+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Ruckus Smart Antennas May Be Key to Nationwide Wi-Fi - wired.com in General; Ruckus Smart Antennas May Be Key to Nationwide Wi-Fi | Epicenter| Wired.com...
    Thank Post

Ruckus Smart Antennas May Be Key to Nationwide Wi-Fi - wired.com

2. 5 Thanks to gibbo_ap:

john (2nd December 2010), localzuk (2nd December 2010), MarkPower (2nd December 2010), powdarrmonkey (2nd December 2010), stevenlong1985 (2nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this you beat me to posting about this :-)

This is impressive about the wifi and enchances what we have been saying, but come on lets say the best bit really is the desk with all the circuit boards pinned to it :-) :-)

4. Thanks to MarkPower from:

stevenlong1985 (2nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Confirms what most of us Ruckus customers already believe - that Ruckus technology is the best out there. I am sitting here watching the use of my wireless network grow day by day as teachers cotton on to its existence, reliability and power. The head is now talking about buying laptops in for the kids too - an idea that was laughed at only a few years ago because it had been tried in the early 2000's with a couple of cheap wireless APs and 32 laptops and had been a disaster.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also confirms that no one got fired for buying Cisco or HP!! I believed Ruckus to be the best technology but my line manager did not believe them able to provide the support of Cisco or HP. He then went on to create the purchase order behind my back and buy the 65,000 HP system rather than the 40,000 Ruckus.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Also confirms that no one got fired for buying Cisco or HP!! I believed Ruckus to be the best technology but my line manager did not believe them able to provide the support of Cisco or HP. He then went on to create the purchase order behind my back and buy the 65,000 HP system rather than the 40,000 Ruckus.
    That's a shame, 1.5x the money for half the system.
    Last edited by localzuk; 2nd December 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: double system

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No it is about a quarter of the system!! We have had so many hiccup with it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Certainly makes for some interesting reading, it’s something we (in partnership with our sister company TJames Telecoms) have been undertaking quite recently as it happens- There is now full WiFi coverage throughout Wallingford Town Centre and several other key areas throughout the town.

With regard to access the council went for quite an interesting approach (which to my mind will become increasingly prevalent in these type of installations) with free WiFi access for up to 15 minutes for all users then switching clients to a chargeable service with various payment options for short and long term usage. This coupled with offering local businesses an option to subscribe if proving to be a useful additional revenue stream.

The beauty of Ruckus for this type of system is the Flexmaster management system allowing remote management and monitoring of the system at all times. This coupled with the large coverage per AP means the council has got a highly reliable and customisable system with very good RoI. Looking to the future the nice thing about Ruckus is the scalability available giving the council the option to expand the coverage throughout the town and act as an ISP to residents.

If anyone would like to see some further information about this check out the Youtube videos for Wallingford WiFi or drop me a line.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank Post
    The only issues I see, is companies, councils and parties who take up this option will not have a strong enough internet link to sustain it.

Business prices on connections is extortionately high compared to home. What my school currently pays for a 2mb line is probably 5-10 times what I pay for 20mb at home, and my uptime at home is as good as it is here easily.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    The only issues I see, is companies, councils and parties who take up this option will not have a strong enough internet link to sustain it.

Business prices on connections is extortionately high compared to home. What my school currently pays for a 2mb line is probably 5-10 times what I pay for 20mb at home, and my uptime at home is as good as it is here easily.
    Contention, upload speeds, support etc... all differ between home and business lines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread