+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Entry route into having a job in networking? in General; Originally Posted by Brodieeee Hi TheMan100, I left school in 2006, did my NVQ level 1-2-3 as I worked as ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodieeee View Post
    Hi TheMan100,

I left school in 2006, did my NVQ level 1-2-3 as I worked as an apprentice IT technician at a secondary school.

Whilst doing this i gained these qualifications;

#CompTIA A+ - (Part of the apprenticeship)
    #CompTIA Network+ - self studied & took the test at same place i got the apprenticeship
    #MCITP (Part of the apprenticeship)
    #British Sign Language level 1 - Ok i just studied this as an extra bonus to add on my CV for dealing with customers/deaf students or teachers

I also gained loads of experience and confidence whilst doing my apprenticeship (also 3 well known certificates) - Note the bold writing for the main reason why i decided to go down the apprenticeship route. The only problem with being an apprentice is the wage. 400-500 a month is enough for most 16-20 year olds still living at home though

I'm now 19 (20 this month ) and working as an Assistant Network Manager in a different secondary school. I'm really happy with how i've progressed. I wish you all the best mate. If you have any questions or queries feel free to PM me or reply to this.

Brodieeee, welcome to the forum for starters.

I am interested because you have decribed a good deal of my work with apprentices, where are you located and who was your provider for the training? Always worth a mention if they have done a good job.

2. Thanks to GREED from:

Brodieeee (10th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan100 View Post
    Hi, thanks for welcoming me, haha. I'm based in Bedfordshire.
    Tresham College based in Kettering/Wellingbrough/Corby - does the Comptia courses at really good prices and they used to do Microsoft at the wellingbrough campus I took a couple of my microsoft exams there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Brodieeee, welcome to the forum for starters.

I am interested because you have decribed a good deal of my work with apprentices, where are you located and who was your provider for the training? Always worth a mention if they have done a good job.
    Hi Greed,

Thank you for the welcome!

My training took place here - http://www.iteclearntech.co.uk/ it is located in Basildon, Essex.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Greed,

Thank you for the welcome!

My training took place here - http://www.iteclearntech.co.uk/ it is located in Basildon, Essex.
    Thanks. I know AN iTec based in Basingstoke, although probably do the same thing. Were they good for you?

Thank Post
    Thanks. I know AN iTec based in Basingstoke, although probably do the same thing. Were they good for you?
    They were okay, a little bit disorganised at times but i had great support from the staff. Facilities are good, so is the information on hand... it's what you do with that information that's important! Of a class of 30 at level 1 only about 6 remained on till level 3. Madness!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They were okay, a little bit disorganised at times but i had great support from the staff. Facilities are good, so is the information on hand... it's what you do with that information that's important! Of a class of 30 at level 1 only about 6 remained on till level 3. Madness!
    There is a massive issue with decemination of information from the government departments and the qualification authorities to the 'delivers' of the programmes. Independent providers are funded based on the type of qual, number of 'guided learning hours' and other things, and only certain qualification are available for funding at different ages. Couple this with them all changing their minds on what is and isn't funded, and then the government removing most of the funding, providers are being hit hard, so disorganisation is a bit rife at the moment. As long as you got some good skills from it that is what that matters.

Thank Post
    As long as you got some good skills from it that is what that matters.
    My signature says it all!

Thank Post
    I decided to go into IT a couple of years ago. I did the COMPTIA A+ exams by buying a textbook and reading it. So far it has been of no use whatsoever in getting a job, its all about experience. All the jobs I was applying for required at least 1 years experience working in IT, which I didn't have. In the end I got this job through the mother of a friend, and have basically created my job role. I am now moving on to another job elsewhere, but everything I have learned here has been invaluable. An apprenticeship sounds like a great idea, combining the learning and experience.

I think the key thing overall is that you have an interest in IT in general. You have to take at least a certain amount of pleasure from fixing problems, and as a previous post said, you have to be willing and able to follow instructions no matter how tedious and boring.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know from experience that apprenticeship people are moulded to fit how that company does ICT...for example, we had one apprenticeship guy show up for a practical test (as part of the interview process), he went all around the houses to add users to active directory creating all sorts of scripts etc.

Dont get me wrong he was technically able, however doing it through active directory was what I wanted to see. People who over complicate things and "show off" if you will are of no use.

If you want experience yes apprenticeships are good but look for voluntary work also!

Thank Post
    Hi guys, sorry for a slow reply, I really do value all of your comments and I've acknowledged how much experience really is needed, an apprenticeship seems great.
    I've seen some apprenticeships in networking advertised in the newspaper which can be provided by a college nearby, however, I also have a university nearby which I could go on a 3 year course doing networking... what would be the advantages and disadvantages of going to a university rather than a college?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    In this economic climate, and presuming that the apprenticships would be attached to a job, I'd go for that every time - also you would be 'learning on the job' which is the best way IMHO

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, I think I'll just have to see what the future holds and how the economy is. Maybe things will change but I'm seriously considering an apprenticeship now; get paid for learning, gain experience, qualifications and confidence. I think the experience will be especially useful when going for a job

Thank Post
    HI, I have done MS and Cisco quals in the IT field you'll be lucy to get anywhere even a sniff of an interview if you havent got a few years experience so your gonna have get experience from somewhere to back up those vendor certs dude so get yourself some voluntary work maybe, still hasn't worked for me yet though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    HI, I have done MS and Cisco quals in the IT field you'll be lucy to get anywhere even a sniff of an interview if you havent got a few years experience so your gonna have get experience from somewhere to back up those vendor certs dude so get yourself some voluntary work maybe, still hasn't worked for me yet though!
    So I'm guessing you're for apprenticeships then.

Thank Post
    Another +1 for experience over qualifications, I was lucky enough to be able to help out in my own school between lessons and during breaks before being offered a permanent position when I left Year 13. After a year there I secured my current job with only A-Level certifications.

In your shoes, I'd certainly be looking at the apprentiship route over a degree to allow you gain that experience. Another thing to bear in mind is that in a course you'll more often than not be taught how things should work, rather than how they actually work. And in IT there's often something of a void between the two. It's one thing being able to install and troubleshoot in an isolated lab environment, but when doing so in the real world there's often additional factors in play.

Another way to get a feel for things is to make use of Microsoft's virtual Labs here TechNet Virtual Labs These let you use a virtual machine running a Microsoft product for 90 minutes to get a feel things, and while they can't beat having a real server to play with, it's a good way to get a feel of things without the expense of doing so. One thing to bear in mind, although some of the labs may have quite imposing titles, you'll generally find that whichever you pick will present you with a full install of the product in question from where you can do whatever you like. Another advantage is that if you totally trash the machine you can just close the lab and start again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast