+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, General IT - Inset Day in General; Hey all i'm a network technician at a school in Derby, in the up and coming weeks were having an ...

Thank Post

General IT - Inset Day

Hey all i'm a network technician at a school in Derby, in the up and coming weeks were having an inset day where each member of the IT department will be providing basic training on a particular subject to support staff. Unfortunately i've been lumbered with general IT as my subject (or lack of subject) and I am seriously lacking ideas on what to fill the hour with. The users are relatively basic but seasoned enough to not be wowed by being shown how to end tasks, create folders etc. Any idea's would be muchly appreciated.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are using Office 2010 this post might be of use to you:

Link: Make the switch to Outlook 2010: Free Microsoft Outlook 2010 Training Courses

Thank Post
    How about things like - moving/copying files, how to do group and specific select (Ctrl and Shift), etc

Thank Post
    Agree with the above, perhaps sending emails - arranging calendar entries? Doing reports in your MIS?

Thank Post
    Develop use of email - calendar, creating folders, rules, distribution groups, etc? Or basic PC troubleshooting (depends on users, and may be more use for teachers where kids have unplugged things!)

edit - Drat, beaten to it!............

Thank Post
    Thank you for the replies everyone! I feel though I should have elaborated further in my original post, the rest of the IT department collectively are covering CCTV, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and E-Mail meaning I can't really cover any of these subjects.

The Folder tips and tricks is a good idea which i'm sure people will benefit from, i'm also considering demonstrating how to VPN into our network from home (although they all should really know how to do this by now). Please keep the suggestions coming

rad
    Thank Post
    Why not go to Internet searching, If its aimed at teachers, how to report faults, how to check this/that and other working.

All depends on your audience.

Thank Post
    Go round to the staff and ask them what general problems they encounter on a day to day basis. That way you can try to address some of the issues that people have and make it more suited to your audience than general IT.

Other than those comments already made you could talk through how things are setup and why. That way your users might understand a little more of why you use printer restriction for exmaple. It also might make them a little more understanding when things they ask for get refused, copying DVD's, installing unlicensed software, the need to use apropriate file/folder names especially for restoring purposes that kind of thing. And why it isn't a good idea to just keep trying to print if nothing comes out of the printer

Edit:Oh and if you have a helpdesk, how to use it (if it's not used already). If you dont have a helpdesk, how communication between staff and IT support can be improved to get a better service. Possibly ending in proposing a helpdesk and if staff would use it.

Thank Post
    A favourite of mine is demonstrating animation in Powerpoint with Spongebog Squarepants. Srs.

Entertaining but not overly silly.

Oh hang on yes it is.

Meh, they learn how to animate so all good.

Thank Post
    Hmm..

How to plug a network cable into a socket
    How to plug a mains plug into a wall socket and turn the power on, including demonstration of the on/off switch on the wall socket
    How to put paper in a printer, also demonstrating why putting old crumpled paper in is not a good idea
    How to read the description on a packet of printer labels/transparencies, highlighting where it says 'suitable for inket printers' or 'suitable for laser printer' and which printers you can use them in
    The volume and mute controls on a computer, the volume control and power buttons on speakers
    How to do dual display on a laptop when using a projector

Basically, go through all those support requests you continually get which the end users really should be able to sort out themselves. Word of warning though, some teachers may take offence so start off by showing them a list of the number of support requests (anonymised obviously) you get for this type of stuff and they'll hopefully understand

Thank Post
    How to log a call on the helpdesk, if your users are the type that try to avoid it at all costs

Thank Post
    how to use BCC when sending emails
    how to use Reply rather than Reply All
    how to login to the network from an external location to pick up emails
    choosing good passwords
    changing passwords

Thank Post
    Ask them and / or cover the top 15 reported "problems" on the helpdesk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    google advanced search is your friend!

Thank Post
    list wat p!$$3$ u off about what they do and train on that. eg trying to fix a fault their self

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread