+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, bah humbug in General; ...
    Thank Post

bah humbug

why does everything go wrong round christmas, im not feeling well havnt felt well for the last couple of days, blocked noise, headaches and a cough, got up yesterday and contemplated not going into work, however after my shower i felt 100x better so i got ready jumped in the car drove 300yards, puff of white smoke out the back(couldnt see out the back window), and the engine stalls. Luckily i managed to get it out of the way of traffic.

Turns out the engine had decided to eat all the oil, suspect one of the piston rings shattered allowing oil into the engine, probably from siezing up with the cold weather

Since i didnt make it into work(the boss was very understanding), i spent the day looking at new cars since i think the fix would reqiure an engine rebuild and it may have destroyed the Cat aswell, bringing the garage fix to about £1000, other option is to buy a new/used engine and drop it in for about £300 and do the work myself.

any ideas? car is a 2002 Corsa C 1.2

Thank Post
    Know nothing about cars mate, but I do know that it's horrible when your car breaks. Feel for you mate, and hope you get sorted one way or another quickly and cheaply.

Thank Post
    aye, heres hoping, im sure that the prices on cars must have went up, when i originally bought the corsa i could get a focus for around £1500 (2002-3) now i cant find one under £2300.

been thinking of replacing the car with one of these:

Focus 1.6
    Mazda 3
    Astra 1.7

since the Corsa is broke i might aswell get something a bit faster/newer, looked at insurance last night too and for a 1.6 its about £40 more a year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    aye, heres hoping, im sure that the prices on cars must have went up, when i originally bought the corsa i could get a focus for around £1500 (2002-3) now i cant find one under £2300.

been thinking of replacing the car with one of these:

Focus 1.6
    Mazda 3
    Astra 1.7

since the Corsa is broke i might aswell get something a bit faster/newer, looked at insurance last night too and for a 1.6 its about £40 more a year.
    I have an Astra 1.7 cdti, and I love it. It's got the poke I need, and copes great when loading the car up to the roof with camping gear. Just gotten back from the metro centre this morning and it's manic, but would rather do that 10 times over than go through what you are going through lol.

I'm quite fancying the new shape Civic, in a 05/06 plate, but it's just a pipe dream haha. Maybe in another 5 years I'll get one.

5. Thanks to Hightower from:

Flakes (22nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Similar fun here.

Cold last week, flu this week (but at least I'm on holiday ).

Car already at garage being fixed

Thank Post
    I can't believe I'm going to say this but out of the 3 I'd go for the Vaux *shudder*

Another option to look at may be a 306 HDI. Not bad poke for what it is, and quite good on fuel. *whats going on, I've recommended a Vaux and a French car in a single post, I must be getting old*
    Last edited by j17sparky; 22nd December 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    If you've got the kit, space and time to do the engine swap it's a cheaper way out but I wouldn't fancy it in this weather! Don't think it's worth spending 1k on tbh as you won't see the money back when selling on.

Not too keen on the look of the 02-03 shape Astras myself but can vouch for the Focus... had one a few years back and it's a very laid back easy going motor. Handles well and eats up miles on the A-road \ motorway. Some stupid plastic parts in it that broke on mine but I bought it cheap as a high-miler so if you get one in good nick you should be fine.

The 1.6 isn't going to give much excitement acceleration-wise as they're more geared for comfort than speed. The ZR I replaced it with is much more revvy but doesn't like the long drives as much as it sits high up the rev range at 70pmh... solution turn the stereo up so I can't hear it :P

Thank Post
    My car got rear ended last week at a roundabout, it looks like it may well be a write off as it's 11 years old now. Thankfully no one was injured, just all a bit shaken up. The other driver claimed full responsibility and their insurance company has taken my car away and given me a courtesy car. It's annoying though as I have a new car on order but it won't be here till April, wonder if I can keep the courtesy car till then ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    The ZR I replaced it with is much more revvy but doesn't like the long drives as much as it sits high up the rev range at 70pmh... solution turn the stereo up so I can't hear it :P
    Owner - I can hear a rattling noise coming from my car
    Mechanic - You obviously havn't got your stereo turned up enough

My cars the same, motorway speeds see you at 3500-4000rpm which over a long distance can be annoying especially when eth engine is right behind you, but then so are the speakers

rad
    Thank Post
    teejay - buy a banger and run that, get one with t+t then sell on to a new driver. I did till I found the right car.

I am ill today, just glad its the holiday

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    Must be lucky - Nissan Almera 1.4, MOT just passed - £90 in total inc MOT, tyre and a bulb, runs lovely

Thank Post
    tbh i think im leaning towards the Focus its the fastest of the three and the milage is a good compromise between the 1.2 and 1.8 engine equivalents. I had a good look at the astras unfortunately there a bit too sluggish for my liking 13s to 60 in the CDTI, my Corsa was just over 11sec to 60, the focus 1.6 around 10sec. I know looking at the 0-60 time isnt the best way to choose a car, so i also took into account he MPG and common faults. Im slightly put off the focus because the instrument panels on them tend to fail, or the speed sensor needs replaced.

Tbh the best car spec wise for a good speed/mpg balance is probably a toyota Yaris(not the 1.0 version), or a citreon C3 but i cant stand the look of either :/
    Last edited by Flakes; 23rd December 2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammer/spelling

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,659 Posts
    I've got a 1.6 Focus and love it... or will do when it gets back from surgery today. Another driver cut a corner too finely and remodelled the bumper for me; I was stationary at the time. TBH the scrape down the side of their car was worse than the damage to mine, but hey someone else admitted liability and their insurer is paying.

I've got a Peugeot 107 as a courtesy car while the Focus is in. The ride is not good, the engine is noisy and it's coping brilliantly in the snow. I was very impressed with it getting me up a steep hill in a sudden blizzard last weekend. We did it at 5 mph diagonally, but it got me home!

It makes me quite nostalgic for the first car in my life - a 1970 mini van; very basic, but does everything that's asked of it and, as long as the snow's not too deep, it's brilliant!

Thank Post
    Just to Update, ive bought a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, its the First Gen of the new shape, 54000 miles on the clock, very nice ride, very comfortable pleased with it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread