+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Government to compensate ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees in General; BBC News - Government to compensate ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees I can see why the claims have been made, I can ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts

Government to compensate ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees

BBC News - Government to compensate ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees

I can see why the claims have been made, I can even see why our government has had to pay compensation, what I don't understand is how the bl**dy American government have got away scot free?! It's their torture camp, they should at least contribute to the compensation payments!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They don't see it as wrong still...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    They don't see it as wrong still...
    I know, but it's infuriating that we got involved in a war that had absolutely zero to do with us because Blair desperately wanted Bush's approval (you could argue that it is everyone's responsibility to prevent terrorism, however I don't think we would have had the terrorist attacks in this country that we have had if we had never got involved, and anyway that doesn't help my rant!) and now we're paying the price for America's cruelty, and all this in a time when the country is financially crippled, also largely caused by the war.

It's about time this country got a leader who was willing to say no to the American's, the whole damned country gets more and more like America every year (and I'm not having a pop at the average American citizen, I'm talking pure politics here!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not that fussed about the compensation, the big question that worries me is how the hell did this happen in the first place?

Actually strike that, I think they should get every penny of that compensation and more - the only bit of it that disgusts me is that they'll be no public inquiry into how this evil was actually perpetrated upon the victims.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    I'm not that fussed about the compensation, the big question that worries me is how the hell did this happen in the first place?

Actually strike that, I think they should get every penny of that compensation and more - the only bit of it that disgusts me is that they'll be no public inquiry into how this evil was actually perpetrated upon the victims.
    I'm not disputing the compensation, what's making my blood boil is that America aren't contributing to it!

And I agree a public enquiry is needed, however playing devil's advocate, I can understand why it's not a good idea to be making a load of secret service intelligence publicly available in the middle of a war.. but it should definitely be dealt with once the conflict is over.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agree with both.

However I would rather be that way inclined than a Jordan/Pakistan/'Insert country here' harbouring/generating individuals that will commit these terrbile crimes.

I got very cross at 2 stories this week: The burning of the wreath on 11/11, and the mother who killed her son, then refused to recognise the legality of our courts because she believe al Qaeda is right etc etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm not disputing the compensation, what's making my blood boil is that America aren't contributing to it!
    One possible conclusion - they sanction torture, therefore they are actually evil. It's quite a scary thought.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got very cross at 2 stories this week: The burning of the wreath on 11/11, and the mother who killed her son, then refused to recognise the legality of our courts because she believe al Qaeda is right etc etc...
    I have to agree.

I also agree with the afghan war. They are helping stop terrorists attacking us and other countries. Its also help in the war against drugs as they are closing down people who grow the stuff.

But this is just what i feel....

Thank Post
    Indeed, it also infuriates me when people refuse to be judged by anything but a Shia court. At the risk of sounding like a BNP candidate (I'm not by the way!), that is not the way this country works, and if you want to be judged under Shia law, well then go to a country that practice it. I very much doubt we'd be given the same courtesy should we commit an offense abroad. It is my belief that when you enter another country, you are implicitly agreeing to obey and be judged by their law and belief system. And why should it be any other way?

I just want to end that by saying I am not racist, before I start getting that one thrown at me, I just can't understand a world where people think it is acceptable to travel wherever they want to and refuse to obey that countries law and belief system: if you don't like or agree with it, don't go there! I know I won't!

10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

joe90bass (16th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I have to agree.

I also agree with the afghan war. They are helping stop terrorists attacking us and other countries. Its also help in the war against drugs as they are closing down people who grow the stuff.

But this is just what i feel....
    As do I (again, personal opinion). Osama and his lot have attacked many countries and needs to be taken out. As did Saddam. Ok the reasons for going were rubbish, I kinda wish they had told the truth and said 'we wanna get rid of Saddam he is a nasty person and needs to go', which is the truth. Just like Mugarbi's time will come too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As do I (again, personal opinion). Osama and his lot have attacked many countries and needs to be taken out. As did Saddam. Ok the reasons for going were rubbish, I kinda wish they had told the truth and said 'we wanna get rid of Saddam he is a nasty person and needs to go', which is the truth. Just like Mugarbi's time will come too.
    Im not sure on the Iraq to be honest i haven't looked into it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame really that 'because it's an evil person who is torturing their own citizens, starving them, killing people and preventing basic human rights' is not considered a better justification than 'maybe they've got WMDs'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Indeed, it also infuriates me when people refuse to be judged by anything but a Shia court. At the risk of sounding like a BNP candidate (I'm not by the way!), that is not the way this country works, and if you want to be judged under Shia law, well then go to a country that practice it. I very much doubt we'd be given the same courtesy should we commit an offense abroad. It is my belief that when you enter another country, you are implicitly agreeing to obey and be judged by their law and belief system. And why should it be any other way?

I just want to end that by saying I am not racist, before I start getting that one thrown at me, I just can't understand a world where people think it is acceptable to travel wherever they want to and refuse to obey that countries law and belief system: if you don't like or agree with it, don't go there! I know I won't!
    Neither am I but agree totally with the above. Remember the woman jailed for having sex in public in Dubai, granted it was stupid (thing to do) but was correct because it is their law.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The problem is the way they went about it: it was an invasion, and they carpet bombed the hell out of the place, killing thousands of innocent people. What do you think that did for global terrorism? I know if it had been the other way around, and England had been bombed by an invading country killing my friends and family indiscriminately, I'd be straight down the recruitment office.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is your own stupid fault as a British citizen for going to Afghanistan or the boarders of Pakistan!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast