+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple: Love it or hate it. in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,910 Times in 2,142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    They aren't the same card though are they? Why exactly do you think one is £80 and the other is £300?
    You may find it hard to believe, but both cards do use exactly the same GPU - the Juniper XT. One of the main differences between the FirePro V5800 and the Radeon HD 5770 is that the drivers for the FirePro are optimized and certified for the major CAE and digital content creation applications like AutoCAD, Pro/ENGINEER, Houdini and Maya where accuracy and reliability are absolutely essential. The additional certification obviously takes time (and therefore money) which is why the cards are more expensive. You also have to take into account the target market. While you and I would hesitate at paying an additional £220 for what is essentially the same graphics card, most companies would not.

The FirePro V5800 is designed to be AMD's powerful mid-range performer that provides support for driving three displays, offers 2.5x the computing capability over their previous-generation mid-range ASICs, and has 1GB of GDDR5 video memory. The V5800 core is derived from the Juniper XT GPU, which is the chip found in the consumer-grade Radeon HD 5770. There are 800 stream processors to be found on this GPU, 64GB/s of memory bandwidth and its power consumption is less than 75 Watts. (Source)
    The certification of AMD FirePro and AMD FireGL accelerators by software application vendors assures professional engineers, designers and animators that the AMD FirePro and AMD FireGL line delivers a stable and high performance workstation graphics environment on both Windows and Linux platforms.

The rigorous and exacting certification processes, conducted by software vendors, puts AMDs FirePro and FireGL graphics accelerators up against a battery of simulations and real-world scenarios, ensuring compatibility and stability required by workstation users. AMDs quality assurance engineers also carry out comprehensive compliance, performance and functionality verification tests, and work closely with application and workstation vendors to refine the AMD FirePro and AMD FireGL products, thereby creating the highest level of reliability and performance. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    So of course it's a biased comparison
    Obviously. I'm starting to think Localzuk is the only person in the thread who truly understands what I am saying. To do a fair and unbiased comparison, you have to limit yourself to the components the OEM offers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I am not sure if the same can be done with Apple.
    Apple Mac graphics cards are slightly different because the firmware needs to be able to support EFI-based systems. A standard graphics card won't work. This means the range of graphics cards you can choose from is very limited (I think the AMD Radeon HD 5770/5870 and nVidia Quadro 4000/FX 4800 are your only options unless you get something older). Perhaps this situation will change when the computer industry stops dragging their feet and make UEFI standard on all computers? I hope so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Perhaps this situation will change when the computer industry stops dragging their feet and make UEFI standard on all computers? I hope so.
    When UEFI becomes available does this ( hopefully ) mean that PC graphics cards will be compatable with apple macs so I can just shove any graphics card in a mac that has the correct graphics card slot ( so my 2008 mac pro ) I should hopefully be able to take a UEFI PCI Express x16 graphics card and it work or is that not the case because of the firmware on the apple mac graphics cards being different altogether ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    When UEFI becomes available does this ( hopefully ) mean that PC graphics cards will be compatable with apple macs so I can just shove any graphics card in a mac that has the correct graphics card slot ( so my 2008 mac pro ) I should hopefully be able to take a UEFI PCI Express x16 graphics card and it work or is that not the case because of the firmware on the apple mac graphics cards being different altogether ?
    Depends on if Apples implementation is the same standard as what the new PCs ship with when they run EFI. It probably is but we are talking about Apple here.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    enough of this geek talk, lets get the topic back on track.....

apple, love it....nom nom nom

6. 2 Thanks to MK-2:

firefox_2006 (20th January 2011), mac_shinobi (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Depends on if Apples implementation is the same standard as what the new PCs ship with when they run EFI. It probably is but we are talking about Apple here.
    Which, knowing Apple, is not normally the case, lol!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even if it is, don't count on third party graphics cards working properly as there probably won't be OS X drivers for them!

Thank Post
    *Apple hate it
    Grrrr

Anyway I will not buy a MAC, besides the fact I work in IT to me there really is not a need for me to have a MAC. Although I have just purchased an IPhone4 which will turn up today. It replaces my phone and my ipod so it makes sense, I got it with sat nav so another bonus. My Ipod lasted for 5 years so hopefully this one does the same. I am not a Gizmo man, I dont fancy all the fancy new toys because they are a lot of money for some thing you should be using. Like a car, I brought a fiesta titanium new model 1.6 although I wanted a fancy car there wasnt so much a point so I still got something which has some good style, good engine and not expensive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    While you and I would hesitate at paying an additional £220 for what is essentially the same graphics card, most companies would not.
    And why is that? Why, when your livelyhood depends on it, do you go for the certified option over the cheap option? Why does a certified professional get payed more than one who isnt?

You can't possibly say the fair way to compare is to limit yourself to the components the OEMs offers, otherwise lets compare the Acer Revo to the Mac Mini; graphics card is similar, ram the same, HD the same, CPU... "but the atom is all the OEM sells".
    Fair enough if we were comparing the 5770 to the 5750, where the price difference is only a few bob, but we are talking 3 and a half times the cost here, and teh difference between professional grade and consumer, not a fair comparison at all.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 20th January 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Name:  appleonapple_02.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  53.1 KB

love apple - Wish I had that many as per the pic ( I mean apple macs not actual apples )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have heard fresh lines can be pain with sky, I was previous a BT line with another provider (not bt) and moving was really easy and fast.
    This was a line converstion from a BT line, so the line was in existance, but we were taking out a new number on it as the previous owners had taken their number with them. The line went active (for incoming) 2 weeks after the order, so I though great, BB on it's way soon, the line then went active about a week and a half later for outgoing, but Sky denied all knowledge of the line.

At first they tried to tell me that the line wasn't active and that if I checked I'd find the number was the same as the old number and that in fact our new number hadn't yet arrived, so I did the old BT Line Test facilities and it read back a different number to the old one (I had the old one as I'd been in contact with the vendors about a few things) so I rang Sky on the landline itself, and they still denied it existed .. I asked them (knowing full well they have call recognition CRM in place) to look at the number I was phoning from and they realised that it was the number they had assisgned, but still didn't believe that the line was active and on their system.

They said to hang up and try dialing 150 and that I would find that it still said "Welcome to BT customer services" or whatever their welcome message is, I asked the guy to phone me on my mobile whilst I was on as I'd already been trying to get through for I don't know how long, which they did, and I did the 150 and even put the received up to my mobile "Welcome to SKY Customer Services" was the message .. but they still didn't believe me ..

You don't know how angry I was at all of this. I asked one guy for compensation so he said we can't give you compensation for something you don't have, so that was it, he got a blow by blow account with names of people I'd spoken to, dates and times at which I'd spoken to them, the fact that they had cancelled the order 3 times themselves because they had f$$$$$ it all up (and yes, I did use that word, but was gracious enough to put "pardon my language here but it's the only word to describe your service so far" in front of it) and that this was the 4th order I was in and he wants to know why I want compensation ..

I then phoned them every day, once in the morning before work and once in the evening after work to keep tracking progress and generally annoying them as this was over 2 months into it ..

Eventually it got sorted and the service from them, although it's only a 2mb line because I'm on a rural exchange, it has been steady and good, it was just that first hurdle, and I've not spoken to anyone who has gone with Sky Broadband who hasn't had similar issues. I actually asked the guy, during the run down, "and exactly who gave you this award for your Broadband, do you not feel that you have been conning them or don't you care because it brings you more people along to disappoint?"

Anyway [/RANT] lol ..

Thank Post
    Who is winning the smartphone battle? Not Android or Apple!

Take China with 277 million smartphone users.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that maths dont add up there!

65.2% on OVI
    57.7% on MMarket

By my maths that alone is over 100%....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

65.2% on OVI
    57.7% on MMarket

That just proves how successful they are!

Or possibly that people use more than 1 app store.

Details: iResearch
    Last edited by somabc; 20th January 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, remember that China is a very different beast to the 'West' when looking at technology.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

65.2% on OVI
    57.7% on MMarket

would that be because some people have multiple phones say a y-phone and a nokia and are saying yes to both in surves, maybe they have a nokia as a works phone and a y-phone as personal?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast