+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Becoming an Academy in General; Found out on Friday that we are going to become an Academy. Whilst i fully expect us to continue with ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Becoming an Academy

Found out on Friday that we are going to become an Academy.

Whilst i fully expect us to continue with the SWGfL on the Internet Connectivity side of things I was wondering If there was anything else that I would have to think about apart from the following:

SIMS Support (From LEA or Capita)
    FMS Equivalents (The bursar would like to use something different) & Support
    Internet Connection
    Firewalls
    Filtering
    External IP's/domain name changes for our external services
    Domain Name Changes
    SLA's that go with the services above that require them.

Anything else? I have a vanilla network that I maintain.

Regards, Ben
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 6th December 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Redundencies, ours were announced on friday and its not a good place to be right now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    SIMS Support (From LEA or Capita)
    Do you even have SIMs licensing? We're looking at this, it seams weather or not we held a SIMs licence during the 90s when the school was Grant Maintained could have a major baring on our SIMs licensing cost.

4. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Mr.Ben (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Sims contract, all contracts are cancelled and a new SIMS agreeement setup. About 25k for our school to convert.

FMS, you'll need a new database and staff might need access to both because you'll be doing an end of year. If changing, sort this asap.

Our www/email address didnt change because we stayed LEA supplied internet. LEA still own the address.

6. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Mr.Ben (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Live@Edu and Easymail here for Email, Website is hosted by another company as well.

There are 5 members of SMT with gov.uk accounts provided by the council, but I see it as a good thing that I will have to move them to live@edu.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    FMS Equivalents (The bursar would like to use something different) & Support
    We just converted to an Academy and chose a product called PS Financials to replace FMS. We also took on payroll using SAGE Payroll.

rad
    Thank Post
    We are going to be an Achedemy by the looks of it, a high end one not a "recovering school" one.

Not sure what it means for us, but I am sure of one thing, the council will sting us when we want to renew everything, they have already upped charges on the coming year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by altecsole View Post
    We just converted to an Academy and chose a product called PS Financials to replace FMS. We also took on payroll using SAGE Payroll.
    We've just converted and gone with Resource 32000 from Corero - its a nice product

Thank Post
    We converted on 1st November.
    SWGFL have been very accommodating - I think that they realise that this is the way that things are going. As a result, we have stuck with our existing connection. Email and website hosted elsewhere.

With regard to SIMS, yes we have had to relicence at great expense. Seems like a cash bonanza/licence to print money for Capita - best part of £10000 (primary school) of money which could have been spent on books and other resources - not exactly sure what we get for this princely sum - other than a bloated MIS.

We have stopped using FMS and started using SAGE. Not only was this a good opportunity to start using a decent financial package, but also FMS currently struggles to provide some of the reporting necessary for academies. It is possible, but messy.

We have kept our SLA with our local authority SIMS support team. Our approach to becoming an academy is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". The team in question are both helpful and effective, so why replace them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,624 Posts
    The school where I'm governor converted on 1st December.

While someone earlier mentioned redundancies, we chose not to change and staff employment terms and conditions. The conversion is quite difficult enough without upsetting the staff as well.

The school was a foundation school, so the staff were already employed directly and not by the LA
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 6th December 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    We all got our p45s and reemployed by the school under the same conditions.

3 were not reemployed (school decided they were not needed regardless of academy status) and 1 not replaced (trying to save money).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The school where I'm governor converted on 1st December.

While someone earlier mentioned redundancies, we chose not to change and staff employment terms and conditions. The conversion is quite difficult enough without upsetting the staff as well.

The school was a foundation school, so the staff were already employed directly and not by the LA
    That is very much the same situation here, so hopefully the process won't be too painful

Thank Post
    Hi
    You will need a new installation of sims. Capita will need to be paid. Think we had to pay around 18000
    I would start planning it now it's a good time to clean up your data. Lots of things to think about regards who has access to old sims data. The old data no longer belongs to you it's the property of you LA. PM me if you like went throuh it in setp 2009
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    We all got our p45s and reemployed by the school under the same conditions.

3 were not reemployed (school decided they were not needed regardless of academy status) and 1 not replaced (trying to save money).
    Surely TUPE should have been applied? And, since you have to be Outstanding to become an Academy, they can't use the Organisational part of an ETO reason to make you redundant. Not allowed to make you redundant under TUPE simply to save money. Do you not have unions in your school? Good case for unfair dismissal there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a quick point about domain names ... the LA do *not* own them, the school does. You get your domain name based on the specified region you are in (eg school.northants.sch.uk) and these are generally applied for on your behalf by the LA.

To make use of it as an academy you need to find a registrar you are going to use, find a DNS supplier (can be the same, can be the new ISP, etc) and ask them to request the tags are moved from the incumbent holder to the new holder. If you are doing a complete name change you can even approach Nominet about changing your domain name (but still keep the old one to aid/support transition to the academy).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast