+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Respect in General; Thought I would raise this question as at the moment I am being 'told off' by admin staff for using ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Respect

Thought I would raise this question as at the moment I am being 'told off' by admin staff for using naughty language. That I have apologised to [ well to anyone who complained, none actually straight to me ]
    I have been told by the admin staff that I have to 'respect' the admins etc etc.
    Now I am not sure how others have been bought up in this world but in my book to get respect of anyone you have to earn it first. I certainly would not expect anyone to respect me straight away just because I was an admin etc.
    I don't know the site admins / staff from Adam, so why would I respect them without knowing them ?
    So my question as a general topic is - Do you respect someone just because they tell you so or do you think it has to be earned first ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Respect

Lets put it like this if someone invites you into their house do you go and switch on the tv, go through their draws etc.

If they ask you not to swear in front of their kids you respect that...

As you have took this public will comment you were asked to not to swear by member of the staff you replied no....

If student came into your room at work swore and you asked them not to and they said no that student would be in trouble.

If had problem with staff member you should of pm'd site admins who remain independent.

Also respect should be there in life in my mind in life you have respect for everyone until they prove otherwise...

Russ

Russ

Thank Post

Ageed with everything Russ said.

If you are on your own property then you can feel free to swear as much as you like, others that are on your property can feel free to leave if they don't like it.

But when you are at school, in most schools it is one of the rules that there is no swearing (i've never known this to exclude staff) and other people don't have the opportunity to leave if they don't like it as they work there.

I personally frown upon swearing anyway whether it is at work or anywhere else, so fortunately I have never been tempted to swear in front of anyone else where it could get me into trouble. I think this is a good habit to get into as it can potentially save a lot of accidents and grief in the future.

Thank Post

James
    You're not from the midlands area are you? I'm sure I did my city and guilds exams with a James Sumner at Derby college.

Thank Post

well that's that sorted then, not many people I know went to derby college and survived to tell the tale!

Thank Post

I am not asking about going into someones home & swearing - I am asking about respect.

ou were asked to not to swear by member of the staff you replied no....
    Thats because the person who asked me has rubbished my help for others before and for some reason likes to pick holes in my postings. And I am being asked to respect him ??!! I don't think so.

in my mind in life you have respect for everyone until they prove otherwise...
    Interesting, you would respect people who are possible criminals until you knew otherwise ? I think that comment makes my point as to you earn someones respect first in my opinion.
    Boy, I hope I'm allowed an opinion on this forum.....

Still, nothing like a healthy debate is there ?
    Next I be asked to respect Thatcher !!!!

Thank Post

In my opinion, everyone should recieve a basic level of respect no matter who they are. Then by their own actions they can influence the ammount of respect you have for them, if that is to loose some of your respect or to increase your respect for them is dependant on themselves and their actions.

Thank Post

@mattx: I would like to lay this matter to rest. The analogy of enterring someone's home and not respecting their issues is perfectly suitable in this instance.

Ultimately, this site is owned by Dos_Box who has decided that he does not want potentially offensive content on HIS site. You were politely reminded of this by a staff member and, instead of simply heeding this advice you have enflamed matters.

You are free to have your own opinions on matters - this was never questioned. I know that my opinions on some matters are disliked by others, however I do not openly voice these opinions in a public forum where they may cause offense.

I hope that we can draw a line under this situation and start afresh. If you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact myself as Tony has asked.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Interesting, you would respect people who are possible criminals until you knew otherwise ?
    Yes. I guess it is much like innocent until proven guilty. Everyone is a potential criminal.

If I am walking down the street and I open a shop door to walk in, I will hold the door open for the person behind me. I don't know that person at all, but I respect them enough to hold the door open for them. There are different kinds of respect and some kinds of respect people earn by "default" until "proven otherwise". I personally think not swearing in someones presence if they don't want it is something that is earned by "default".

(apologises for first post, I thought you meant staff at school had told you off).

Thank Post

The analogy of enterring someone's home and not respecting their issues is perfectly suitable in this instance.
    I am not in someone's home, I'm on an internet forum.

you were politely reminded of this by a staff member and, instead of simply heeding this advice you have enflamed matters.
    To make a point, one of the site admins DID NOT RESPECT my postings and now he is the person trying to tell me what to do. I think people need to be aware of that.

There are different kinds of respect and some kinds of respect people earn
    That I agree with, the problem I have is being asked to respect the site admins when one of the site admins does not respect a posting I made to try and help another member.

apologises for above post, I thought you meant staff at school had told you off
    No problem, I don't swear at school and anyway the main topic of debate I started was respect. Btw, I respect you for apologising.

@mattx: I would like to lay this matter to rest.
    Just when it was getting interesting too.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Matt

Geoff is not a site admin but he is staff member the only admins are myself, tony, ric and db...

Maybe just to clarify this site mods are here to moderate the forum they answer to admins who then answer to dos_box as the site owner.

He was acting on our behalf when we asked him to talk to you in private about a post.

As for internet public forum vs home analogy lets use this one then you wouldn't go into a shop and swear at the cashier.

When we are in public or not in my view we should have respect for one and other..

As for respecting Maggie Thatcher well can see your point on that one

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

p.s

I do understand you saying that don't know us from adam and have added something in 2.0 of this site to solve that...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    I do understand you saying that don't know us from adam and have added something in 2.0 of this site to solve that...

Russ
    Would that be the 200-word auto-biography entry requirement? 8)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Dare I ask what mattx said to start this all off so that others can avoid making the same mistake?

Thank Post

Dare I ask what mattx said to start this all off so that others can avoid making the same mistake?
    Not a great deal really, I used a few naughty words thats all and I got 'told off' for telling Geoff 'No' when he PMed me to stop. Geoff [ who likes to pick holes in my postings ] then told one of the site admins who told me I had to 'respect' site admins. I responded that I in my book you EARN respect and don't get it just because your an admin etc, and why was Geoff not respecting my posts....and he's site staff etc....
    So nothing really. :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information