+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Job Interview - Practical / Written tests in General; I have interviewed and employed IT Technicians at varying levels on 7 different occasions over the last few years. I ...
    Thank Post

Re: Job Interview - Practical / Written tests

I have interviewed and employed IT Technicians at varying levels on 7 different occasions over the last few years.

I rarely ask technical questions because the personality is more important. we do all sorts of tasks to try and find out the kind of person before going on to a formal interview.

The tasks have varied from Origami (to see how good people are at following instruction) to building newspaper towers (never though of doing it with giraffes though!).

The reason I rarely as technical quesitons is because we all have different tasks that we do day to day over and over, yet they are not the same for all of us. I bet loads of you regularly change network cards or put in memory upgrades, whereas I have not done that for years because we buy kit that never seems to need this doing. So I could well appear uneasy wth these tasks just because it has been so long since I have done the.

But if I can work out during the course of a day that someone is logical (always find the Rush Hour puzzle is a good way to test that with people) andhas the ability to learn quickly then do not need to worry if they can or cannot change a network card because I know I can show them and it will no longer be a problem.

We also get candidates to do a quick training session with a member of staff to see how patient they are and whether they can explain things easier.

By the end of the morning most people are so thrown by it, and enjoy it so much, that their real personalities come out.

Although I should not really be saying all this - I am advertising for another technician in the next couple of weeks and I have just given away the interview process!!

Thank Post

I didn't get the job, oh well

(They interviewed a previous employee which I guess added a bigger challenge!)

Least I had a day out and got to experience pre interview testing! And I got down from 32 odd to 12 to 5 which wasn't bad!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by googlemad

Least I had a day out and got to experience pre interview testing! And I got down from 32 odd to 12 to 5 which wasn't bad!
    What position were you interviewed for ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlemad

Its all expereience as you have said, so bad luck that you didn't get the job, but its good as you now know what to hopefully expect next time etc. and hopefully next time you will be lucky

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12