+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, To all idiot drivers in the snow in General; When you are go to your car in the morning and clear the snow please consider the following: 1) You ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries

Angry To all idiot drivers in the snow

When you are go to your car in the morning and clear the snow please consider the following:

1) You are not a tank commander and require more visibility than a small square of windscreen in front of your face.

2) Your headlights and indicators are not powerful enough penetrate a thick layer of snow, please clear these.

3) Please bother to spend the extra couple of minutes to clear thick layers of snow off areas other than your windows. I do not like to be driving on the dual carriage to find myself engulfed in a blizzard of snow flying off your roof and bonnet.

2. Thanks to sparkeh from:

stevenlong1985 (22nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    When you are go to your car in the morning and clear the snow please consider the following:

1) You are not a tank commander and require more visibility than a small square of windscreen in front of your face.

2) Your headlights and indicators are not powerful enough penetrate a thick layer of snow, please clear these.

3) Please bother to spend the extra couple of minutes to clear thick layers of snow off areas other than your windows. I do not like to be driving on the dual carriage to find myself engulfed in a blizzard of snow flying off your roof and bonnet.
    3) Maybe you're driving a little too close then if this affects you

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And my current personal favorite. If you are driving on perfectly clear roads, and all of the other traffic is doing 30mph and NOT skidding OR crashing AND braking normally then you do not have to drive at 5mph holding everyone else up. And when I do eventually overtake you, you should NOT gesticulate as if I am some kind of mad person or what I am doing is dangerous. It's not. You are.
    This is dedicated to the driver yesterday who drove so slowly through a right hand filter light, that it was on green when I went through behind them, the light had time to go to red and the traffic coming from the other direction began to set off whilst I was still making the turn!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    3) Maybe you're driving a little too close then if this affects you
    Or someone overtakes and pulls in too close in front of me obscuring my view with the snowstorm coming off their roof?
    Last edited by sparkeh; 22nd December 2010 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    I wish that the police would pull over a few of these such drivers for a "quiet word" (or three)!

mb

Thank Post
    Was on the news last night that police are starting to pull these people over now and issue fines and points for not clearing snow off their roofs.

Apparently there have been "alot" of accidents involving snow coming down off the roof over the windscreen under breaking and therefore causing that person to crash and people behinde them to crash.

I personally think its fair enough, if you cant be bothered to have your car in a road worthy condition then you shouldnt be on the road, or at least given a lesson.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Was on the news last night that police are starting to pull these people over now and issue fines and points for not clearing snow off their roofs.

Apparently there have been "alot" of accidents involving snow coming down off the roof over the windscreen under breaking and therefore causing that person to crash and people behinde them to crash.

I personally think its fair enough, if you cant be bothered to have your car in a road worthy condition then you shouldnt be on the road, or at least given a lesson.
    I believe the charge they are using is one of driving with an unsecured load.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    I believe the charge they are using is one of driving with an unsecured load.
    They dont need to - its in the Highway code that you need to remove snow from your roof and bonnet before setting off on journey - rule number 229 i think it said.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can some one tell me the best way of clearing snow off the roof with out damaging the paint work? I clear it so I am only left with a thin layer then I am stuck.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned this in another thread, last year's heavy snow I witnessed someone brake hard at lights (without skidding which was an achievement!) only for the snow on the roof (now sitting on a layer of water as the heat from inside the car has started to melt it) to slide and fire like a shell at the poor old man crossing the road. Near as damn knocked him off his feet...

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    They dont need to - its in the Highway code that you need to remove snow from your roof and bonnet before setting off on journey - rule number 229 i think it said.
    It's a rule and a code not the law. It also says 'check your route is clear of delays...' You won't end up in court if you don't.

EDIT:
    It also tells you to drive with 'courtesy'. That would have 8/10 drivers in court daily.
    Last edited by creese; 22nd December 2010 at 10:19 AM.

13. Thanks to creese from:

SimpleSi (22nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Can some one tell me the best way of clearing snow off the roof with out damaging the paint work? I clear it so I am only left with a thin layer then I am stuck.
    I think you're fine with that. IIRC the limit is 2", but I might be mistaken (not that I ever am as I constantly tell the missus!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    It also tells you to drive with 'courtesy'. That would have 8/10 drivers in court daily.
    That's generous

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    TBH I leave a thin layer, it isn't worth the extra hassle getting it all off and that very small amount isn't going to harm anyone, it will melt when it warms up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    It's a rule and a code not the law. It also says 'check your route is clear of delays...' You won't end up in court if you don't.

EDIT:
    From what I remember the snow off the roof 'rule' is also a law - they do you under driving an unfit vehicle, or some such - I'll ask my traffic cop mate.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast