+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Mobile Phone woes! in General; Daughters Samsung Genio Touch (no3, one stolen second replacement) has again stopped working or should I say the screen. Half ...
    Thank Post

Mobile Phone woes!

Daughters Samsung Genio Touch (no3, one stolen second replacement) has again stopped working or should I say the screen. Half is working and half works something it shouldnt! Lets just say its like a badly configured smartboard :-(

So two options, its insured but I got to pay the excess, and I'm a bit fed up with sorting out her phone again as I think the design is a bit suspect and not 'teenager' survivable.

Option two, just replace it but have another 8 months left on the contract. Did I hear on here that I may be able to get another supplier to buy me out of the current contract and take a new one on with them (inc new phone, she wants a blackberry, I'd be happier as its not a touchscreen!).

Anyone any thoughts on the above, ready to throw this phone through the window at the moment. Never had as much problems with a phone before.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    TechSupp:

I wonder if it is the fact that young people these days suffer from that well known disease called "not taking care of things", don't get me wrong I am not implying anything here but my son and a number of his friends have all had countless phones due to careless use.

I also feel that the companies that design and build these smartphones do not take into consideration the "Teenager" factor and therefore dismiss any type of protection from the elements i.e. dropping, rough handling and water.

Profit before practicality is their motto I feel.

If teenagers were to be offered the practical phones which we used to have like the Nokias which had the rubber covers they would throw a fit yet they would last a lifetime even in the teens hands.

I would think another provider would allow you to move contracts but only if it involved an upgrade to a more costly one, can highly recommend the Blackberry Bold 9700 (No touch screen) the latest is the touch and this has touch screen but also querty keyboard underneath (slide top).

Thank Post
    Phones4U are the one i used to buy out mine and my wife's

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    We have an ancient Motorla V220 (like this MOTOROLA V220 MOBILE FLIP PHONE on eBay ) in the drawer - works perfectly and this is the reserve for broken phones. It was made clear to my 2 that we bought the first phone and that, unless one was requested for a birthday or Christmas, that was it. If it breaks and they can't replace it, there's the V220 in the drawer. It's only been used once

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    ...I also feel that the companies that design and build these smartphones do not take into consideration the "Teenager" factor and therefore dismiss any type of protection from the elements i.e. dropping, rough handling and water...
    I believe Motorola has released one with this in mind, the DEFY. Just not sure how much it is...

-Ken

Thank Post
    My 16 year old sister managed to drop her Android phone in the bath not long after getting it. I also lent the family my old laptop and after a few weeks it's missing the Z key, caused by my sister! So I agree with the teenage clumsiness factor - however my 15 year old brother seems to be pretty good at keeping his gadgets in working condition.

Thank Post
    Would you believe it, after deciding to just use the insurance and get a replacement and just wait the contract out, just before contacting them, thought I'd best just turn it on in case they want me to do any of the checks I had already done, guess what....now works just fine!!!!!! Daught has it now and ist still working! Anyway did a defaults reset and have the code for a full facory reset if it goes do lally again! Yes I agree, its the teenager factor as I have a HTC Desire and no problems at all, in fact never had a problem with any phone I've had. Agree they just dont look after stuff these days and same as elsigee40 I have her first mobile on standby as a replacement if all else fails and hers cannot be replaced. Would love to swap the phone but not prepared to pay anymore than what I am so an upgrade at the moment is out of the question.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread