+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Silver Surfers in General; Are a sight to behold at the best of times. I was over the moon to help one of my ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Silver Surfers

Are a sight to behold at the best of times. I was over the moon to help one of my schools with a silver surfer club (which was already established, but was intrigued by it's promise and especially that the kids (junior school!) were actively helping out.
    I've helped a lot of people in my time over all sorts of age ranges, and recently caught up with a couple of local friends by accident. "Hi, not heard from you for ages!"
    The chap and his lady friend were in sheltered accommodation (separately) and loved keeping up with their family abroad, and got so far into IT that it was a joy to see them go from novice to near guru! Anyway - it turns out they both got A+ qualified last year - at ages 86 and 82 respectively!

No real point to this post other than something "nice" for the festive season. And that I've just been watching Eastenders where their resident IT expert is none other than the venerable Dot Cotton!

Thank Post
    Wow, A+ certified in their 80s! Great to hear stories like that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    That's lovely -

Thank Post
    My grandma rocks. She's 72 now. When i wanna sell things on amazon or ebay, i give it to her.
    She's just got a new Nikon DSLR and photoshop.
    And this all started about 6 years ago when she ordered a new one and the company got the billing address and shipping address the wrong way around. She lived about 100 miles away from me then. I was going to build it (components ordered) and take it as i was due a visit anyway. By the time i'd got there, she'd built it, installed the O/S, antivirus, dial up, etc and there was nothing left for me to do!
    She talked to her sister, who is 3 years her junior on skype with the webcam all the time, she lives 150 miles away so that's grand.
    She now helps out locally with people with IT problems (a lot in the area are of the senior years) and escalates them to me when she can't resolve it!
    I'm so proud. She also helped me bleed the brakes on the mini and strip down the cylinder head. She rocks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    My grandma rocks. She's 72 now. When i wanna sell things on amazon or ebay, i give it to her.
    She's just got a new Nikon DSLR and photoshop.
    And this all started about 6 years ago when she ordered a new one and the company got the billing address and shipping address the wrong way around. She lived about 100 miles away from me then. I was going to build it (components ordered) and take it as i was due a visit anyway. By the time i'd got there, she'd built it, installed the O/S, antivirus, dial up, etc and there was nothing left for me to do!
    She talked to her sister, who is 3 years her junior on skype with the webcam all the time, she lives 150 miles away so that's grand.
    She now helps out locally with people with IT problems (a lot in the area are of the senior years) and escalates them to me when she can't resolve it!
    I'm so proud. She also helped me bleed the brakes on the mini and strip down the cylinder head. She rocks.
    Thats an uber-gran! Can she make good Yorkshire puds though?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread