+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ICT Technician rates in General; ...

Thank Post

Question ICT Technician rates

I have seen an ICT Technician job advertised, part time, term time only, 10 hours/week at £9/hr. Looks like their current ICT technician also performs other roles at the school.

Large primary school including early years, in Berkshire.

I guess this equates to about £12k/year for 38 week year.

Thoughts about the rate would be appreciated. The rate is not likely to be negotiable but it would be interesting to know if this is a reasonable rate. The only other rates that I can use for comparison are for ICT Network Manager at around £23-£36k.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I make that a wage of about £17000 if it was full-time - not a bad wage at all for an IT tech in a school

EDIT: By full time I mean 37 hour weeks non-term time.

Thank Post
    Also, I think schools have 13 weeks per year off. 6 x summer, 2 x Xmas, 2 x winter, and 3 x half-terms.

52 - 13 = 39, but I thought people are still entitled to their 22 days holiday or whatever it is, which would mean you get paid for 43 weeks of the year. Could be wrong with that though, just how I understand it.

Thank Post
    It varies dramatically, and I think that like teachers it should be standardised.

I've worked with (and as!) Trainee ICT Technicians at £13,500 per year (52 weeks), ICT Technicians £15,6000 (52 weeks).

Then as Senior ICT Technicians £17,800 (52 weeks), Senior IT Support Officer £21,000 (52 weeks) and now ICT Network Manager at the same grade, but slightly higher than I am now (52 weeks).

I've know Network Managers to go from £16,000 up to £33,000. It varies so much, not only the work you're expected to do, but school to school.

School A may pay a NM £28,000 and have far more expectations on time, work and responsibilities than a school paying an NM £23,000.

I honestly though at least in Birmingham that Single Status would sort all this out. However my current school (Senior IT Support Officer) and my new school (ICT Network Manager) both treat the job as Scale 3, but obviously the NM role has far more direct responsibilities than my Senior job at the moment.

Both jobs are after Single Status.

It's all a mine field, and I really think there should be a national standard. Yes some folks do little for a lot of money, but a lot our colleagues work miracles and are paid peanuts by schools who demand the world from them.

Thank Post
    Thanks all. So £9/hr seems reasonable?

What's 'Single Status'? I come from a commercial environment and we all had to negotiate our own rates. So you could be sitting next to someone doing exactly the same role and being paid a hugely different salary, irrespective of age, experience, performance, gender or favouritism with the management.

I much prefer to be paid according to performance rather than being lumped in the same basket as everyone else. I left my first job because I got promoted to a point where no matter how hard I worked, I could not earn any more simply because I was lumped into a basket marked 'next promotion needs 10 years experience and you only got 3' (the irony was that I was doing a job needing 5 years experience) and yearly increments were fixed simply by virtue of turning up at the office each day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh64 View Post
    Thanks all. So £9/hr seems reasonable?
    That term's open to debate, but it's not below average for the role as described.

What's 'Single Status'? I come from a commercial environment and we all had to negotiate our own rates. So you could be sitting next to someone doing exactly the same role and being paid a hugely different salary, irrespective of age, experience, performance, gender or favouritism with the management.
    It's kind of the opposite - you get paid the standard for your position (with increases every year at a fixed amount) rather than being paid what you work to/can argue for. Technically a fairer system I suppose.

I much prefer to be paid according to performance rather than being lumped in the same basket as everyone else.
    I'm the same way on that one.

I left my first job because I got promoted to a point where no matter how hard I worked, I could not earn any more simply because I was lumped into a basket marked 'next promotion needs 10 years experience and you only got 3' (the irony was that I was doing a job needing 5 years experience) and yearly increments were fixed simply by virtue of turning up at the office each day.
    Unfortunately that's pretty much how it seems to happen in many schools. You get dropped onto a pay scale, and gradually move up the scale over the years. Others probably have more details (and I may be completely wrong).

Thank Post
    9 pound an hour is awful. I am sorry but I.T. people in schools are paid stupid money. Most years you get a simple increment of a hundred if your lucky - enough to pay to get to work with the cost of inflation put in for a few months.

Kinda makes it look like a deskilled profession. I checked out local pay scales for a council near where I live in england and its just crazy.

But OP - 9 is the standard rate roughly across the country it seems. You will never be rich working in a school unless you can play the game and/or enter the teaching profession and play it there as well.
    Last edited by Jiser; 30th November 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Everyone has a different view on what is reasonable. If you are coming in part time just to assist the NM in 'basic' duties then it could be reasonable. 10 hrs a week is not a lot so it could be seen as a chance for someone to earn some 'extra' money. If it was fulltime ie. 37.5 hours a week at £10/hour is £15k gross, definitely puts it below average for an IT Technician. I think IT Technician range is normally £16-22k.

It really depends what you are doing when you are there.

PS Jiser how did you get a job in NYC? That would be awesome!
    Last edited by somabc; 30th November 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    PS Jiser how did you get a job in NYC? That would be awesome!
    So I will write a bit of a description here incase anyone simmilar age to myself wants to do it.

I got a job through the mountbatten programme. They place people in NYC and in london + bangkok in companies/business mainly banks / investment to embassy/law firms and you study towards PGC / MBA + you get your accomdation free. You also get a 13 month VISA.

Its mainly for those 22 - 30 who have a degree and have a year or more 'office' experiance. Its substanially more costly now though for people joining then when I did.

I been working for a Private Bank within a big bank in one of its technology project offices.

Its been awesome though sure, cant moan when ur office overlooks the whole of manhattan. Thats me on the far left.

Last edited by Jiser; 30th November 2010 at 07:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread