+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Eye Tests in General; I've noticed over the last twelve months a steady deterioration of my vision. My last sight check was a year ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eye Tests

I've noticed over the last twelve months a steady deterioration of my vision. My last sight check was a year ago and it was fine but I find that I'm now squinting quite badly at small type and have had to increase the size of text on the screen. The wife wears glasses and using hers stops the squinting so it's off to the opticians for me.

My school I think will pay for half of the cost of the eye test, but I'm sure they'll kick up a stink when I ask them for a contribution to the cost of the glasses. Where do I stand as I will only really need to use them for work as at home I use a 24" screen so I don't have a problem?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Under health and safety law as you use VDUs for over 75% of your working day, your work should cover the cost of the eye test and half of the glasses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Under health and safety law as you use VDUs for over 75% of your working day, your work should cover the cost of the eye test and half of the glasses.
    Indeed you are correct - I just claim for the eye test, the glasses I get half back because I pay into the HSA [ Simplyhealth ]
    I have just got a new pair as I was struggling with small print [ taking my glasses off to read it ] - now with my new pair I can finally read and most importantly locate my beer glass.

Thank Post
    Don't even get me started on this! My school paid for the eye test but refuse to contribute. Spoke to my union, and unless they contribute to other members of staff's glasses (which they don't) then the school don't have contribute to yours either!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Really, I wear contacts and pay by monthly DD. This includes the cost of eye tests and the lenses. I've always paid it myself, wonder if i can claim something... im guessing not.

That being said the opticians has a new machine that does a 3d scan thats not included in my monthly plan so comes at an additional cost, maybe i can claim that as an eye test and get money back for that?

Thank Post
    I think that they only have to pay if the glasses are "only for work". If you need them day in, day out, tough. Oh, and we work on 50% of the working day as the threshold.

Correction -
    Free eye tests
    Studies haven't shown a link between VDU use and damage to eyesight, but if you feel that using a VDU screen is making your eyes tired, tell your employer or employee safety representative.
    You have the right to a free eyesight test if you use, or are about to use, a VDU a lot during work hours. You can also get more free tests if recommended by your optician.
    If you are prescribed glasses to help you work with a VDU, your employer must pay for a basic pair of glasses, provided they are needed especially for your work.
    Link - Direct Gov
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 4th January 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Yeah, it's only for work, and most places will make you go to occupational health for a check before you trundle off to the optician. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,462 Posts
    Work pays for the eye test through an eye test voucher, glasses they only have to contribute to if needed specifically for vdu work.

My place tried to tell me I was only able to have a voucher if I hadn't had one in the last 3 eyars or so which is tosh you are entitled to for the period as specified by your optician i.e every 18 months, 12 months etc...

Ben

Thank Post
    I only use my glasses for work and were prescribed just for work, and still my union/head gave the advice.

Thank Post
    So another case of a union being a waste of cash? Go back to your manager with the print out from Direct.Gov I link to above and see what they say.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    So another case of a union being a waste of cash? Go back to your manager with the print out from Direct.Gov I link to above and see what they say.
    I tried that. The Head took me outside and pointed to the sky. "What's that?" he asked.

"The Sun," I replied.

"How far do you want to see?"

Thank Post
    Tried that aswell. Stating the info from the gov, and then he was blaming budgets and cuts etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I think that they only have to pay if the glasses are "only for work". If you need them day in, day out, tough. Oh, and we work on 50% of the working day as the threshold.

Correction - Link - Direct Gov
    Oh i see...

Thank Post
    Mine refund me the cost of the eye test. I don't bother claiming for glasses as I use them at home as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I'm going to attack this one this week, I want them to refund my sight test fees, I'm not bothered about the contribution to the glasses, just the sight test.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast