+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, New Mobile phone in General; Am I right that within reason any Android phone should run any Android app regardless with what the make of ...
    Thank Post
    Am I right that within reason any Android phone should run any Android app regardless with what the make of phone is?

I'm looking at one of the Motorola Defy Android phones (still haven't made my mind up ) as the battery life is so much better than a HTC. What you all think?

Motorola Defy Android smartphone ? reghardware

Thank Post
    The Defy seems to be a budget model (reduced processor speed, old version of Android OS) - unless money is very tight I'd avoid it if you can.

Never believe anything about battery life in any review (unless it comes from me )

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Am I right that within reason any Android phone should run any Android app regardless with what the make of phone is?
    Sort of. Apps which require DRM (e.g. to playback protected content) won't work on all phones because there isn't a universal DRM framework for Android.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/11/13/and...ted-by-design/

You may also come across apps which do not work on specific phones or certain versions of Android. Angry Birds is a good example...

Addressing the issues, Rovio explained that they’ve been unable to bring an optimal gaming experience to each and every Android device. Driving the point home, and to prevent unsuspecting Android users from throwing $0.99 down the drain, the developers listed 17 Android devices that are not officially supported by Angry Birds, including the HTC Dream, the Droid Eris, and the Motorola Backflip. Moreover, the developers caution that devices running an Android OS below version 1.6 are also not supported. (Source)
    Then there are apps like Google Maps v5.0 which will work on any phone running Android 1.6 or newer, but the more advanced features will only work if you have the hardware to take advantage of them.

The minimum requirements for the new Maps will let it run on any phone running Android 1.6 Donut, but features such as the dynamic rendering and map rotation will only work on more advanced hardware—basically, it's gotta be as powerful as the original Motorola Droid, though YMMV. It's a pretty incredible experience, and we can only hope it shows up on other non-Android phones with Google Maps sooner instead of later. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    The Defy seems to be a budget model (reduced processor speed, old version of Android OS) - unless money is very tight I'd avoid it if you can.

Never believe anything about battery life in any review (unless it comes from me )

Si
    The phone will be receiving Android 2.2 soon apparently and the review indicates that the 800Mhz processor seemed to perform fine. The reviewer actually bought the phone and I thing the battery life was one of the reasons. Battery is one of my main concerns as I often work 12 hour shifts and don't always get to somewhere with a power socket.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The phone will be receiving Android 2.2 soon apparently and the review indicates that the 800Mhz processor seemed to perform fine. The reviewer actually bought the phone and I thing the battery life was one of the reasons. Battery is one of my main concerns as I often work 12 hour shifts and don't always get to somewhere with a power socket.
    Don't beleive phone companies when they say soon, wait until it actually happens. In my experiences with HTC, soon means never and they would much preffer you to buy a whole new phone to fix their mistake rather than fixing it for free.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SimpleSi (2nd February 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm looking at one of the Motorola Defy Android phones (still haven't made my mind up ) as the battery life is so much better than a HTC. What you all think?
    Motorola's Atrix looks much better, although it won't be released until Q2 2011.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Motorola's Atrix looks much better, although it won't be released until Q2 2011.

Yeh the Atrix looks pretty cool, I wonder how the battery will last with a dual core processor?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am looking to go from iPhone 4 -> WP7

On a complete side note if you have not voted already please vote for what smart phones you have/use here: What smartphone do you use?
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 3rd February 2011 at 01:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeh the Atrix looks pretty cool, I wonder how the battery will last with a dual core processor?
    If the battery life of the LG Optimus 2X is anything to go by, it's better than some single core Android phones such as the Nexus One.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...-smartphone/15

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123