+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Mobile phone in General; Originally Posted by cookie_monster Any drawbacks to just buying your own rather than being locked into a long contract? HTC ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Any drawbacks to just buying your own rather than being locked into a long contract?

HTC Desire Sim Free Mobile Phone - Mocha: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    You need a data plan, but if you can get by on something like o2 text and web or similar, then no.

In regards to the Desire and Desire HD battery life - the "/init" process can run away with itself and sit at 99% all teh time. You can check this with one of teh many process monitors. To fix it you need to turn on USB debugging.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=cookie_monster;607751]Any drawbacks to just buying your own rather than being locked into a long contract?

I've been looking at this but I don't think it's worth it.

Currently, I have a Virgin SIM which is 10 per month for 300 minutes and 300 texts and 30p per day for internet - if you use internet every day then that would be 20 per month so over 24 months you'd spend 24*20 + 345 or 825.

HTC Desire + Line Rental Discount - at BuyMobilePhones.net has the Desire at 20 per month for 300/300/"unlimited" internet so you get the same deal as I could have if I bought the phone but without the upfront 345 charge.

3. Thanks to srochford from:

cookie_monster (31st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I was wondering about Win Mo 7 as I use a hotmail and a windows live calendar that my family can see for my shifts etc I wondered if those features might be better supported than on Android. The only prob is it's a bit new and will a device I get now receive the new Win Phone 7 update due in the spring?

Decisions, decisions!!!
    I imagine it would get said update, if it's just a Patch/Update oppose to an OS Upgrade. I have just set it up with all my Windows Stuff and it works a treat! (hence me changing Instant Messanging Accounts, Xbox Live Accounts etc.) it all integrates nice now it's great! Outlook (Email on Phone) is fantastic! and the interface is really nice to use! considering when you look at it you think what the hell!!

Market Place dosn't seem to bad to be honest either i've downloaded ton's of free aps... and i'm using my Microsoft Points which i have left over from xbox360 to get the cheaper ones i want.

Thank Post
    Have just moved from Android (HTC Hero) to HTC 7 Mozart and I actually really like it. Mobile 7 really is lovely to use, even if it does feel a little strange at first.

My only complaint is that you dont seem to be able to stop it syncing your Windows Live contacts, which means I got stuck with loads if random e-mail address' in my phone book. Ended up setting up a new account for the phone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    For anyone thinking of getting a smartphone running Windows Phone 7 there's a good comparison here...

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

ZeroHour (3rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Anyone got the Z model with the QWERTY keyboard built in? Just wondering if that might be worth the extra weight when typing emails etc.

Thank Post
    Ive just got a Samsun Galaxy S and i love it, and im paying 30 a month with unlimited texts and internet with tesco!

Thank Post
    How about:

Buy Orange San Francisco Mobile Phone - Grey. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .
    Now only 89.99 (+ Orange 10 Top Up)

Can be unlocked for free, and numerous Android 2.1/2.2 ROMS available from
    ZTE Blade - Blade.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo

and

SIM Card Only Deals - giffgaff
    10 a month PAYG - 250mins, Unlimited Text and Web (Uses O2 Network)

Thank Post
    get the desire HD. Ive got the HD2, which is a great piece of hardware, but unfortunately runs WinMo 6.5. Its not bad, but its not Android. The Desire HD looks like the HD2 but updated a bit and with better OS - I've used the desire a fair bit and really like it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane_Dibbley View Post
    Ive got the HD2, which is a great piece of hardware, but unfortunately runs WinMo 6.5. Its not bad, but its not Android.
    Have a look at this for your HD2 HTC HD2 gets Android 2.2 Froyo and Desire’s 2.1 Sense ROMs [Video] | Android Community depending on how you use your phone it ay be a viable option.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have a look at this for your HD2 HTC HD2 gets Android 2.2 Froyo and Desire’s 2.1 Sense ROMs [Video] | Android Community depending on how you use your phone it ay be a viable option.
    Yeh I've been checking on XDA for months now for this. Seems a bit much for me - you have to dual boot your phone, with Android running off memcard. There still seems to be quite a few bugs too - what I want is an Android ROM that I can put on it and get rid of WinMo completely (although I do actually quite like it - Office mobile etc, plus remote desktop!)

Basically I want a desire HD...

*edit: They have now developed NAND ROMS so you dont have to run it off memory card. Hmmmmm...may be time to break my phone trying it :S
    Last edited by Duane_Dibbley; 5th January 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    get the HTC HD2. Yes it has WinMo 6.5 but it's now possible to flash Android on to it. I've got the Desire Android version on it, and it's simply amazing. A beefy phone with a suitable OS.

**basically what SYNACK said **

Duane: The Cotulla NAND seems the best so far. had a few hiccups but considering it was a first release I'm willing to overlook. Slightly longer to boot than winmo roms but again I can overlook
    Last edited by MK-2; 5th January 2011 at 12:37 PM.

15. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Duane_Dibbley (5th January 2011)

Thank Post
    HTC Desire HD = FTW!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    get the HTC HD2. Yes it has WinMo 6.5 but it's now possible to flash Android on to it. I've got the Desire Android version on it, and it's simply amazing. A beefy phone with a suitable OS.

**basically what SYNACK said **

Duane: The Cotulla NAND seems the best so far. had a few hiccups but considering it was a first release I'm willing to overlook. Slightly longer to boot than winmo roms but again I can overlook
    Just been reading over at XDA...might have to try it on my mates phone first heheh. I've flashed custom WinMo ROMS before, but i'm always a bit wary of bricking the phone so i'll do it to my mates first :P

Thank Post
    @Duane_Dibbley I've done it takes about 10mins to do and theres a Video to show you how! its very Easy, pretty the same way you flash with Custom Roms

If you do use the NAND you need to install "spare Parts-Update1" after as it allows programs to be installed on the SD card.

it can be found here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...date1&page=103
    Last edited by stevenlong1985; 5th January 2011 at 01:10 PM.

19. Thanks to stevenlong1985 from:

Duane_Dibbley (5th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast