+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Snow. Is anyone else thinking along the same lines? in General; I think it's an age thing because whereas everyone is going "whoopee, if it snows I get a day off", ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries

Snow. Is anyone else thinking along the same lines?

I think it's an age thing because whereas everyone is going "whoopee, if it snows I get a day off", I'm thinking "no, I don't want it to snow because it's a pain in the a$$ and you just end up playing catchup and running around like a lunatic when you do get back to work because of it".

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I'm with you mate, I dont want snow because I am in the middle of getting a 30 room building up and running! any delay or anything will have a big knock on effect for me!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And the BBC are useless. Their website says light snow tonight in our part of the world, whereas their weatheridiot on the local news said to expect blizzard conditions, with a fair dumping of snow. I have a 25 mile commute so some accurate information would be a tiny bit useful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    I grew up in North Yorkshire and never once got a day off school for snow, despite it snowing a lot.

Snow to me means inconvenience; before going to school, having to clear the drive with my sister and then joining the other kids on our road to dig through the drift left by the plough across the end of the road...

I enjoy the beauty of snowy landscapes as an adult... but, practically, snow is still a PITA!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I think it's an age thing because whereas everyone is going "whoopee, if it snows I get a day off", I'm thinking "no, I don't want it to snow because it's a pain in the a$$ and you just end up playing catchup and running around like a lunatic when you do get back to work because of it".
    I tend to look forward to the prospect of snow closures only because it allows me to get things done that I can't get done on normal school days.

I have been working for in schools supporting their networks for more than 15 years. In that time I have never not been able to get in due to snow [or any other adverse weather conditions] but there has been many a closure in that time.

Thank Post
    Snow is...

... looking out of the window at 6.15am and heading straight downstairs to boot up my PC; texting the HT while making coffee; doing the various web and radio updates; breakfast, warm clothes and a trudge to school to answer the phones because our secretary lives in the most likely place to be snowed under in Kent (and I live nearest); being shouted at by parents who've driven for 2 hours and are still 5 miles from school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    elsiegee40:

Why is it your responsibility to text the HT and then walk into school?

Surely this must be the responsibility of the HT and then the HT should be texting you to put the information on the website and the secretaries job to setup answer machine which gives information to parents before they set off to the school.

Sounds a little disjointed to me or lax by the HT not fulfilling his/her role and responsibility!

DHT at our school e-mails webman and he updates the website to reflect information then a central e-mail goes out to all staff reflecting the decision made by the SLT all before anyone sets off for work.

Phone system also reflects by the receptionist ringing school and through the digital keyboard sets up answer machine to reflect the state of play.

Takes 5 mins and doesn't put anyone out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yeah, plus you get calls if you can't make it in but someone else does......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Snow for me is a pain as your right work builds up, and after todays chaotic day it is rather busy again

For me though its a pain getting in, its a 1 mile trip back to the main road and its all up-hill and I struggle to get up it and the risk is if I do get up, when I get back its freezing again after a day of melting snow and its all down large hills thus car + brakes + icy hill (going down it) = Car potentially in wall and 10ft drop into Field below edge of road.

So from a safety point of view I am far safer doing some limited work at home, I accru plenty of overtime over the year to have a part day at home.

In terms of the fun with snow, if we get a closure its a call around 6am from the Principal sometimes asking the weather to just see what its like (im about the middle of the catchment area one direction) and then a message to put closed on the website and update the telephones, which are usually quite simple as I have a pre-recorded snow message (well did till it was factory reset and I've just remembered that fact now! GRRR so that's going to be a 10 minute job tomorrow morning to re-record and setup if we close), I now also have to text all parents and staff as I'm the key text sender, which is fine and quick and easy which is good news and that should hopefully please many more parents.

Also a quick Facebook update is issued as its amazing how quickly that word spreads as well Shows the power of social networking as within a few mins you get the message to various staff and friends of the school and then it grows from that point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    ...I accru plenty of overtime over the year to have a part day at home...
    Overtime? What's that? [I am not joking]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    elsiegee40:

Why is it your responsibility to text the HT and then walk into school?

Surely this must be the responsibility of the HT and then the HT should be texting you to put the information on the website and the secretaries job to setup answer machine which gives information to parents before they set off to the school.

Sounds a little disjointed to me or lax by the HT not fulfilling his/her role and responsibility!

DHT at our school e-mails webman and he updates the website to reflect information then a central e-mail goes out to all staff reflecting the decision made by the SLT all before anyone sets off for work.

Phone system also reflects by the receptionist ringing school and through the digital keyboard sets up answer machine to reflect the state of play.

Takes 5 mins and doesn't put anyone out.
    I live on the doorstep; Ht lives 10 miles away... I can give the most accurate assessment of what the weather is like close to the school. I'm up at 6.15am every day anyway and the updates are all on my job desc.

HT usuallly makes it in soon after me in her 4 wheel drive. As in most small schools, we all cover for each other in exceptional circumstances (but NOBODY gets my admin password ). Manning the phones isn't a job I relish, but when people are making it in to school in dribs and drabs, I answer the phones... the teaching staff that make it, including the HT, are looking after the kids.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Overtime? What's that? [I am not joking]
    Its a concept where you work more hours than contracted in exchange for additional remuneration, in my case the remuneration is called Time off in Lieu due to limited budgets (or that im too expensive to pay overtime to!). As a result if I need a day off for something I can usually get it sorted based on my attendance at various events in a support capacity such as Prize Giving, Open Evenings, School Shows etc all of which I acrue hours up for and exchange them for days off (not that I usually get them all back) but they are then available for such needs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Work piling up on snow days isnt really an issue here as we rarely have one anyway.
    I'm interested that you can go in when the school is officially closed - we are not allowed to be there

Thank Post
    I can't speak for DaveP, but we've closed to pupils and stayed open for staff who've wanted to clear the decks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I can't speak for DaveP, but we've closed to pupils and stayed open for staff who've wanted to clear the decks.
    A little snow here. Nothing much to speak of. However I am sure we will have some 'casualties' not being able to make it in due to adverse conditions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast