Poll: How busy is your xmas work?

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Xmas time: how busy are you? in General; Over the years the workload around xmas has varied somewhere depending on where I worked. When I worked in retail, ...

Thank Post

Xmas time: how busy are you?

Over the years the workload around xmas has varied somewhere depending on where I worked.

When I worked in retail, it was obviously rather busy, but in a retail services company, the workload was lower (noone can spare tills etc at their busiest time of the year). In one school the last 2 weeks or so was no stop, others there is little to do except answer the "my dvd doesn't work" and catch up on outstanding old paperwork or jobs that are so non-urgent that they date back to the stone age.

What's it like for you?

Thank Post
    so far today i have installed office on a pc, teachers daughter had forgotten her laptop password so ive reset that, downloaded a vista dvd (i appear to of lost mine) to rebuild the heads own laptop after its decided that the hdd has 0 partitions wish id brought my kindle lol

Thank Post
    It's quiet here. pupils and teachers are on the wind down (We break up a week today), so demands are fairly low. Perhaps I can get a shot at configuring this IAS I've been meaning to do for ages!

Thank Post
    The phone is a lot quieter, as is the helpdesk, and there's less knocks at the door because a lot of the kids are out on enrichment activities. But, I'm off over Christmas so I am using this quiet time to sort out AV. We've not long moved across to Kaspersky, and although it's a blessing compared to Symantec, we have a few machines that are being a pain.

Basically, I'm trying to get all 6 lights green on the overview page, which is not the easiest thing on a network of 300 machines. Once I do, I'm going to screenprint it and then never worry about AV again

Also expecting a couple new projectors today that I want to fit before Christmas. Once this is done I will find the school's PS3 and give COD a good 'testing' in 3D.

So, it's not manic here, but there's plenty of little jobs to be catching up on. Also plenty of time to reply here though too. A nice relaxed atmosphere, but probably more productive than an average day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, ok, ok...I'll pop a quick post in to explain!

I'm so busy that it's gonna be hard to post at all over the coming 10 days!

Firstly, tomorrow, I am going to be stripping out a classroom, of all the ancient ICT equipment, ready for brand spanking new PC's, monitors, etc etc etc to go in. Once in, I shall be spending the rest of the day dragging the image down....Should be able to do all 15 at the same time, and by the time I've got the last one up and running, off WDS, the first one should've completed!

Then, next monday, I will be doing exactly the same thing, but in a classroom of 20 PC's. Ditto all above!

Next Tuesday, I shall be at my wifes' grandmothers funeral....being a rock for my missus....And I wrote ROCK...Nothing else!!

Hopefully, at some point, there will be loads of snow too!!

Oh..and I forgot the wedding, this weekend, which is 150miles away!

Phew...I need a lie down now!!!

Thank Post
    My work week is fairly quiet, but it's a busy/hectic week otherwise.

Cubs final party was monday, had my car broken into (10 worth of stuff stolen, hundreds worth of damage to the driver door they bent out of shape to steal the 10) Yesterday morning was dealing with that, which took all morning, and the wife went away to a work's xmas do.
    Last night I built my new PC and got it fully up and running, it's purring along nicely despite SCAN computers incompetence, and claiming there is no fault with the audio ports on the mobo i sent them for repair, and they sent me back with a 35 bill. I went and bought a PCI sound card which I hate, but at least I have working audio now.

Tonight will be putting my study back together since it's covered in PC boxes/bits/paperwork. Then I might see about some xmas shopping one of the next couple of days.

As to work, I might reimage one of my ICT suites today/tomorrow, and i've got a few niggly little jobs like clean the projector filters, poke a couple of misbehaving laptops etc.

Thank Post
    I find it can be more peaks and troughs at xmas time, teachers tend to do something different like everyone watch films so that causes a big rush of jobs as they fail to operate DVD players etc. Once that has settled down we can just have dead periods.

Thank Post
    This week: Very quiet
    Next week: Manic

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oooOOooo

I also forgot that I went to my son's xmas play, the other night, where they had a full band on stage.

Anyway, the drummer's kit collapsed, and I saw someone get hit on the head by a cymbal.

I went over to treat him, with emergency first aid, but we ended up calling an ambulance, as he had percussion....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread