+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, This may put you off your Bacon Sandwich. in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

This may put you off your Bacon Sandwich.

Thank Post
    Merka - the land of the free

mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,751 Posts
    That would be why I am a vegetarian - I believe we are carnivores but until we treat animals better, and kill them more humanely, I won't be eating meat again

Thank Post
    Yummy, bacon

If people saw how most food is breed/grown/prepared/etc they wouldn't eat anything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Yummy, bacon

If people saw how most food is breed/grown/prepared/etc they wouldn't eat anything.
    Including vegetables and fruit.
    @Witch. Have you ever seen a starving person kill an animal? Humane dosen't come into it. However the desire to lend them a tissue or wet-wipe afterwards does.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I'm a vegetarian now. I had a sausage roll yesterday, but it's not really meat, is it? I mean, there's no animal called a 'sausage'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That would be why I am a vegetarian - I believe we are carnivores but until we treat animals better, and kill them more humanely, I won't be eating meat again
    We get our sausages from a local farmer and they are free range organic pork ones and very nice. Were not obsessive over it but you can taste and tell the difference than the ones from the local supermarket. But as I am from a farming family I understand how it all works and supply and demand.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Including vegetables and fruit.
    @Witch. Have you ever seen a starving person kill an animal? Humane dosen't come into it. However the desire to lend them a tissue or wet-wipe afterwards does.
    If someone is starving and kills an animal - well as I said we are carnivores and that is man against animal - and the man needs the food.
    But we are NOT starving and we do not need to eat nearly as much as we do and we certainly need more humane ways of killing.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    We get our sausages from a local farmer and they are free range organic pork ones and very nice. Were not obsessive over it but you can taste and tell the difference than the ones from the local supermarket. But as I am from a farming family I understand how it all works and supply and demand.
    There are many places that rear animals with care and consideration and those animals have a good quality of life, which is the way it should be. But abattoirs are still inhumane and awful places where animals lose their lives in pain and terror. If you have ever been to an abattoir you will know that those animals know what is coming.

Thank Post
    im probably going to get flamed for this.

I have no problem with it, love my meat.

i do believe its a bit one sided the whole vegetarian thing, the amount of damage pesticides do to the enviroment (and no i dont just mean the pesticides themselves i mean the bugs/small animals they kill), being vegetarian is a bit like saying "Its horrible to kill animals, but its fine aslong as there under a certain size".

10. 2 Thanks to Flakes:

BatchFile (20th December 2010), budgester (20th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe we are carnivores
    Don't wish to be picky but humans certainly are not carnivores (exclusively or near exclusively meat eaters). Unlike carnivores we need different sources of food to get a balanced diet, not just meat.

Thank Post
    Please don't get me started...

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Don't wish to be picky but humans certainly are not carnivores (exclusively or near exclusively meat eaters). Unlike carnivores we need different sources of food to get a balanced diet, not just meat.
    The word you are looking for in omnivore, as far as killing the animals goes I agree with Witch but not enough to become vegitarian.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 20th December 2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    The word you are looking for in omnivore
    Ah well now you have opened up a can of worms
    Are we really omnivores... *clicky*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    If someone is starving and kills an animal - well as I said we are carnivores and that is man against animal - and the man needs the food.
    But we are NOT starving and we do not need to eat nearly as much as we do and we certainly need more humane ways of killing.
    Not saying you are wrong or argueing or anything like that but it's ok for Man kind ( male or female ) to kill animals whether its cows, pigs, chickens etc for food, but as soon as animals kill humans for food or due to territory then we hunt and kill them ie sharks, crocodiles, etc

Regardless of whether the animal in question mistakes us for food, a seal or whatever depending on what said person is doing ie surfing etc

Just to flip the arguement the other way around

Thank Post
    The thing that bugs me with vegetarians is that they fail to see the suffering they also inflict on animals due to crop harvesting, pesticides etc. it's hidden and so no one notices it, whereas a big slab of steak in the super market is obviously a dead animal.

I really wouldn't want to be a family of field mice when the combine harvester comes through....

Intensive farming, I'm totally against, there really is no need for that sort of cruelty, and thats why we have laws in this country, and methods of marking packaging, but then if you think of somewhere like wales there really isn't that many places where you are gonna be able to grow and harvest crops in an easy manner but I have seen sheep in some of the most inaccesable areas.

If you really want to see cramped conditions.... get on a tube in london at rush hour.

Personally I think it's matter of gaining balance, i.e. I like salad in my burger :-) with some chips as well.

I was vegetarian once in my youth, but then couldn't work out where to stop, do I throw away all my leather boots, should I stop using oil based products, get rid of my car, live in a cave, wearing only a handwoven loin cloth ?

I think vegetarianism is pretty much the trendiest form of hypocrisy, lets sort out the injustices and cruelty that is currently being carried out against humans first.

In fact sod it. Lets all get together and hug a tree.

17. Thanks to budgester from:

Jon88 (21st December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast