+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 166
General Chat Thread, Apple: Love it or hate it. in General; Folk know my preference and I have spoken about being happy using whatever is in front of me several times, ...
  1. #46

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,937
    Thank Post
    1,343
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    595
    Folk know my preference and I have spoken about being happy using whatever is in front of me several times, but *my* mac setup allows me to be more productive ... I've done a comparison swap back to windows and spent time on Ubuntu as well ... it is partly me and partly just one of those things.

    There are lots of things I don't agree with Apple about ... yes, some machines are over-specced / under-priced ... some machines have been an absolute disaster ... but most are good, have lasted longer (both in hardware and usability) then most windows PCs I have had.

    There are many who love or hate Macs or Apple who will just take offence at what the other side say. If that is the case feel free to move on ... most of us on here who like and use macs are intelligent human beings are have made a choice. There are lots of wonderful arguments with points, but it gets into being like politics. Some times an opinion or preference is a personal thing. Trying to quantify things purely logically is just not going to work.

    As for the rep issue ... if I say something that someone does not agree with and they neg rep me then I take that on the chin, the same way I appreciate those that either give me thanks or give me pos rep. Malicious rep will get spotted so by all means speak with mods / admins ... but I gave up worrying about it a while ago. You sometimes get neg rep for *not* taking a position (and you also get splinters).

  2. #47
    dayzd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In front of computer
    Posts
    406
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, that particularly winds me up. State run networks spewing Apple stories everywhere for days as opposed to the occasional twenty five second story about Android or Windows Phone, it is so one sided and I don't feel that taxpayers should be funding Apple advertising becacuse of the medias little fettish.
    I don't imagine it's as intended as that. The BBC are just getting caught up in the media hype along with everyone else - they'd be accused of not reporting properly if they didn't cover Apple launches. Plus, when Apple announces something they call groundbreaking, or a 'game changer', for whatever reason, they're normally right, making it newsworthy.

  3. #48
    maark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    473
    Thank Post
    90
    Thanked 74 Times in 66 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    On a slightly different tack - anyone noticed how little Apple stuff there is at bett this year?
    Are Apple making too much money from ipods/ipads and consumer stuff to bother with education?

  4. #49
    Fatmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    770
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 124 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    On a slightly different tack - anyone noticed how little Apple stuff there is at bett this year?
    Are Apple making too much money from ipods/ipads and consumer stuff to bother with education?
    Maybe it boils down to price again? A lot of school budgets are being hit very hard for next year so with PC based systems and virtualisation, maybe Apple realised that cannot compete with the price point a lot of other companies use.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    I'm just a little curious about a comparison made earlier in the thread. How many people would select a 'status' car (such as a BMW) over a cheaper, more practical car - potentially with better performance and much cheaper (though potentially more regular) maintenance? I'm really starting to think that the whole debate is caused by a fundamental difference in the way that people perceive value (incidentally, I'm on the anti-Apple side, but that's my natural dislike of designer branding coming in to play, so is a biased opinion).

  6. #51
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,402
    Thank Post
    648
    Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    This may of been said already (I doubt it as these arguements always get out the hardcore on both sides) but...

    I'd like to start by stating I'm a Mac user and Mac fan, however, at home, I also have a windows based machine, and I'm a network technician for a windows based network (which has 2 macs on it but aside from that).

    Quite simply, and the OP hints at this, buy whichever does the job best for you! For me, I am a freelance designer working in multiple disciplines, so the Mac has been my tool of choice, but I have the Windows machine for when I need to run disk diagnostics and recover files for my windows based clients.

    Although I'm a Mac Fan / MacBoy, if someone came to me and said "I'm a gamer and I want a machine to play games with. Which Mac would you recommend?" I'd say "none of them unless you only ever want to buy from a limited choice of games released on the Mac platform, and even then, choose a PC" You simply cannot beat a PC for the gaming capabililties (unless you look at the dedicated consoles out there, but that's not the arguement here).

    If someone came to me and said "I'm about to start a media degree and I'll be doing loads of image and video work with a bit of audio editing thrown in their for good measure, which PC should I get" I would probably say "have you considered Mac?" and show the various options they have with that.

    Now, even at this point, the person might have a desire to work with a PC, and their are adiquate tools out there (Adobe Premier and After Effects for the Video, ProTools for the Audio, Photoshop for the Image work etc) and they might be scared of learning a new platform, so I'd spec them a high end PC.

    Simply put, choose what is best for yourself, not what you think is the most fashionable item, not what is the cheapest option, not the option which gains you the most popularity because you're jumping on the latest Apple / PC hate campaign, but what does the job the best. What is best for you might cost more than the competition, but is it really competition if that is what does the job best? It's one of those things where you'll just enjoy the job more if you're using the correct tools.

  7. Thanks to soveryapt from:

    Rydra (17th January 2011)

  8. #52

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,187
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 335 Times in 238 Posts
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, that particularly winds me up. State run networks spewing Apple stories everywhere for days as opposed to the occasional twenty five second story about Android or Windows Phone, it is so one sided and I don't feel that taxpayers should be funding Apple advertising becacuse of the medias little fettish.
    I find that a tad annoying, too. Plus you see Macs in the most unlikely settings in various US shows. I've noticed that MS seems to be fighting back: recent episodes of "Bones" have heavily featured Windows phones, and "Leverage" seems to have a good range of tech suppliers.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I'm just a little curious about a comparison made earlier in the thread. How many people would select a 'status' car (such as a BMW) over a cheaper, more practical car - potentially with better performance and much cheaper (though potentially more regular) maintenance? I'm really starting to think that the whole debate is caused by a fundamental difference in the way that people perceive value (incidentally, I'm on the anti-Apple side, but that's my natural dislike of designer branding coming in to play, so is a biased opinion).
    You could have something there: I'm so anti "brands" that I've occasionally not bought an otherwise decent product because it's the "in" thing to have. I'd certainly never buy a logo-bedecked item of clothing. However, BMWs are different: it's fear of the device that turns all owners into maniacs.

  9. #53

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    I have both mac and PC at home.... which I use all the time. (I have both an Imac and MacBook Pro plus a standard PC and normal laptop)

    One thing about macs (and no doubt this will be questioned) is the design....... My imac is space saving compared to my PC which share the same desk.....
    When I am out and about, I tend to use my macbook, simply because of battery life.....

    With the macs, you can dual boot between mac and windows which is one up on the PC but the PC make up for this on cost and ease of upgrading. (yes I know both can also run virtual computers giving access to other OS systems)

    Many of the open source packages for the PC are slowly becoming available for macs.......

    The argument about PC vs Mac has been a long standing one and one that will continue......

    At the end of the day, it is down to choice and what you are going to do with the machine..... (choosing the right tool for the job)

  10. #54


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,619
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 860 Times in 738 Posts
    Rep Power
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by abullett View Post
    I don't imagine it's as intended as that. The BBC are just getting caught up in the media hype along with everyone else - they'd be accused of not reporting properly if they didn't cover Apple launches. Plus, when Apple announces something they call groundbreaking, or a 'game changer', for whatever reason, they're normally right, making it newsworthy.
    imk not complaining they do news pieces just the length and frequency. And a lot of groundbreaking stuff is stuff thats been done before apple have just given it a new name/lick of paint and they dont point out the flipside like not being able to send files via bluetooth on any i -device (at least as far as im aware bluetooth is crippled do headset only)

  11. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,168
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 319 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    imk not complaining they do news pieces just the length and frequency. And a lot of groundbreaking stuff is stuff thats been done before apple have just given it a new name/lick of paint and they dont point out the flipside like not being able to send files via bluetooth on any i -device (at least as far as im aware bluetooth is crippled do headset only)
    Don't forget - they also invented touchscreen phones, video calling (however limited their version may be), camera phones, application stores (currently they are trying to enforce their trademark for the term App Store), and much, much more.

  12. #56

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,725
    Thank Post
    909
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 808 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Don't forget - they also invented touchscreen phones, video calling (however limited their version may be), camera phones, application stores (currently they are trying to enforce their trademark for the term App Store), and much, much more.
    You are being sarcastic I hope as they invented none of that, they popularized it.

  13. 4 Thanks to ZeroHour:

    Chris_ (17th January 2011), nephilim (14th January 2011), Rydra (17th January 2011), SYNACK (14th January 2011)

  14. #57

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,792
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You are being sarcastic I hope as they invented none of that, they popularized it.
    Popularising can be just as important as inventing sometimes though. Look at 'internet tv'. WebTV was running way back in the 90's, yet barely got off the ground, as everyone wasn't ready for it (quality wasn't such an issue, as TVs and the associated transmission techniques at the time were pretty poor too).

    Now, internet TV is taking off majorly with iPlayer, BT Vision, Apple TV, etc...

  15. #58

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,483
    Thank Post
    1,444
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Rep Power
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Popularising can be just as important as inventing sometimes though. Look at 'internet tv'. WebTV was running way back in the 90's, yet barely got off the ground, as everyone wasn't ready for it (quality wasn't such an issue, as TVs and the associated transmission techniques at the time were pretty poor too).

    Now, internet TV is taking off majorly with iPlayer, BT Vision, Apple TV, etc...
    True, but what is damn annoying about Apple is that they act like they invented these things.

    "FaceTime! It's new! It's great! Only on iPhone!"

    No, it's not new, it's not great and it's not only on iPhone, video calling has been on phones for years now, you can't just put a f-in silly brand name on it and claim it's something new!

  16. #59

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,792
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    No, it's not new, it's not great and it's not only on iPhone, video calling has been on phones for years now, you can't just put a f-in silly brand name on it and claim it's your own!
    Well, obviously they can do that, as they are doing it.

  17. #60

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,483
    Thank Post
    1,444
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Rep Power
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Well, obviously they can do that, as they are doing it.
    In that case, I'm going to release a brand new food product: it's got a dough base and you tend to put tomato sauce and cheese on it, but then you can pick all your own toppings too! I'm going to call it EatTime. Any investors?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 5th November 2010, 02:30 PM
  2. Windows 7 - HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT
    By mattx in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 10:49 AM
  3. Love AutoIt hate Sage
    By gshaw in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th September 2009, 12:56 PM
  4. Foods that you love and hate
    By mark80 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 10:19 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •