of these is Mac only? Only Logic Pro, which funnily enough was also for Windows until Apple aquired it in 2002.

"But surely they run better on Mac?"
    Intergration between apps, yes they do. Software for OSX does seem to put file in the proper folders more often than on Windows.
    Performance wise. From what I can see, no they dont. I have run some tests on Reason between mac and windows and on a £ for £ basis the PC comes out top by a fair margin. If you compare the hardware like for like the mac comes out top, but only just, certainly not enough to justify the costs imo.

"But I'm just going to use garageband so you arguement is pointless"
    Ok, Garageband is a very good app for kids, but dont delude yourself into thinking it is industry standard because it isnt. Just because the kids can use garageband doesnt mean they will be able to pick up one of the proper DAWs as they are infinately more complex. It has taken me years to "master" Reason (and I use that term loosely because I am certainly still learning), where as I had licked Garageband as soon as I opened it.

"But surely this is a reflection on the good quality interface of garageband"
    Yes, its really easy to pick up, things are in an intuative place, but most importantly Reason is infinatly more powerful and as such is always going to be harder to use.

On a final note. Would I buy a Mac if music production was my livelyhood? Yes I probably would. But it would have to be a Mac Pro, which given the cost, I would have to be earning a decent wage to justify the outlay when a PC is just as good in nearly all the important aspects.
    If people would admit that they are buying a Mac simply for iLife, and not because its industry standard, I feel alot of these arguements would not come about. But then once one admits that you have to compare the price of "Mac with iLife" to "Windows with Reason/Pro tools/etc", which will be very similar if not less for the PC (especially when you factor in the added support costs and a mac server), and decide which suits your needs the most. Do you want "industry standard" software, or do you want easy software?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th January 2011 at 04:44 PM.

17. Thanks to j17sparky from:

capncrunch (18th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast