+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bit harsh in General; Driver gets fined for warning other motorists about the speed traps. In my opinion the police should be concentrating on ...
    Thank Post

Bit harsh

Driver gets fined for warning other motorists about the speed traps. In my opinion the police should be concentrating on other matters!!

Driver who flashed headlights to warn motorists of speed trap fined | Mail Online

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where, exactly, is the public interest in this case?

So, he flashed a few cars to warn them of a speed trap, and that is classed as "perverting the course of justice"?

The Police must have soooo little to do, in this country.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    So, he flashed a few cars
    maybe the police were thinking too much out of the box..

Thank Post
    it all hinges on what you think speed cameras are for.

if they are there to slow down traffic then what he did is fine as it slowed down traffic so job done (same with visible cakeras and signs)
    if they are there to make money then he did wrong as people slowed down and so diddnt give them any money

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He got what he deserved. He broke the law so must face the consequences. Chin up you whining old fart.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it all hinges on what you think speed cameras are for.

if they are there to slow down traffic then what he did is fine as it slowed down traffic so job done (same with visible cakeras and signs)
    if they are there to make money then he did wrong as people slowed down and so diddnt give them any money
    Absolutely! what does that do to the credibility of the claims that "speed traps are not out to make money, they are there to reduce accidents and speeds" that we keep hearing

Thank Post
    How did he break the law?
    Its not illegal to flash people - the Highway code is only advisory unless it states "YOU MUST" or "YOU MUST NOT" in which case it is a legal requirement to comply with that rule ..

In fact according the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 - there is no mention about flashing your headlamps..

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was aiding and abetting people. He got caught so should be man enough to take the punishment without whingeing like an old idiot.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 5th January 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Thank Post
    aiding and abetting people - by slowing them down?? I still fail to see the crime here?
    surely if he was encouraging them to speed up then there would be a case to answer.. but for SLOWING them down?!

So does that mean that all traffic calming measures are also illegal since they "aide and abet" in the slowing down of traffic?

Thank Post
    They claim he obstructed the police from doing their duty which is against the law.

Thank Post
    fair enough, but were the police in the process of trying to arrest or otherwise question one of those drivers?
    if not, they are mearly grasping at straws - possibly due to upcoming cutbacks..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    He was aiding and abetting people. He got caught so should be man enough to take the punishment without longeing like an old idiot.
    He got what he deserved. He broke the law so must face the consequences. Chin up you whining old fart.
    I could give you negative rep, for that statement, but as it's your own views and opinions, I'd much rather just discuss it!

That is an incredibly silly statement to make....There is NO law, as far as I can find, that says you must not flash other cars. Would you flash a car to warn them of anything else? Perhaps an accident, just round the corner, or a fallen tree on the road?

The Police have over-reacted to this....especially if the quote "I was going to let you off with a caution - but I’m not now" is true.

Sorry, but that gives the Police a bad name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a typical magistrates court ruling where they of course side with the police, unless the evidence is black and white and in front of them. I've seen it so many times before its ridiculous.

If the guy appealed, you can be pretty sure he would be acquitted as

a) it is not reasonable to think that flashing your lights is an offence
    b) that slowing people down is not illegal

Obstructing the police is not about something like this, it is preventing them from doing their job (eg. arresting people, detecting crime). At the locality where the person flashed their lights, the police were not doing either of these things. Only further up the road were they doing this.

Thank Post
    Interesting that this has come up. Had this discussion with a police officer a few years ago, he was of the opinion that it was perverting the course of justice. Technically, he was correct, but I'd say it's a discretionary matter for most cases. They should be advising with a chat; from the content of the article in the Fail, that's what the copper would have done. There's your lesson - don't argue back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    although i too disagree with the decision, i can see where the argument is. as localzuk says, the job of the police is to detect crime, and by him alerting them to the presence of police, he interfered with them detecting crime.
    i know its still a very weak argument, and i still think its utter stupidity, as it now means if you pass a speed camera, then want to let a car into a junction or a pedestrian across, you cant flash your lights for fear of being arrested

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast