+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Okay, if it snows...... in General; Originally Posted by GREED I loved reports from Finland last January, saying how they live 24/7 with snow it is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I loved reports from Finland last January, saying how they live 24/7 with snow it is a way of life for them, and telling us how rubbish we are with it... which is 100% spot on!
    Thats part of it though isn't it they have it 24/7 and have to cope with it snow seems to be getting more prevelant in the uk now but you'd think it hardly ever snowed going by peoples reactions to it.

Ben

2. Thanks to plexer from:

GREED (30th November 2010)

Thank Post
    You wouldn't think it was beyond the wit of man to set up a system whereby in the event of snow, storms, plagues of frogs, or whatever, teachers and support staff would go to their nearest school and provide a level of cover there. Interesting "on the hoof" lessons for the kids, pay for the staff, fewer cars on the road, everyone happy. Just a thought...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    You wouldn't think it was beyond the wit of man to set up a system whereby in the event of snow, storms, plagues of frogs, or whatever, teachers and support staff would go to their nearest school and provide a level of cover there. Interesting "on the hoof" lessons for the kids, pay for the staff, fewer cars on the road, everyone happy. Just a thought...
    Isn't that what they are actually supposed to do? I'm sure its part of school contracts that you are supposed to go to your nearest school...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Awesome, I would only need to walk to the next road to the primary school there. I am sure their network needs some massive upgrading!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Isn't that what they are actually supposed to do? I'm sure its part of school contracts that you are supposed to go to your nearest school...
    i think they were talking about setting something like that up in sheffield and the teachers unions were dead against it iirc
    there is also the crb and related issues if the 1st time you see a teacher is when its snowing how do you know its them and not joe bloggs?

Thank Post
    My journey to work is always the same - I can carefully get out of my village without too much issue on to the main roads and then everything is fine until I reach the small town where the school is. Then it's just an ice rink with no roads gritted, including the slight hill where the school actually sits. It's just enough of a hill to make it a toboggan run when ice has been covered in snow and then it freezes again.

As to the driving 25 miles to work, which is what I do, the reason is very simple; I need the job. If there were employment opportunities where I live then I would have applied for them. There aren't so both my wife and I have to travel in opposite directions and we can't afford to move house even if we could find jobs in the same town.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's in all national teacher contracts so I've been told, and has been for decades.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah, that's in all national teacher contracts so I've been told, and has been for decades.
    It's a great idea in principle

Thank Post
    "I'm off to do some handbrake turns in the estate........"

:-) That was me in the staff carpark at 7am yesterday while it was empty... the joy of having a 4-whell drive Jap car.

Gary

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Yes BUT

Someone turns up claiming to be a teacher from another school closed due to snow.
    HT at local school doesn't know this person from Adam.
    HT has no means of double-checking because the other school is closed.
    The HT would be breaching Safeguarding rules by letting this person come into contact with children.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I am sure their network needs some massive upgrading!
    Think outside the box. What else could you do with primary kids? Snow angels? A spot of maths? In many ways, true EduGeeks might not be much use as we wouldn't necessarily know the systems/passwords etc, but I'm sure that there is something we could all do for the odd day here and there to ensure that those kids that do get in are safe, and learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    teachers unions were dead against it iirc - there is also the crb and related issues ?
    I suppose that they want the snow-days... CRB etc would have to be dealt with in advance, which means some inter school or county level cooperation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Think outside the box. What else could you do with primary kids? Snow angels? A spot of maths? In many ways, true EduGeeks might not be much use as we wouldn't necessarily know the systems/passwords etc, but I'm sure that there is something we could all do for the odd day here and there to ensure that those kids that do get in are safe, and learn something.
    I could do that with my 16-18 learners, I don't need to go to the local primary for that!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yep, my mum and dad were both teachers before they retired and always used to do this in heavy snow. This was before the days of Safeguarding and Ofsted though.

Thank Post
    Last xmas I didn't go into work one of the days it snowed, despite the school being open. I live on a residential road, but it's the main bus route for the town.
    The buses hadn't run down it for 3 days, and we hadn't seen a gritting lorry at all. The road and the footpath was just a sheet of ice, so if I had tried to get the car off the driveway, I'd have just slipped straight across the road, right into the parked cars opposite.
    That would then have blocked the road no doubt, and with the idiots around me, most likely got side swiped by someone driving without clearing the windscreen while smoking a cigarette and retuning their radio and turning up the Subs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Yep, my mum and dad were both teachers before they retired and always used to do this in heavy snow. This was before the days of Safeguarding and Ofsted though.
    Wasn't that also when teachers were employees of the LEA rather than the school. Many staff now work directly for a school or academy and are not employed by the LEA as such.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast