+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fourm Moan (had enough) in General; Originally Posted by alonebfg I Have been a member of this fourm for 6 months and in the last 2 ...
    Thank Post

Re: Fourm Moan (had enough)

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    I Have been a member of this fourm for 6 months and in the last 2 months i have not been on very much. This is due to a couple of reasons 1). work is getting me down and am having to get a union involved getting very messy.
    If you are having problems at work that can really get you down. So much so that it can pervade your whole life.

When you have an illness, disability or impairment you have to try ten times as hard to motivate yourself, especially if you are having a bad time.

You deserve credit for as you say 'getting of your arse', as I imagine that some days it would be a lot easier not to.

The problem is that it is very hard for the ordinary person to understand what it is like to have a long term illness, disability or impairment. Just because you deal with it and adapt does not mean it is no longer there.

All you need is a little understanding and support, which you should get from this forum.

Hope you are getting good advise and support from the unions as well, as some times you need to have someone with clout behind you.

Hope you sort it all out.

Alex

Thank Post

Incidently, if you really struggle to read the colours of the forum (or any webpage) and cant wait for a new version, use Firefox.

Go to Tool --> options. Select the content tab. Click on Colours in the "fonts and colours" panel.

Select your ideal text colour and background colour, also adjust the unvisited / visited links colours as required. Untick "Allow pages to choose their own colours, instead of my selections above". Click ok, ok. Refresh page. Edugeek is now available in whatever psychedelic colours you want it.

Hope this helps.......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not sure _Bat_. If not, I dare say there's an extension that offers permanent per-site style changes though

Thank Post

Another useful tool is GreaseMonkey ( http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/ ). It would be very easy to write a GM script which replaces the stylesheet with one of your own, allowing you to have whatever colour scheme you like.
    I use it for a slightly darker Google...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fourm Moan (had enough)-googledark.jpg  

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Irazmus
    Another useful tool is GreaseMonkey ( http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/ ). It would be very easy to write a GM script which replaces the stylesheet with one of your own, allowing you to have whatever colour scheme you like.
    I use it for a slightly darker Google...
    Are you trying to be environmentally friendly? I read somewhere, that viewing google's webpage in white used x% more power than if it was black! And the say M$ doesnt care about anybody! Google's distroying the planet one search at a time!

Thank Post

I wasn't, but now you mention it, I seem to remember reading something along those lines before.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    Are you trying to be environmentally friendly? I read somewhere, that viewing google's webpage in white used x% more power than if it was black! And the say M$ doesnt care about anybody! Google's distroying the planet one search at a time!
    Only with CRTs. The situation is reversed for TFT monitors.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Only with CRTs. The situation is reversed for TFT monitors.
    The backlight is permanently on for LCDs. Makes no difference as to whether it's black, white or pink with yellow spots.

25% of the planet is still using CRT, and it also applies for plasma.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

grease monkey looks good just got to get my head around trying to write a script for it now.

Thank Post

This will add custom CSS rules to all EduGeek pages, just change the contents of newCSS to the rules you wish to add (or override).

Code:
    // EduGeek CSS Modification
    // version 0.1 BETA!
    // 05-03-2007
    // Released under the GPL license
    // http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
    //
    // --------------------------------------------------------------------
    //
    // This is a Greasemonkey user script.  To install it, you need
    // Greasemonkey 0.3 or later: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
    // Then restart Firefox and revisit this script.
    // Under Tools, there will be a new menu item to "Install User Script".
    // Accept the default configuration and install.
    //
    // To uninstall, go to Tools/Manage User Scripts,
    // select "Access Bar", and click Uninstall.
    //
    // --------------------------------------------------------------------
    //
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name          EduGeek CSS Modification
    // @description   Add custom CSS rules to EduGeek
    // @include       http://*.edugeek.net/*
    // @include       http://edugeek.net/*
    // @version       0.1
    // ==/UserScript==

newCSS = ('p { font-size: large ! important; }');

function addGlobalStyle(css) {
        var head, style;
        head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
        if (!head) { return; }
        style = document.createElement('style');
        style.type = 'text/css';
        style.innerHTML = css;
        head.appendChild(style);
    }

addGlobalStyle(newCSS);

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The situation is reversed for TFT monitors.
    The backlight is permanently on for LCDs. Makes no difference as to whether it's black, white or pink with yellow spots.
    Not quite. When displaying black, the twisted nematic mask has to block the light coming from the backlight. When displaying white, it doesn't have to do anything at all. Doing something obviously requires more power than doing nothing. Granted, it's only a few watts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok sorry to sound daft but i have tried the code you posted and all it seems to have done is make the time on the topics to a larg font ?? ( am not good with css or web design stuff) i tend to use a wuswug web desing program lol.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

you need to correct your spelling and use a spell checker.

*runs*
    *is fat*
    *walks*

Try chucking it into Dreamweaver.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not quite. When displaying black, the twisted nematic mask has to block the light coming from the backlight. When displaying white, it doesn't have to do anything at all. Doing something obviously requires more power than doing nothing. Granted, it's only a few watts.
    As I understand it, the rest position for the crystals means that light doesn't pass through; they have to be twisted in order to let light through. I'm pretty sure that the greatest part of the power used by an LCD monitor is the backlight - the charge needed to rotate the crystals is minute.

If you want to save power then you could try using LED backlights instead of cold cathode fluorescent tubes. I think some LCDs actually do this but if you fancy trying it for yourself then check out http://www.engr.mun.ca/~wakeham/lcd.htm for a DIY idea :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    The lack of understanding of some people on this fourm. Yes i do have dyslixa
    I have only realised that I have Dyslexia once I started helping our local school and had a long talk to the head about my problems with spelling ,words, lack of understanding about use of there, their, were, where etc.
    While I worked as a scientist (now retired ) for 30 years I struggled to get on because of my spellings and maths .

It took me 1 year to get over my fears about joining my first forum,this forum (unfounded fears lol ! ) , once I took the first steps last July 06
    I have joined about 10 technical web sites forums, because I found that I could write first in the 'write' page in my mail browser and then spell check it, cut and then paste it into the forums ( you could use any word processor ) .

Dyslexics have there brain segments in different sizes to the norm we are cr*p at spelling etc. but good with our hands, That seems true with me, I have designed and built my own house brick by brick and could take any car engine to pieces and put it all back again with out manuals.

What would help .

Is there any Free speech to text software ?. so we can just talk into a mic and it would type and automatically spell check it .

"alonebfg" try not to leave the forum and keep your chin up and good luck with work.

Michel.

Ps It took me about 1 hour to write this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information