+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Okay, if it snows...... in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 Yes BUT Someone turns up claiming to be a teacher from another school closed due to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Yes BUT

Someone turns up claiming to be a teacher from another school closed due to snow.
    HT at local school doesn't know this person from Adam.
    HT has no means of double-checking because the other school is closed.
    The HT would be breaching Safeguarding rules by letting this person come into contact with children.
    It should be possible though if they were to turn up with an Enhanced CRB in their hand, less than two years old supplied by the same LA, plus documentary evidence that they were that person, plus photo id to confirm their likeness.

I produce the contracts in our school and I've never seen a paragraph about working in the nearest school in the event of school closure, though I do believe this used to be the 'accepted' case. Think it disappeared long, long ago!

I'm not in school today, though it is open. I have a sick OH at home and an even sicker parent in hospital 90 miles away whom I was hoping to go and visit. Some hope - the main roads are gridlocked as far as I can tell from listening to the traffic reports.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Wasn't that also when teachers were employees of the LEA rather than the school. Many staff now work directly for a school or academy and are not employed by the LEA as such.
    The vast majority are still employed by the LEA though. Academies are relatively few in number...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The vast majority are still employed by the LEA though. Academies are relatively few in number...
    But there are still quite a few ex-GM, Foundation Schools who are the employer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the source for your "vast majority" claim. It's certainly not the case in many of the schools round here.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also consider that a school may be closed in the interests of pupil safety. You will turn up to the nearest school just to find they are closed too due to no kids. Those who have got in won't be doing lessons as the rest of the class will be left behind.

I am surprised with the heavy snow we had in London that the transport has kept running. Seems National Rail and TFL were well prepared this time round. Will be fun getting home by car though, roads were bad enough this morning!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Additionally, schools I have worked in or with where they have closed, often expect support staff (as well as teaching staff in some cases) to still come in even if the school is closed to pupils...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Additionally, schools I have worked in or with where they have closed, often expect support staff (as well as teaching staff in some cases) to still come in even if the school is closed to pupils...
    For a single day of closure, the normal practice is those who can safely get in should do so, which basically means anyone within say 1-2 miles, maybe closer, and that is still dependant on the exact conditions out. Expecting a staff member to do a 3-4 hour journey when in most of these cases, the schools close up completely by lunchtime if the school is officially closed.
    If it's multiple days of closure, it's a fair chance the site agents won't even open up the 2nd day, so no point in trying to get in.

In the end, most teachers presented with a random day at home in the middle of a teaching week will catch up on lesson planning or other paperchasing exercises, so it's rarely a wasted day. Just the nature of most teachers i've ever met, they never quite stop (until about the 4th alcoholic drink, then they REALLY let go!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I am surprised with the heavy snow we had in London that the transport has kept running. Seems National Rail and TFL were well prepared this time round. Will be fun getting home by car though, roads were bad enough this morning!
    Just taken my daughter two and a half hours to drive from Epsom to Streatham. Still, at least she did manage to visit her Gran in hospital, which is more than I did today! Have to try again tomorrow.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Took me 3 hours going half the distance the other way. Deathtrap roads and huge queues, nearly abandoned the car and walked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    The real problem is the individual employers/schools. The bottom line is that by saying you will be docked pay or loose holiday is indirecly bullying people into going into work. Some people cannot afford to loose pay, and so feel they have no option but to rick their lives (and lets be fair, January this year is was risking lives). The employer has no issue with this, and if they get hurt they turn round and say 'we didn't force them in'. Where you live has nothing to do with it. I live 4 miles from work, walkable yes, but last January I would have ended up with broken limbs after 1 miles I would promise you. The country is not set up yet to deal with heavy icy conditions (unlike most of northan Europe!), but it seems to be catering for business rather than public safety.
    +1 for the danger aspect of walking to work.

Thank Post
    Just a quick comment to throw in - would you still expect the plumber to arrive at your house to mend your boiler? Or would you accept that the snow is too dangerous for his astra van?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Just a quick comment to throw in - would you still expect the plumber to arrive at your house to mend your boiler? Or would you accept that the snow is too dangerous for his astra van?
    A very good point. Although in January that was exactly the case plumbers couldn't come out! In Portsmouth anyways.

I go back to my point above though, why are staff expected to still come in even when the school is closed, and I am talking mostly about support staff here, in my experience?

Thank Post
    Our school is shut today, I'm not expected in although I did text the office manager to see if I was required to go in as I live quite close.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    it took me 5hours and 15mins to get home last night, took me 30mins getting in this morning, we've had to close because too many staff have rang in.

Me and the head were on reception taking the calls!, i live 10miles from work, if I can get in they can it in is my view.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Astravans (astras in general) can take it..heh. All of mine have laughed at snow, even without any aids.

Mother-in-law chickened out yesterday for childcare citing "5 inches of snow"..we had about an inch tops. Plus more overnight. Jem walked to work, I stayed home and spent my first full day alone with daughter. Good times!

MIL drives a Kia Soul..always saying how good it is, how well it handles etc..yet snow can stop it? I don't buy it. Jem's taken the day off today working remotely so I can come in today, then she doesn't work thurs/fri, so we'll be OK until next week now.

I have a boot containing autosocks, a blanket etc..so far, 1 wheelspin. Untreated school carpark!

I have the only car out there with a blue fleece blanket covering the windscreen, and front doors. Heh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast