+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Predictions: Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know in General; Link: Things babies born in 2011 will never know: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 919 Posts
    Blog Entries

Predictions: Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know

Thank Post
    Indeed..one of the reasons the diary I'm keeping for Isabel who is now 14 months has gone from being paper based to video based. Heh. Easier to show things that may or may not be around when she's old enough to understand it. All 3 lots of snow (excluding todays) are in clips. My car is in one, along with the engine etc explaining that IMO, the petrol engine is on limited life now, and cars in "my" day ran on fossil fuel, etc etc.

A 2000 Astra-G will be somewhat antique by the time it applies to her..

There's a clip on there of me explaining my job, what I do, current tech of the day, showing our ADSL etc. I can just imagine that being veiwed in the future with amusement. Our CRT TV is on there, and so on. Grandmas have their own little clips on there, as do pets and so on and so forth.

Hopefully it'll give her something to look back on in years to come and see that stone-age we may seem, but it's all good. Plus it's easier to give advice and opinion to a camera, I find.

I doubt she'll remember the cottage we're in now either, so that's in there. First place she lived in.

3. 2 Thanks to Sirbendy:

linuxgirlie (7th January 2011), stitch (7th January 2011)

gmj

Thank Post
    @ Sirbendy.

What a great idea! When its my time to start a family will do something similar.

But surely the first place your daughter lived in was the good lady?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmj View Post
    But surely the first place your daughter lived in was the good lady?
    Possibly might seem a bit wrong to ask the Missus for a couple of shots of that though!!!

6. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

Rydra (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sirbendy: Will the proper codecs and technology be around in years to come to view your videos?

Thank Post
    A good question! It's all currently in HUGE MP4 format (all done on my Flip Ultra HD), I'm pondering a re-encode down to WMV for size/ease of storage, and maybe then burning to DVD month by month (or however much I can fit to DVD).

Then again, DVD is an old standard...I can see it being progressively remastered over the years to keep it playable. There's no real easy solution..

At least the web pre/post birth/milestone blog that the missus is keeping should be easily ported to newer formats.

And as to shots of the good lady...don't bet on it. I bought the flip as she was so spaced on Entenox and pethadin that she can't recall much about the delivery, and is quite gutted she can't remember the first few minutes post birth etc. She said "next time, I want it on video".

So that's the flips ultimate purpose. In a year or 2, possibly..it'll be used for that. Until then, it can do video diaries, parties, and things like last nights "first footsteps, first run, first "the door is shut, I will open the door whilst standing unaided and wander off"" duties. I've got a lovely vid of our big cat (who loves Izzy dearly) looking at her running toward him with hugging intent in a sort of "Oh my god, you're mobile.." way, eyes wide and ears flat.
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 7th January 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Sirbendy: Will the proper codecs and technology be around in years to come to view your videos?
    BBC NEWS | In Depth | dot life | No home for digital pictures?

BBC article related to that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    My car is in one, along with the engine etc explaining that IMO, the petrol engine is on limited life now, and cars in "my" day ran on fossil fuel, etc etc.
    Yep, really looking forward to electric cars, the road is 120 metres away from our house so it's going to be fun trying to charge the batteries

Really nice idea what you're doing, that'll be great fun to look at in 20 or 30 years time :-)

Thank Post
    ye gods, the old laserdiscs and the DD project..my school (was 7ish at the time) did a bit for that, and we had a player on loan...I remember that beastie..

I'm digitising a lot of ancient (turn of the century-esqe) family photos I've had from relatives..black and white/sepias, some damaged, some just time aged..all with no negatives. Hundreds of the things. It'd be a shame to lose them, and the relatives that could provide info on them are dying off now as well. I was thinking DVD archives, refreshed every couple of years to beat disc rot, with master compilations on external large capacity drives, only started when needed to minimise wear. Brother is thinking safe deposit box too.

It's true though, we are effectively trying to tapdance on quicksand! However, who better than us to do so? Heh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I thought it kinda missed the point. No one buys a new sd card to take new pictures. The storage media the camera uses is fairly irrelevant, its whats in the computer. So long as you back up your hdd somewhere, and convert to new file formats as they are made (how long have we had jpg's????), no problem I can see...

Thank Post
    tbh the likes of avi, jpeg, wmv, mp3, mpeg aren't going anywhere fast. there is simply too much we use it for now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Hand-written letters: For that matter, hand-written anything. When was the last time you wrote cursive? In fact, do you even know what the word "cursive" means? Kids born in 2011 won't -- but they'll put you to shame on a tiny keyboard.
    Apart form the fact that a lot of schools still insist on teaching kids cursive today...

Personally I hated being forced to write in cursive at primary school, and immediately went back to print at the first opportunity. I've had the discussion about why we still teach it recently with staff at my current school. The best argument anyone could come up with is that apparently there is evidence it helps with learning spelling. A close second was 'helps with hand-eye co-ordination', but there are plenty of other things that do that job as well or better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Interesting thing about that article - "27% of all cameras sold are now digital" already sounds like an archaic statement, and that was less than 9 years ago! Must be 99% now, that is assuming there are still new film cameras being sold at all?!

But as for the fears expressed there, not an issue really. JPEG is now ubiquitus, and you can still read every memory card type very easily.

Also of course that article pre-dates the biggest online photo album in history - Facebook. Now its difficult to actually lose any pictures, even if you wanted to! (albeit quite low resolution versions of them)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    A good question! It's all currently in HUGE MP4 format (all done on my Flip Ultra HD), I'm pondering a re-encode down to WMV for size/ease of storage, and maybe then burning to DVD month by month (or however much I can fit to DVD).
    You do realise in 2025 Microsoft's latest OS will become self aware, and the head of Bill Gates soldered onto Arnies body will rise and destroy humanity? So I wouldn't bother with WMV, I'm pretty sure .avi will be the only thing to save humanity

Thank Post
    even if say jpeg falls out of use dosent mean that it couldnt be rewritten. It would probably be akin to codebreaking but if you knoew a file was a picture so had some idea of the output i dont see it as being that hard to eventually via computer trial and error to recreate the protocol to a big if not 100% degree and thats assuming there isnt a single copy of the protocols out there somewhere

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast