+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Home Wireless Channel? Which one? in General; No problem leave it with me and I will get answers for next week for you, I will work on ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No problem leave it with me and I will get answers for next week for you, I will work on the price point with Ruckus as I apprecite this is for the home.

If others are keen then please let me know either via this thread or alternativly mark.power@net-ctrl.com, this will help with the price conversation with Ruckus.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok so the options available from Ruckus are really only the 7300 range of access points, they have not got an interest in producing home market ap's for many reasons which relate mainly to detracting from what they do well which is looking after the business market.

Price support would only really be down to us as resellers unless the numbers are large enough.

Sorry not the answer I had hoped but at least honest and a quick reply.

email me directly mark.power@net-ctrl.com if you need a price for a 7300 ap and I will see what I can do, although I think this will be a little to pricey still for the home.

Thank Post
    Thanks for at least looking in to it Mark, probably out of my price range and justifyability factor with the wife! Thanks anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a problem and your welcome

Happy New Year to you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The last time I looked, the simultaneous dual-band NetGear WNDR3700 was a popular choice because it's fast and supports alternative firmwares such as DD-WRT. As this is only a router you would either need to use the ADSL modem on your current router or buy something like the Draytek Vigor 120 which would sit between the router and the ADSL line.
    Airport Extreme vs Netgear WNDR3700 Speed Tests - Updated Results - Ars Technica OpenForum

Comparison of Airport Extreme base station vs WNDR3700 - There were a few mentions on other threads that you need to have the airport extreme base station on the latest firmware.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mark, can you pm me with the price for the 7300 range as I may be interestsed in looking at one as a solution at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Comparison of Airport Extreme base station vs WNDR3700.
    That's an interesting comparison, although I suppose ToolBoy is getting good wireless speeds because he lives in the middle of nowhere? In the second set of benchmarks when the WPA2 encryption is turned on, the difference isn't as large between the two, although the Airport Extreme still wins. I wonder what it would be like in an area where all of your neighbours are using 802.11g/n BTHomeHubs? For me, the AE is far too limited in terms of features - no jumbo frame support for the gigabit ethernet ports, no QOS, no web interface (among other things) and the forced reboot after every single change to the settings would drive me crazy.

I quite like the idea of building my own pfSense-based router with a RouterStation Pro board, enclosure and a couple of 802.11n radios & antennas. However, it's hard to tell how much better than an off-the-shelf router this would actually be in terms of throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    WPA2-AES is way more secure and the actual standard, TKIP is an old type and is only included (breaking the WPA2 spec) for a little extra compatibility with old equipment. TKIP is full of holes though so AES is the preferred choice by a long shot.
    Once someone has gained access to your network, it's quite scary what they can do using Backtrack and Armitage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    If you live in a very densley populated area with lots of APs (and get on with your neighbours) ask them if they will turn down the power settings on their APs too.
    Would an external USB wireless adapter with a 2dBi antenna like the BearExtender help in a situation like this?

Thank Post
    no jumbo frame support for the gigabit ethernet ports, no QOS, no web interface (among other things) and the forced reboot after every single change to the settings would drive me crazy.
    1. Does Jumbo Frames make a big difference when connected via gigabit - I presume it does judging by the fact you made the comment.

Apparently the chipset that the AEBS uses does support it but they have not added or done what they need to do to expose it to the user - I presume this would be a firmware issue on the AEBS itself

2. No Web Interface - Both on the Mac and PC you have to use the software / utility to configure it which is a bit of a shame
    3. QOS - From reading around the AEBS does not give priority to any traffic although if you go into the advanced options there are tweaks / work arounds ( from what I have read at least )

Would be good if they could add QOS, Jumbo Frame Support and a Web GUI for those that are a bit geekier then a home user.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 31st December 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Using jumbo frames did help to improve file transfers speeds when I used to have a ReadyNAS. However, this was five years ago and things have probably changed a lot since then? I think I'll have to run some benchmarks to see if they are still worth using at home.

It's good to know about the workarounds for the QOS. It would be great if Apple included a secret advanced mode which gave you a lot more control like the open-source router firmwares do e.g. Tomato and DD-WRT.

Thank Post
    Using jumbo frames did help to improve file transfers speeds when I used to have a ReadyNAS. However, this was five years ago and things have probably changed a lot since then? I think I'll have to run some benchmarks to see if they are still worth using at home.

It's good to know about the workarounds for the QOS. It would be great if Apple included a secret advanced mode which gave you a lot more control like the open-source router firmwares do e.g. Tomato and DD-WRT.
    Will have to have a google around to find the comments posted - think they were from the question / answer section on the AEBS page

Looking around for a min and found this product

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...=80&ProdID=216

This was the link I was talking about ref the advanced options

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/...PJTTTKHUY9XF9P

UK Link below

http://store.apple.com/uk/question/a...HC27DT924F9YKY
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 31st December 2010 at 04:57 PM.

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Arthur (31st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPower View Post
    Plenty of options for Ruckus in the home if anyone is seriously interested :-) :-) :-)
    NOW THAT! I like to hear... Ruckus at home! YES PLEASE

Send me some details if you could please mark, you have my details

Cheers Pal.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    NOW THAT! I like to hear... Ruckus at home! YES PLEASE

Send me some details if you could please mark, you have my details

Cheers Pal.

James.
    Send me details as well please