+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fourm Moan (had enough) in General; I Have been a member of this fourm for 6 months and in the last 2 months i have not ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fourm Moan (had enough)

I Have been a member of this fourm for 6 months and in the last 2 months i have not been on very much. This is due to a couple of reasons 1). work is getting me down and am having to get a union involved getting very messy. 2) The lack of understanding of some people on this fourm. Yes i do have dyslixa i also have Mears Irlen Syndrome and osteoarthritis in both of my knees but I get off my a$$ every day strugle getting to work i suffer with a lot of pain. But i do not want sympathy but what i would like is a bit of understanding. People who have etheir dyslixca or Mears Irlen Syndrome but if you have Mears Irlen Syndrome you tend to have dyslixca. I do not chose to be like this and my partner gets annoyed with me for asking how to spell things every two seconds. The second thing is spell checks are great but dont help most dyslixics due to the way we spell. ie which witch. now when i am typing i dont always get it right. spell cheackers are useless so i dont use them. also with Mears Irlen Syndrome you get rivers http://www.irlencentralengland.co.uk/symp&dis.html. Due to the fact i cant change the backgroung colour of the fourm i am stuck with it.also cleartype has made it worse. This post will take me a while to type due to this fact. It does not mean i am thick Stupid Daft Of just dont bother. Most people with dylexica have a high IQ one of the causes of it is due to your brain working faster than your hands. Here are two websites I hope these help people understand the problems I have to cope with every day.
    http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/forums/
    http://www.irlencentralengland.co.uk/
    but just because i have these issues it does not mean i dont have feelings. usually when i post late at night they are worse than during the day. i hope this clears some things up.

(time taken 40mins times asked mrs for spelling too many to count any one who finds issues with this post can take a hike and go bury your head)

Thank Post

Re: Fourm Moan (had enough)

I don't think anyone will find issue with this post, quite on the contrary in fact.

I think a number of people on this forum suffer with dyslexia. My network manager has problems that I won't go into (he doesn't know I post here and probably won't appreciate me talking about him).

I personally was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome (not something I tend to advertise to people, this thread will probably involve the largest amount of people that now know). This is a mild form of autism and has quite a few side effects, as does everything.

I also had a very mild form of tourettes (for those who don't know what that is you can google it ), but that has within the last couple of months gone away with help from medication.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are indeed a number of people that suffer with varying levels of dyslexia on this forum ... and some who have come to terms with it reasonably well.

I was lucky to have help with a 'difficulty' in my last year at primary school by a teacher who realised I wasn't lazy ... I just struggled with words ... and I was shown a number of handy techniques to get me around some of the problems.

It wasn't until I was in the army that I was diagnosed formerly and 'labelled'. My form means that I struggle with symbology, in particular duplicate symbols in different places or by symbol substitution (it means I struggle to read music and have a tendency to want to replace individual letters rather than whole words).

Don't let things get you down about other people's comments ... it tends to be from a lack of understanding or the need to be a pedant. Thankfully I can type faster than I write so it means that things have improved for me since I started using computers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Please don't get down as been said fair numbers of us in the same boat small point the colour is something we hope to remedy in version 2.0 of the website...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I like some other people was discovered at a late age 23 to be precise and this was due to the fact that my boss had it that was ten years ago. what annoys me most is the fact that this is a ict fourm built around schools and so we as ict techs have to have more understanding than most. ok i cant spell well i have dyslixia reading this fourm gives me a headache due to the colours (not there fault they are working on it) but what i have done rebuilt a 2003 server from scratch rebuilt a school network from scatch and helped people on this fourm where i can with what i know. but that does not stop a small number of people making comment. If i was in your school would you tell me to carry a dictionary with me. ( i do all day) but again no good if you dont know how it spelt in the first place. just bought a acer 530n and the great thing about palms is they help spell for you.(even on the net) Thanks for the support people who have posted. (try using ie7 150% mag and see the probs it causes lol. like i said its understanding not sympathy and i know most people do but some dont. (look at my last few posts on this four if you want proof.

Thank Post

@alonebfg: It is disgraceful when people show such a lack of understanding and it has caused offense to other members who would like to remain nameless. Rest assured actions have been taken.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I have to admit I have been quite a bit naughty in the past and have not told people about my dyslexia. They tend to find out when I have to hand write a note on a post it note. I am lucky at the moment that my boss is quite understanding about it. Chin up alonebfg, try not to let it get to you too much.

Thank Post

Anyone who has issues with this sort of thing are the people with the problem, not you. I've had at least two people working for me with dyslexia and associated problems, and I've never had a problem with them. It's just another thing life throws at people, and something that can be ignored or worked around... doesn't affect the quality of work, or the ability to do it, at all. As you say, one of my techs (who sadly has left), was a highly motivated, intelligent guy who I defended as if it was me!

Thank Post

Did I miss something on the forums? I assume someone has been making snide comments about it?

Thank Post

Somebody said to me the other day that there seems to be more people with dyslexia these days. My response was "no, there isnt. We're just better at diagnosing it".

Schools have improved dramatically over the past few year. My fiancee was only diagnosed with dyslexia when she got to uni. Her school told her she was stupid and would only get a handful of GCSEs, she got 10 A-C's. and has since added a BSc, PGCE and MA to her name (literally). She actually informed me that Richard Branson is dyslexic, when he gives a speech or presentation, he learns it line for line, word for word, because reading off an auto-cue / prompter is very difficult for him. People like him prove dyslexia doesnt stop you being successful

Because schools are now better at diagnosing dyslexia and are not labelling people as stupid, non-dyslexics like me are more likely to know somebody with dyslexia, which make us more understanding. I know this won't help your current situation alonebfg, but hopefully nobody else will have to go though what yourself and others have been though / going through in the future.

Keep your chin up, by the sounds of it work is quite stressful at the moment, glad to hear you have a supportive wife at home, even if she does get annoyed (i must admit i do to when my missus asks me for spellings....... where's the emoticon for ashamed? ). I'm sure you are already looking for another job, hopefully something will turn up for you.

Keep faith with the forum, sometimes people say things that can be mis-read, or about something they dont realise will offend. It's by meeting people with things like dyslexia that teaches us. As for the colours, they're hoping to fix that, but differnt people have different colours they see best in. We have a pupil we had to write a script for to turn everything green. My fiancee's sister need everything in claret and blue (i'm sure this is not mutually exclusive to her choice in football team also!), hopefully something where everyone could choose their own...........

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

*resists urge to get out red pen*

...sorry sorry, bad taste.

Out of curiosity what has caused this as I haven't seen anyone making remarks about spelling mistakes etc? As long as you are able to use the correct grammar and write in fully understandable terms I don't think many people would make much of a fuss over some spelling mistakes or phonetically similar words (which/witch etc).

Now if you were typing in "txtspk" it would be a different thing altogether.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Once i get my ict suite built and sorted end of this I hope to sit down and finish of design spec for version 2.0 but it will be either choose own colours or choose from selection of themes I think technicaly it will be last one.

But if we have main theme then several options on colours think that will be the way.

But got to see...

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

alonebfg: I sometimes have to turn to my colleague (webman) to spell check for me even though it must annoy him at times. I sometimes think that i have a mild form of dyslexia as i keep missing out words when i am reading and therefore the sentences do not make sense to me.
    I think i speak for all on the edugeek forum that nobody, but nobody, pulls another person down for having difficulties which others find hard to comprehend. Keep up the good work and your wife needs a big "thank you" for helping you with your posts.

"Non Illegitmi Carborundum" translated means "Never let the b*stards grind you down"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think the Web Developer Toolbar will allow you to add a custom stylesheet, which in turn would allow you to change the colours.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I think the Web Developer Toolbar will allow you to add a custom stylesheet, which in turn would allow you to change the colours.
    Good point. I'm not sure you can get this to remain permanantly though can you?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information