+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, A great speech by a school student in protest of the UK government in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

A great speech by a school student in protest of the UK government

2. Thanks to mattx from:

GrumbleDook (29th November 2010)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everybody email, Twitter and Facebook this. I have.

Thank Post
    Nah, I'm not a fan, good speech, good points, but was put off by "We need degrees or we end up in a police uniform" (or words to that effect)... I've got some very well educated very good friends in Police uniform, and in the forces, He's young and ideological but needs some more life experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trying not to be terribly cynical about it ... as the lad is clearly presents well, is eloquent about an issue he is passionate about ... and well versed in particular terms (the solidarity drinking game would be a killer at that event!), but there is also the realism that a number of folk who went to the event were sheep. They wanted a fun lunch-time and a chance to stick it to the man (trying to remember who did the speech about "let's stick it to the man and tell Maggie where to go!") in the same way that has happened in generations before.

I would have been more impressed if there had been ideas about what could be done other than making cuts? If we aren't going to have cuts then where do we get the money from? Would Mum and Dad be happy for him to shout that taxes should be increased instead? And yes ... I know I am being a tad unfair, but in the same way politicians are darned good at propaganda and marketing ... so are many, many others. It works both ways, so if we are trying to loot at politicians and Govt with open eyes, then we should apply that to all groups, including those which selectively edit video of police.

The police van was a good one by the Met though ... in the same way some protestors take part in things they *know* is likely to provoke a reaction, the police applied the same idea. Tit for tat.

Oh well ... back to writing IT stuff.

Thank Post
    They wanted a fun lunch-time and a chance to stick it to the man
    And there was me thinking they wanted to see a reverse of calamity Clegg's 'U' turn and calamity Cameron's cuts. But no, is was just a 'fun lunch time' event - must have missed that news report........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree partly with what Tony says, about there being a need for viable alternatives rather than simple protest, but disagree with it being a fun lunch-time event. Students can at times be a very passionate bunch - I should know, I was one of those passionate protesting students to the extent that it got me in trouble and in the national press. All it takes is a topic that they care dearly about and they'll fight like cats and dogs for it.

The simple fact is that at the moment, there has to be cuts. We've been spending money that isn't there, and now need to pay for that. However, I am one of those who thinks taxes should be increased too. A couple of percent increase across the board would aid the cause nicely. Targetting anything which will slow growth is a bad idea, as it will be counter to the end goal (which is why I'm against the new scheme being suggested for paying for degrees, as it unfairly targets the middle class who will now end up massively in debt and be discouraged from going to university).

Shouting is one thing, but discussion is what we need here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    'fun lunch time' was how a family friend who was there in the kettle described it to me ... and he got detention too, as well as a big pat on the back from Mum & Dad ... and then a clip round the ear when he admitted the same to them ... they were more annoyed about not planning it properly and not doing it based on principles, but some stupid sheep based idiocy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    'fun lunch time' was how a family friend who was there in the kettle described it to me ... and he got detention too, as well as a big pat on the back from Mum & Dad ... and then a clip round the ear when he admitted the same to them ... they were more annoyed about not planning it properly and not doing it based on principles, but some stupid sheep based idiocy.
    You mention principles and planning which is clearly something calamity Clegg's lot no longer have. Not only are they lacking principles and planning, they are lacking a backbone to go along with their 'planning' on not putting up the fees to start with.
    The students protesting have more of a backbone, better principles and far greater planning skills than the oinks running the country now.

However, I am one of those who thinks taxes should be increased too.
    They are in January- [ VAT ], along with inflation, un-employment & energy prices.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    They are in January- [ VAT ], along with inflation, un-employment & energy prices.....
    That they are, but the tax they've chosen is one which people will rebel against by buying less. Targeting income tax would not have that loophole.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That they are, but the tax they've chosen is one which people will rebel against by buying less. Targeting income tax would not have that loophole.
    Which shows the heights of the Con Dem's stupidity.
    Quick joke whilst I'm at it.

What's the capital of Ireland ?
    About 4 Euros.

12. 2 Thanks to mattx:

tech_guy (29th November 2010), TheRedGuy (29th November 2010)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I just snorted a piece of jam doughnut out of my nose!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Thanks, I just snorted a piece of jam doughnut out of my nose!
    Don't forget to put it back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So he thinks the police are uneducated? haha never heard of anything so stupid in my life. I know quite a few police officers, whom have earned degree's in all sorts of fields (biology, physics, art, literature etc) and then joined the force because its something they believe in.

He has said some valid points about the cuts and such like, but as stated before, he lost his "respect" if you will when he said everyone that is uneducated goes into the forces (police, fire, army et al covered by this)...So next time, how about those people don't come to his house when he needs them?

16. Thanks to nephilim from:

TwoZeroAlpha (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I would have been more impressed if there had been ideas about what could be done other than making cuts? If we aren't going to have cuts then where do we get the money from? Would Mum and Dad be happy for him to shout that taxes should be increased instead? And yes ... I know I am being a tad unfair, but in the same way politicians are darned good at propaganda and marketing ... so are many, many others
    these cuts are entirely about propoganda and marketing. Maybe that's the next lesson the students learn.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread