+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Facebook stupidity in General; Why is the average Facebook user wielding an IQ well under the 3 figure mark. Most of them are gullible ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries

Facebook stupidity

Why is the average Facebook user wielding an IQ well under the 3 figure mark. Most of them are gullible enough anyway "Post this to your profile to see what happens in this amusing video!" and worse "Become a fan of this to see who's stalking you!" but the most recent one is just classic.

As most will have noticed, there's been a cartoon thing going around - apparently to "raise awareness of child abuse" we've been asked to change profile pics to that of our favourite cartoon from childhood. Of course on it's own it does no good, so I added bits to say don't just do that, donate as well. For instance, my last few eBay sales put 10% each in their direction. Not much maybe, but it's no skin off my nose.
    This isn't a recent thing, it's been done before but not on this scale.

Now, today some absolute moron has decided to post that this whole fad was started by a paedophile ring as they are more likely to get kids to add them as friends if they have cartoon pictures. That may or may not be true, however HOW GULLIBLE HAVE YOU GOT TO BE TO BELIEVE THAT.

It's simply not true. There is no source cited, and never will be. Some people post to their profile that it was on "the news" - what news station that is I have no idea, because there is no citations anywhere.

I'll tell you exactly where it started - of course there are trolls on the internet, and if you know your "memes" then you'll probably be aware of "Pedobear". Someone has used that as an excuse to start dodgy rumours. Trolls will be trolls will be children. It's a joke to them, I don't personally mind - it's not hurting anyone and it's far tamer than anything Frankie Boyle will spout.

Nnngh, sorry bit of a rant there. The gullibility of these people shocks me. I had to explain "pedobear" to my own mother as a result but not to worry!

Some things to point out as a result of my rant.
    1. No, I'm not a paedophile, even though I will continue to show my profile picture of Button Moon. I like Button Moon.
    2. It doesn't matter what some people are saying about it - continue to do it. More to the point though, does it raise awareness about child abuse? Probably not. But if it means a couple more people donate a few pounds, it's worth it. Donation will do more than nothing though, so dip into your pockets, whether it's an online donation or passing a charity worker in the street.
    3. Yes, this is a "fad" in itself - if you don't want to do it, don't. But the same goes for everything on facebook - just because your mother, daughter, uncle or best friend's brother says something doesn't make it true. They've probably just copied and pasted it from a long line of sheeple who also have no clue.

I feel better now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My argument with these things is rather than changing a picture, why not donate instead?

I already have 3 donations of 2 a month set up for the following

NSPCC
    Cancer Research UK
    Luton and Dunstable Neo Natal Ward

Only reason for those is I have been affected by each charity at some point in my life for the better.

This is just peoples classic case of slactivism!!!

Slacktivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia < for reference

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it is. Never-the-less, it's good fun. I for one have much enjoyed remembering some classic kid's cartoons as a result, but without the status it's absolutely meaningless. And the message itself is meaningless without doing something about it - i.e. donation of your time and/or money. I don't do charity too much myself, however when something comes up that touches me, I'll go for it. Friend of mine ran the Great North Run for Prostate cancer, so I donated. Movember was the same thing again, so donated to a couple of friends that got involved. I have kids, and there's nothing that I hate more than the idea of child abuse. It's good to remember these causes and donate as appropriate. I think properly organised this sort of thing could be a genuinely good fund-raiser, particularly if done during the likes of Children in Need.

Thank Post
    I had to shake my head when my daughter told me of the change your picture on your profile thing. Though she had done something good, but tried to tell her the reallity is that it made no difference at all unless people as mentioned follow it up with a donation etc. but as usual its just a feel good factor thats empty. Its about raising awareness she said....no its not...its about doing something that makes a difference, putting your hand in your pocket not changing a picture and feeling better! Totally agree with Synaesthesia. Wasnt there some 'stars' a week or so ago that were stopping posting on Facebook to raise awareness or something? Would have been better off just digging into their pockets and doing something solid. Slaktivism! Perfect!

Thank Post
    This is one area though where raising awareness is just as important as raising money. If one person on Facebook by doing this actually gets round to reporting a child they're concerned about and that child gets saved from an abusive situation, then it's all worthwhile.

Thank Post
    Couldn't be bothered to click to change my pic. Too much hassle. Thank god I have my passwords stored in an addon or i would never log in. Same for this site. Gettin real lazy. Surprised myself typing this. Charity is good though. There will always be those who are gullible online, from the "send this message to everyone you know and hotmail will donate a pound to charity" rubbish to the newer versions on facebook. Magicians is a funny film i love those two guys, its on now, ITV1.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Cartoon Profile Pictures On Facebook To Fight Child Abuse - Geekosystem

It originally had nothing to do with child abuse, paedophiles, or anything else whatsoever - it was just a fun meme that become distorted due to the usual "Chinese Whispers" method by which these things spread.

8. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

buzzard (6th December 2010), stevenlong1985 (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    i think its fun having all these old cartoon pics, gone for D&D myself

Thank Post
    Mighty mouse here lol
    Well we sponsor a child all the time. Have done for years.
    We sponsor them until they are adult then get a new one to sponsor. On our 5th child now.
    We pay for meds, schooling etc.
    What do do though is we decided to not have much (any) contact with the child as we do not want to change (detrimentally) their development.
    They must become who they are not what we want.
    Alan

Thank Post
    Well, if nothing else, it has got three forums that I read talking about it, so maybe it has done some good of itself.

Oh, Foamy. If you don't know Foamy, DON'T look at work!

Thank Post
    Is Foamy like Goatsy?

(Something else NOT to look up whilst at work)

Thank Post
    No. He's a squirrel with a really bad attitude and a human girl that does rude things for money. To say he's opinionated, is to understate things somewhat!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Couldn't be bothered to click to change my pic. Too much hassle. Thank god I have my passwords stored in an addon or i would never log in. Same for this site. Gettin real lazy. Surprised myself typing this. Charity is good though. There will always be those who are gullible online, from the "send this message to everyone you know and hotmail will donate a pound to charity" rubbish to the newer versions on facebook. Magicians is a funny film i love those two guys, its on now, ITV1.
    Time for some Prozac, fella - you're sounding like Eeyore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really not sure what the issue is here. People will be thinking about this subject, and feeling more inclined to act. You can be guaranteed that NSPCC will see an increase in donations from this, as it is effectively a free advertising campaign! It will also make people take an interest and heighten their thinking about child protection and maybe a child will be helped by all this.

Anyone complaining about it simply needs to think it through. And the Daily Mail can shove their 'the NSPCC didn't create this' article where the sun doesn't shine, as the NSPCC have clearly said they didn't create it but are thanking people for doing it on the own official NSPCC page!

16. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

john (6th December 2010), mac_shinobi (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My only complaint is the chinese whispers syndrome making sheeple believe it was started by a paedophile ring. It's the same sort of syndrome that causes people to believe that homoeopathy works.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 6th December 2010 at 01:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast