+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Internal IP Phone Systems in General; I'm looking at costing up an internal IP phone system, does anyone have any experience in this area who's brains ...

Thank Post

Internal IP Phone Systems

I'm looking at costing up an internal IP phone system, does anyone have any experience in this area who's brains I can pick please?

It is for inter class communication and does not require external dialling.

Also, what other ways can the system be set up i.e. dect style phones or something

Thank Post
    Ours is internal and external - Centos, Asterisk 1.6, Freepbx and a bunch of SIP phones (including some Wifi) and soft phones.

Centos, asterisk and freepbx can be found together in things like trixbox, and pbx-in-a-flash has something similar (and asterisknow).

Setup asterisk, use freepbx to setup extension for each phone, setup phone to connect to pbx with extension details, start calling.

Edit: oh, you can get Dect SIP phones (dect base station does IP bit, then phone to base station is dect)

Cheers

Will

3. Thanks to Willott from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've got a similar setup to Wilmott. Ubuntu, Asterisk 1.2, Freepbx and a bunch of Grandstream GXP2000 handsets.

You can do this sort of thing very cheaply to be honest, as Asterisk is not exactly that power hungry for small numbers of handsets.

My only advice would be - if you scrimp on the handsets, you'll get issues. Our GXP2000's are fine but have some annoying issues. I'd love to replace them with something tougher, like Snom or Polycom.

A good couple of sites for info on this would be Asterisk Hardware, Phone Systems, IP Phones & VoIP Equipment - VoIPon Solutions and voip-info.org - voip-info.org

When I get a moment, I intend to update our system to a later version of Asterisk, quite possibly shifting to Trixbox too.

You can of course get pre-built systems such as this: Rhino Ceros Desktop, 160GB Hard Drive (CEROSDT-160GB) if you don't fancy too much messing around too.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Localzuk reminded me about suppliers... we used voipon for our phones - got Doro phones, which appear to be rebadged snom's - as far as configuration goes they have pretty much the same options as the Snoms. Voipon may have had an offer on them, but they were about half the price that their website showed - certainly worth asking them for a quote (I think I'd asked for a general SIP phone)

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    To be honest, to implement and manage this by my self and provide the support and training will be a huge task. Ideally I would have a pre-built/configured system with some kind of support package/training.

Now real world means that the cost will be too much, so, I see a compromise coming lol.

Thank Post
    Suggest you check out Fonality trixbox CE, an Asterisk-based PBX Phone System (formerly Asterisk@Home) | trixbox, AsteriskNOW | Asterisk or PBX in a Flash

Simple installs and configs. If you have a spare old PC kicking around (possibly P4) then it should run for what you need (or virtualise it - I think there are some prebuilt virtual machines for some of them).

9. Thanks to Willott from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    On the phone side, do you install dedicated ports for each phone or can you piggyback them PC > Phone > Port ??

Thank Post
    Depends on the phone - quite a few of the "business" phones have inbuilt switch (which can quite often do VLANing as well).

12. Thanks to Willott from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    So this could be implemented site wide with very little infrastructure change? Im starting to like the idea more and more

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    So this could be implemented site wide with very little infrastructure change? Im starting to like the idea more and more
    Yes, it should involve minimal change. However, you want to ensure you have QoS for the phones enabled. Also, to make sure of high quality here, we have VLANs set up, so phones have a dedicated segment of network.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Other thing (which I forgot) was power - either socket near phone or PoE, not something which may not exist from normal phones

17. Thanks to Willott from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Can't advise much here, as we're Cisco VoIP throughout, with callmanager, ARC console etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Can't advise much here, as we're Cisco VoIP throughout, with callmanager, ARC console etc.
    Blooming heck... do you have gold plated urinals as well!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Other thing (which I forgot) was power - either socket near phone or PoE, not something which may not exist from normal phones
    Indeed. We put in a PoE switch for our office/admin area, as there was a high density of VOIP devices, but everywhere else we use normal plugs.

21. Thanks to localzuk from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Microsoft Lync here... just trying to sort out the ISDN gateway but that won't bother you. Lync licensing is cheap on Schools Agreement and I'm using a mix of Polycom CX300 (USB) and Snom 300 (IP with inbuilt switch) handsets. I compared the costs to Asterisk and it was pretty similar and I prefered the Lync featureset.

I found Voipon to be the most expensive when it came to quotes - I was surprised. Angel Technologies were cheapest and got me the CX300 handsets for the price of CX200 ones! Insight were also very competitive.

23. Thanks to Ric_ from:

CHR1S (7th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast