+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Learning Something New: AutoCad 2010 in General; So I've decided to learn something new in between OU modules. I recently received an email from the AutoCad developer ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Learning Something New: AutoCad 2010

So I've decided to learn something new in between OU modules. I recently received an email from the AutoCad developer telling me about Student editions.

One download later and I have AutoCad 2010 on my school machine and want to learn how to use it. I appreciate it is difficult but does anyone have any .pdf files or useful tutorial websites with 'Getting Started' guides on there?

If not I'll get Googling but thought I'd ask here.

Maybe a school out there has some department/student notes they give out to their pupils - a Moodle course?

I want to throw myself in at the deep end and model the school as a floor plan and then build it up into a 3d representation. :-)

Many thanks

Gareth

Thank Post
    I'm also a garden designer and I use and teach a program called Vectorworks. Its a close competitor to Autocad in some disciplines and appeals more to people who have to buy it itself rather than use a companies due to it being cheaper albeit still very expensive. I personally think that Autocad and/or many of its users have not moved on from what it was doing 10 years back, but that is just my opinion based on having to work with autocad drawings sent from surveyors and architects.

What I will say is that a commercial CAD package, such as Autocad and Vectorworks is not something best learned from tutorials. The learning curve is very steep and often there will be glazing of the eyes following by eureka moments. Best way to learn is a real project followed by another and another and years of experience. I've been using Vectorworks for about 6 years and I know people using it far longer - we are people that use it daily and are still finding new things. It probably took me about six months to a year of very regular use before I was competent enough to use it as my primary design tool and even longer to be able to use it for tasks needing acute spacial and proportional awareness, which the good old soft pencil and tracing paper still reigns strong. 3D is yet another steep learning curve - don't let the apparent simplicity of Google Sketchup fool you - it is not a solids modeller so is a bit of a one trick pony. Real CAD and 3D take an enormous amount of time to get to the stage of being commercially useful rather than just an alternative to pen and paper.

Good luck. Go find your self a good project and get an early grasp of layers, standards and paper space.

Some of my early CAD work.
    Last edited by ianh64; 1st December 2010 at 02:31 PM.

3. Thanks to ianh64 from:

garethedmondson (2nd December 2010)

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I managed to teach myself 2D AutoCad over 10 years ago. Well enough to work for 3 design companies. I then took C&G course to polish my skills. 3D is a different matter. 2D took me a while and I also had a partner we was employed and could answer my queries.

5. Thanks to creese from:

Thank Post
    I used to be a CAD draughtsman using AutoCAD but it was version 14 and LT98 so a while back. Did all the C&G courses and ended up working for a short while for a building services software developer doing a small bit of development and support. AutoCAD is not too bad to get used to and as said, just find the basic commands and start trying to draw a project, then just reseatch the bits you need to do as they arise. Dont do what I did which was read the manual from fron to back when I started (sad I know if you saw the version 10 manual!). I can still use it when needed and comes in uite usefull for all sorts of DIY and home improvement jobs. Get 2D fimly sorted first then attempt 3D.

7. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Thank Post
    The beginning of the "learning curve" is actually vertical, and once you learn to turn the vertical lines back into curves it should get easier (was that a bit forced?) I've never really got very far into Auto CAD or Turbo CAD; it may be because I trained as a pen & paper draughtsman, and can't get the old ways out of my head. Really must try again someday.

9. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your comments. All taken on board. I've looked at VectorWorks and the website - due to the amount of free training material on that site I think I shall be moving to this program and not AutoCad. My cousin is an architect and he uses AutoCad but he couldn't recommend any training materials either. I think I'll look at compman.co.uk

@ianh64 - thanks for your comments. Nice coolwall examples there. A bit out of my league but who knows. If I stick at it.... as for 'layers, standards and paper space' - are the layers the same idea as photoshop? standards - are these standards and conventions I should follow? Paper space - phew - I assume it's trying to fit it all on a piece of paper - or screen. If wrong - I look forward to being enlightened :-)

@creese - thanks for your comments.

@techsupp - a floor plan is the first idea. One of my house to start with before hopefully turning it into 3D. It will take a while but this is the major project.

@andrew_c - thanks also for your comments. I knew a guy called Andrew Clover once - not you is it?

Cheers everyone,

Gareth

Thank Post
    @ianh64 - thanks for your comments. Nice coolwall examples there. A bit out of my league but who knows. If I stick at it.... as for 'layers, standards and paper space' - are the layers the same idea as photoshop? standards - are these standards and conventions I should follow? Paper space - phew - I assume it's trying to fit it all on a piece of paper - or screen. If wrong - I look forward to being enlightened :-)

PaperSpace! Forgotten all about that! Dont bother with it, it just leads to more confussion and really only comes into its own whe you are dealing with different scales on the same drawing. There are other things you can do to avaoid using it yet still have diferent scales.

@techsupp - a floor plan is the first idea. One of my house to start with before hopefully turning it into 3D. It will take a while but this is the major project.
    A good project to start with, got mine on CAD now as I needed to plan out floor layouts for tiles etc.

Dont dismiss AutoCad, tride TurboCAD myself and could not get on with it. As for training documents a quick google found these :AutoCAD Tutorials for free, Lessons, Videos - a Complete Course

12. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Thank Post
    Layers are similar to Photoshop. It's something like walls, electrics, plumbing, furniture all having their own layer which can be switched of and on, fozen or thawed to enable easier working.

14. Thanks to creese from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @TechSupp - thanks for the link. I hadn't gotten around to searching yet. Just going through the research of which application to use.

@creese - yes I'm used to working with layers in photoshop.

My ultimate aim is to make a walk through version of my house.

Gareth

Thank Post
    You can get by in AutoCad with just a few tools, understanding what they do is half the battle. There are several ways of doing the samething. I learned in 11 or 12 and went to work with 13. People who had worked with earlier versions use different methods to me but mine were just as quick. Using the correct type of line, poly or single where to use snaps and objects all come with experience. Starting off with an ambitious project like you are is a good idea IMHO, just remember save frequently and have plenty of saved stages in case you mess up and need to jump back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gareth one thing, our D&T Head states that you are actually not allowed to install student editions at school and its only for private personal use and not educational use without a license so you may be in breach having it on a school pc. I have not read the terms myself but he had been itching to get it on his PC and we asked him to check when he came back all sad panda. I dont want to sound like I am poo-pooing you, just more a fyi

Thank Post
    My 30 day trial ran out and I don't have valid email address to download the students version. I would love to keep my hand in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    @andrew_c - thanks also for your comments. I knew a guy called Andrew Clover once - not you is it?
    Nope, not me!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Gareth one thing, our D&T Head states that you are actually not allowed to install student editions at school and its only for private personal use and not educational use without a license so you may be in breach having it on a school pc. I have not read the terms myself but he had been itching to get it on his PC and we asked him to check when he came back all sad panda. I dont want to sound like I am poo-pooing you, just more a fyi
    I think that only applies if you're using it to teach. I think for learning personally it's okay. At least that's how I understand it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    I think that only applies if you're using it to teach. I think for learning personally it's okay. At least that's how I understand it.
    I honestly am not sure tbh since he read it and was all sad panda so I took his word for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread