+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Okay, if it snows...... in General; Originally Posted by IanT it took me 5hours and 15mins to get home last night, took me 30mins getting in ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    it took me 5hours and 15mins to get home last night, took me 30mins getting in this morning, we've had to close because too many staff have rang in.

Me and the head were on reception taking the calls!, i live 10miles from work, if I can get in they can it in is my view.
    A view you are well entitled to

My only point would be if that became your school policy, and in a paniced effort to drive into work a member of staff has a bad accident, I am not sure I would be too happy with SMT, and SMT should not be feeling too great either.

BTW, this should not be taken as a point to now argue 'well, they could have an accident any time that is not our fault...' etc etc, I am not placing blame, I am not for essentially telling staff to take risks they don't feel they can handle when in charge of a 2 tonne hulk of metal!

Oh, this is not directed at you IanT by the way, it is a general comment!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Surely its all a matter of direction? For example, if I head ten miles East from work I'm in the Peaks and there is no chance of anyone living there coming in. But ten miles west of school and the roads are fine.
    10 miles south of me is the Isle of Whight!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    We have a telephone tree that starts with me calling the HT at 6am to describe the view from my frontdoor (I live closest to school) closely followed by a text to the secretary to put her on alert

She calls the Bursar, Deputy Head and Head of Pre-School and they call their lists to assess who can get in. I usually get the call to update the website, twiiter and radio stations within half an hour.

Today is definite closure. We don't have a ski tow between our buildings and the steep hill has turned into the Cresta Run!

My teenagers are very pigged off as their schools seem to be the only ones open in the town and the journey is walkable!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    We have a telephone tree that starts with me calling the HT at 6am to describe the view from my frontdoor (I live closest to school) closely followed by a text to the secretary to put her on alert
    Someone should get these guys Snow Business - World Leaders in Artificial Snow and Winter Effects to do a job on your front garden in mid June so everyone can have a day off.

Gloucestershire seems to be a virtually snow proof vortex at the moment. Apart from a tiny dusting we're had nothing.

5. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

elsiegee40 (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm amazed by the 'if I can get in they can' attitude of people not just on here but in general. Many people can't get their cars out of their own streets during really prolonged periods of snow and/or ice; for the same reason cabs can't be used; bus and train services are cancelled. My own school takes the reasonable view that you should do everything you can do to get in, but if you're unable to you are expected to stay in contact and work at home if at all possible.

Thank Post
    and also can really depends what road you live on, in your town. if you live on a relatively main road you may be able to get your car out, we live on a cul-de-sac (not gritted) which is on a hill, i challenge anyone to get a car out of here at the moment!

Thank Post
    BBC News - Q&A: Snow chaos and your rights

heres bbc take on this issue

Thank Post
    Another interesting snippet from the BBC ...

Another area where there is a clash is travel. Often during heavy snow only "essential travel" is advised. The DfE regards travelling to school as essential and says both staff and pupils should try to do so safely
    BBC News - Why do schools shut when it snows?

Thank Post
    Just to be clear here, ter is no legal recourse not to go to work when it snows, unless you have it in your contract, or the management have decided to shut the school.

If the powers that be have done neither of the above, you should be able to take a days hols, or a day unpaid. If you have a right b*******d of a boss they might try and discipline you for not attending your workplace, and if worst came to the worst you could show you made reasanable efforts you'd probably wim at tribuneral (if it got that far).

However, if you don't turn up to work, you are legally in breach of contract, unless you fullfilla criteria for not turning in (being sick, on hold etc). Bad weather, as far as I know, is not an accepted criteria.

As with all things comman sense should prevail, but as it's not that comman sometimes it doesn't!!

Thank Post
    Darn this double post train technology
    Last edited by Drummer_Boy; 1st December 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Virgin train wiFi!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy View Post

If the powers that be have done neither of the above, you should be able to take a days hols, or a day unpaid. If you have a right b*******d of a boss they might try and discipline you for not attending your workplace, and if worst came to the worst you could show you made reasanable efforts you'd probably wim at tribuneral (if it got that far).
    if your boss is that much of a idiot, then lie and call in sick the onus is on them to prove you weren't sick, and is quite plausable given the cold weather, if you don't pull sickies all the time you should be fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Just a quick comment to throw in - would you still expect the plumber to arrive at your house to mend your boiler? Or would you accept that the snow is too dangerous for his astra van?
    And, more to the point, how would you feel if you still had to pay him for the repair? 8-)

Thank Post
    My road at present is like a giant ice rink.. it is drivable as long as you dont go over 5mph!
    This does not stop the morons "whizzing" past at 30mph, or getting irritated cos they are stuck behind me!

I slide round bends with ease (so far I have had a near miss with almost everthing and someone who then slipped into a $profanity loop..

the "main road" isn't gritted - its only clear cos of cars driving thru it - so i'm driving on frozen, compacted slush!

Given that I have a young family - I would much prefer to be alive and face up to a disciplinary panel, than dead!!

I will do my best to work from home - plenty of processes and procedures, etc that can be written up... - but thats not always easy when yiou havea 3yo wanting to build a snowman and have snowball fights..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by castaway View Post
    And, more to the point, how would you feel if you still had to pay him for the repair? 8-)
    plumbers are generally self employed and if not, still effectively to the customer, i.e. you pay a price for a job, not a salary/ most school techs/nm are on salary and as such its a totally different ball game, at the same time we aren't going to get paid any more for working quicker.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    My road at present is like a giant ice rink.. it is drivable as long as you dont go over 5mph!
    This does not stop the morons "whizzing" past at 30mph, or getting irritated cos they are stuck behind me!

I slide round bends with ease (so far I have had a near miss with almost everthing and someone who then slipped into a $profanity loop..

the "main road" isn't gritted - its only clear cos of cars driving thru it - so i'm driving on frozen, compacted slush!

Given that I have a young family - I would much prefer to be alive and face up to a disciplinary panel, than dead!!

I will do my best to work from home - plenty of processes and procedures, etc that can be written up... - but thats not always easy when yiou havea 3yo wanting to build a snowman and have snowball fights..
    I hear all that, and I agree with you. In my case it's a 13 month old who's feeling very cuddly and wants continual contact as she has (possibly) flu and a barking cough.

I had a tit stuck behind me today - doing 30 into a hairpin, in second..he was an inch off my bumper..sigh.

Made a slight boob in the carpark..hit the throttle instead of the brake, and I've embedded the bumper in the flowerbed..heh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234